Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: cchunter in africa - july 2003 - report

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
cchunter in africa - july 2003 - report
      #3922 - 28/07/03 11:52 AM

cchunter in Africa july 2003 – part one

I said goodbye to wife and children close to the passport control at Landvetter airport, Gothenburg. This time I was travelling alone to South Africa for seven days hunting. For some reason I took a seat so I could watch the loading of the luggage, and I could not see them load my gun case. At the boarding I asked them to confirm that they loaded weapon and ammo, but they had not. So after searching all over the airport they finally found it and loaded it.

After the plane change in Amsterdam, I meet Jasper and his girlfriend in Johannesburg. We made a quick stop in Pretoria were we had breakfast and meet Frederik (Safari-Hunt). When we finally arrived in Messina in the afternoon we changed from the sedan to the bakkie and went to buy soft drinks, beer and liquor. In the camp we installed us and shot in the rifle. When the sun was down the other hunters arrived in camp and we sat by the fire for a drink before dinner.

Early the next morning we were driving along the fence on our way to the waterhole to check the tracks from last night. Suddenly we see four Bush pigs coming over the road and sneaking under the fence, with just one problem. The last one is too big for the hole so he starts to run along the fence as we jumps out of the car trying to get a shot at him. With a moving target on 150 yards plus and no good rest I can’t take a killing shot so we have to see him disappear into the bush.

At the waterhole we find fresh tracks from Blue Wildebeest that we decides to take on. After an hour we can see the heard and realises that there is no big bull there. This is how the first day moves on and we are after Zebras and Impalas too without result.

The second day is set up for the Eland and we move on about 15 miles west from the camp to another area. On the way to pick up the tracker we see a lot of nice Impalas and some other game. During the day we walks almost all the time and follow tracks and once in a while we bumps into some Elands. None of them are though the big bulls that we know should be in the area.

In the afternoon we decide to take an Impala for the video and that works out well. I pick the largest male in a heard and give him a broadside on 150 yards with the 270 grains Rhino bullet which makes the work fine. Later on we look for baboons along the Limpopo River but they are teasing us on the neighbour side.

On our way back to our camp we have a great ride with a lot of game to view. At the fire the sun downer tastes good after all walking in thick bush during the day. For dinner we have Impala made over the fire. At around midnight the bed is calling.

Friday morning, back hunting on the camp area and we have a nice stalk on Blue Wildebeest. We can see that there is a big bull in the heard and the only problem is to get him free for a shot. We moves in position and there is no way to shot since the heard is moving and the dust is protecting them. Finally after about five minutes of position changes they have had enough of us and start running. Two Zebras runs just in front of the car and we takes on there track but it seems that they are running so we walks back to the car.

We moves on to the kopje were we should meet the others for a nice braii. On the menu there is Impala meat, sausage and toast, but before the lunch we stalk after an Eland bull that the other saw resting, our luck is somewhere else and we can only hear him when he walks away from us.

After lunch the young Dutch that are staying in the camp rides with us on the bakkie. Maybe he brings good luck because after only ten minutes in the afternoon we spots a Steenbok and after a short walk I can take the shot within 30 yards and he is down directly.

Later in the afternoon we find Eland tracks. We walk for them a long way, but when we find them the bulls are to small. The sun sets and we drives back to camp. On the way we have another chance with the Wildebeests but the opportunities are to short for finding the bull and take the shot. We also stalks a nice Kudu bull with the bow and manages to get him wiyhin 35 yards when we get some thick thorn bushes in our way that we can’t go through without making two much noise.

After a nice dinner we enter the bakkie and heads for Messina to see what the Friday night has to offer. At Harris that seems to be the #1 place we meet a lot of interesting people and there is also a lot to watch. I almost don’t know what to do with all these beauties to watch.

No, no, I am not talking about girls if you thought that. Here at Harris the walls are covered with trophies of different animals and they sure looks like something I would like to bring home. We have a nice evening and on the way back the biltong we had from Jaspers father tastes good. Our planes for the Saturday hunt are changed a little bit due to the late hours.

To be continued……..

--------------------

Christer Hansson

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: cchunter in africa - july 2003 - report [Re: cchunter]
      #3937 - 29/07/03 03:01 PM

Great photos and very nice steenbok.

Looking forward to the rest of it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
Re: cchunter in africa - july 2003 - report [Re: NitroX]
      #3994 - 08/08/03 09:31 AM

Part two

Saturday morning early, the camp is very calm. No one is awake so our planes are not going to well but we had a nice evening and night at Harris. At nine we have our breakfast and then we are out again for the hunt. The time before lunch we spend driving around for smaller game like Impala and others and when we get some Pheasants in sights I decide to try one with the bow from the car. The distance is about 25 yards and the hit is perfect, the bird just takes of and the n drops down to the ground. I have taken my first game with my bow and that feels great.

After lunch me and Bastiaan spends a couple hours in a tree house over a waterhole watching for something to shot with the bow. The only thing we see is the 1 yard long croc in the pond and some Guinea fowls.

Later we take of to the top for some tracking in the area. We see some Elands but there are only females and young males. Also a couple of Oryx and Ostriches cross our road. Suddenly we see a Blue Wildebeest bull just walking slowly 100 yards parallel to the road without noticing us. We steps down from the bakkie and starts tracking. Soon we realise that he is not alone but what we saw was the end of the heard. Then it all goes quick. From a small opening we can spot about ten Zebra and they are crowding together, when one of the bigger one are free I fire the shot and then all is chaos; dust all over, five Wildebeest coming right on us and Zebras all over, and then after some seconds everything is quiet again. Kinbelie our tracker finds blood and we follow him. The Zebra is standing 80 meters away broadside as I take the second shot and she starts to go down. The first shot has taken a little back and even if the second one is better she is not prepared to die yet, so she struggles a bit but the fact is getting to her and she is down.

After a lot of walking for Zebra this time and in May this shows how hunting can be. When you walks for one animal and you ends up with another that you did not expect this time. However I am really happy to have my Zebra and after the skinning was done I got the recovered bullets that really made me satisfied with my choice of the 270 grains Rhino Bullets for my 375 H&H.

Back in camp we starts to pack, we are going to Zimbabwe for a one day Warthog hunt in some Orange fields by a friend of Jasper. After dinner we are of to pick up some stuff at Jaspers house and meet his friend at the pub. At the pub we are suppoused to stay for about 10 minutes for some friends talk but after three hours and a lot of friends I grab Andrew and Jasper and we are on our way to the border.

What we thought would be the hardest here was the gun but that shows up to be the car and the time all paperwork takes. Extra time for bringing my own gun was only five minutes. After the border we have about an hour to drive before we reach the farm that is situated along the Limpopo river. At three a clock we are to bed and that feels great. We skip breakfast and settles with some fresh orange juice and at nine we are of. It only takes a couple of minutes until we see the first pigs and when we have a big one just along the road we decides to give it a try. Since I want it on video and there is so many of them I decides that it’s worth loosing some of the opportunities waiting for the camcorder to leave the stand by mode and record. And this is such a moment, luckily for me. We see him ran of into the bush and decides to walk for him, just 20 yards from the road we see another one sleeping and Jasper tells me to shot. It is a Bush pig and after the lung shot it runs for 40 yards. When we finally get it to the road we can see it’s a big one.

Up with it on the bakkie and then away. Now we wait until we are in the plantations and there it is plenty of pigs. We estimate around 3 to 400 during the day. They are standing in the lines and we most of the times shot them from the car. After a while w e decides to go back for some food but we are often stopped to load more pigs and when we finally gets to the place where we will drop them of we count to seven pigs (6 Warthogs and 1 Bush pig) in three hours.

Lunch is indeed good and then we are of again. Another two pigs are shot before we get an offer we can’t refuse. There are three Blue Wildebeests on the area that we are allowed to shot for a good price and one of them is a bull. So I will take the first shot and then Jasper and then me again if possible.

They are not hard to find and I take the bull with a neck shot 100 yards away, then the two other runs to our side and in the same distance about Jasper takes the second one with a frontal shot. The third gets to spooked from this and we never get the chance for that one.

On the way back I take another Warthog that after the shot runs about 100 yards, maybe not so much but right in to thorn bushes so we have about 45 minutes to find it and take it out. My leg looks like ****.

As the evening is approaching we decides to try a last pig with the bow at a feeding place and it doesn’t takes long before I have my chance. I can see that the arrow is placed perfect behind the shoulder going forward in the lungs, distance about 15 yards. We find blood but it takes time to track and when it gets dark we have only got about 150 yards. The day after when we are back in South Africa they are supposed to put a tracker on the spoor.

The sun downer is delayed because of the tracking and we can’t enjoy the view from Fly Camp. After dinner we heads for the border again and after spending less then 24 hours in Zimbabwe we are back again in camp Evelyn at eleven pm with no problems at all.

To be continued….

--------------------

Christer Hansson

Happy Birthday SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
Re: cchunter in africa - july 2003 - report [Re: cchunter]
      #4009 - 11/08/03 09:05 PM

Christer,

Those rhino bullets really did perform really well I suppose the pigs dropped on the spot most of the time ?

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1784

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com