Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Unusual question on African hunting

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
Unusual question on African hunting
      #85665 - 15/09/07 11:43 AM

I noticed on some of the TV hunts for African big game as well as some photos of hunters with game, it seems common for at least some of the group-whether the PH, client or whoever-is wearing shorts. Wondering how common it is to run across cobras, mambas and such during a hunt. I don't hunt in true venomous snake country-Some timber rattlesnakes are found close to here but I've never seen a wild one, but I do know that in a lot of cases long pants and heavy boots are recommended and might be what keeps fangs from reaching your shin in the event of a bite.
Considering how much more deadly a cobra or mamba bite is than a big rattler I would think thr recommendation would carry over to Africa, but of course I've never hunted there-are the hunting seasons during the "off season" for snakes, or are they just not as much aof an issue as I thought?

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
S2in470
.224 member

Reged: 17/03/05
Loc: Waxahachie Texas
Re: Unusual question on African hunting [Re: Shackleton]
      #85668 - 15/09/07 01:00 PM

I am by no means a herpetologist but the cobras and mambas belong to the same snake family (Elapidae) which among other things; are known for powerful venom and “raising up” (as in 4-5 feet) to either intimidate or strike at humans should they encounter them. That said pants, boots, etc. won’t do much for you. I always go in August, which is wintertime, so most snakes are out of sight anyway. The real biggie for pants is thorns, as damn near everything in Africa that grows has thorns!

Shackleton
.300 member

Re: Unusual question on African hunting [Re: S2in470]
      #85671 - 15/09/07 01:44 PM

Good point on the issue of them lifting above boot level-I hadn't looked at it that way(and I study reptiles as a hobby). Then again, if it lifted that high it would likely be seen first. I was thinking more along the lines of accidentally stepping on one-but if you're watching for game sign you'd probably see it first too. Maybe we've figured out why bites don't seem to be an issue, especially if most hunts take place in their winter like your hunts do.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

yukon_delta
.224 member

Reged: 15/07/07
Loc: Palmer, Alaska
      #85673 - 15/09/07 03:01 PM

I hunted in pants on my first day in Zim this June. After that, it was shorts the rest of the hunt. It was just too hot when we were chasing elephant up and down the Escarpment to wear pants. Sure the legs get scratched up but that's no big deal in order to be cool and comfortable. They are also more quiet unless you squeal when scratched. If that's the case then you're better off just not going.

As to wearing pants to protect against snakebite, your pants are not going to save you. I remember a guy that used to catch rattlers and put them into a mailbag thinking the bag was safe to carry on his back. My friend pushed the bag off the tailgate of the truck and fangs shot through the thick canvas bag and venom went everywhere. The guy turned white as a ghost as he had carried them that way for years.

Shackleton
.300 member

Re: Unusual question on African hunting [Re: yukon_delta]
      #85675 - 15/09/07 03:19 PM

Good point regarding fang length-I knew that pants could be bitten through, but pants over boots with a low level bite was what I was thinking of(lower calf or below) . Not that long pants are a cure-all protection, just that in some cases they might help-again, a nonissue if the snakes aren't out when you're hunting-looks like it's a minimal concern anyway or we wouldn't see the shorts.
Goes back to the idea of the fact you're watching the ground anyway-and I guess with dangerous game you're watching the ground and surroundings a lot closer than shooting rabbits in a back field-that helps too. Must not be much of a concern at all.

--------------------

yukon_delta
.224 member

#85676 - 15/09/07 04:10 PM

Yes, it's interesting how much one pays attention to the ground and how you place your feet when hunting DG. I was constantly looking for a quiet place to put my boot onto. That takes a lot of concentration. However, we were hunting in grass over our heads and couldn't see our feet at times. Kind of a strange scenario.

As to snakes, there not usually an issue. Out of hundreds of hunters every year, I don't know anyone who was ever bitten.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #85679 - 15/09/07 08:28 PM

I hunted in July,the African winter and STILL found manba tracks to water at various waterholes!!

The PH stated they had killed a mamba at a watering hole a month earlier.

The PH and trackers just waded right into the thick brush--just guess you have to be lucky about snakes--personally I can't stand them--I have run into cotton mouths regulsrly when hunting whitetail around ponds/beaver dams--

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Unusual question on African hunting [Re: hoppdoc]
      #85680 - 15/09/07 10:45 PM

Maybe it's prudence, maybe it's something else, but I used to follow in trace behind the tracker, assuming that if there were to be a snake, he would see it. Then I heard somewhere that snakes usually bite the second person.....

That said, the only snake I ever saw in Africa was crossing a road with his head well off the ground. I asked the PH what it was, and he said a mamba. I was a little reluctant to dismount from the hunting car after that, but I got over it.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Unusual question on African hunting [Re: xausa]
      #85684 - 15/09/07 11:07 PM

My first hunt in Zim was in the end of August and we actually killed a mamba--saw several cobras and adders...

My next two hunts took place in June and I saw two while hunting--along with the others

As to pants, I agree with Yukon, shorts are much more comfortable--however if you have really hairy legs you may wish to trim them back a bit as "everything" sticks to them in Africa..

Pants won't help one bit if a snake did strike--we have rattlesnakes where I live--of the people that get bit every year--they wear pants, shorts, or their whatever... snakes are really cool that way in that they don't discriminate..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

JLS
.224 member

Reged: 25/07/04
Loc: Co
Re: Unusual question on African hunting [Re: Ripp]
      #85692 - 16/09/07 12:51 AM

...bear in mind when hunting in Africa, you, as a client won't be breaking trail, there will be a tracker, P/H, then the you. The likely-hood of getting bitten is really remote. After all, human beings are NOT on the menu for snakes. They will slither off, and be out of your way. Also, if snake bite were an issue, there would certainly be more "press" showing up on this, and other forums.

FYI, My next trip to Africa will make 22. Counting the days I've spent in the bush is pushing 600. In all that time, I've seen two mambas, three puff adders, one Egyptian cobra, one horned adder, three boomslangs, one python (small), and perhaps a half dozen non-poison types. (an average of one poisoness snake every 60 days!) Nyoka, has not been a factor in any of my time in Africa. I would suggest however, have a small flash light available for walking about in the evening as puff adders do like to lay on the trails to absorb the heat of the day. Quite a number of indigenous Africans are bitten at night because of this fact.

As far as shorts, I find them to be far more comfortable than longs. Longs, in my experience, seem to get snagged more on the many thorns than does my hide.

sala gahle

yukon_delta
.224 member

Re: Unusual question on African hunting [Re: JLS]
      #85698 - 16/09/07 02:23 AM

Over 22 safaris you've spent almost 600 days in the field? That's an average of 27 days on every safari. Serious?

JLS
.224 member

#85721 - 16/09/07 06:51 AM

...serious as a heart attack.
Shortest ten days (SA) longest forty-five days (Zim) Nineteen times to Zim shortest 18 days; longest 45 days. Several years I was in Zim twice for extended periods (30-45 days) I admit I've been fortunate to have gone often, and stayed long.

Edited by JLS (16/09/07 07:19 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #85725 - 16/09/07 07:34 AM

Quote:

...serious as a heart attack.
Shortest ten days (SA) longest forty-five days (Zim) Nineteen times to Zim shortest 18 days; longest 45 days. Several years I was in Zim twice for extended periods (30-45 days) I admit I've been fortunate to have gone often, and stayed long.

are you looking to adopt??
Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

JLS
.224 member

Re: Unusual question on African hunting [Re: Ripp]
      #85727 - 16/09/07 09:00 AM

...very likely you would be less of a cost item. My wife usually goes, and she hunts as well. So it costs me twice as much!! But, I wouldn't have it any other way! I must admit, watching her brain a jumbo was quite an experience. She shoots a .416 Taylor, and loves it.

yukon_delta
.224 member

#85730 - 16/09/07 09:51 AM

email to JLS

Schamankungulo
.300 member

Reged: 21/04/07
      #85733 - 16/09/07 10:12 AM

We saw numerous snakes , but the trackers are there first , they dont even seem to give them a second thought ..
Shorts definetly ..

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Unusual question on African hunting [Re: Schamankungulo]
      #85737 - 16/09/07 10:56 AM

Quote:

We saw numerous snakes , but the trackers are there first , they dont even seem to give them a second thought ..
Shorts definetly ..

Yes the trackers stir them up a bit, ready for your nice flashy white legs next .

Schamankungulo
.300 member

Reged: 21/04/07
Re: Unusual question on African hunting [Re: ozhunter]
      #85744 - 16/09/07 12:11 PM

Oz , where are you in Sydney ?? Me best mate is in Newport .. He'll be up in February ..

ozhunter
.400 member

Re: Unusual question on African hunting [Re: Schamankungulo]
      #85748 - 16/09/07 01:55 PM

I live four beaches south of Newport beach (6km's south) .

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #85761 - 16/09/07 11:49 PM

Quote:

I noticed on some of the TV hunts for African big game as well as some photos of hunters with game, it seems common for at least some of the group-whether the PH, client or whoever-is wearing shorts. Wondering how common it is to run across cobras, mambas and such during a hunt. I don't hunt in true venomous snake country-Some timber rattlesnakes are found close to here but I've never seen a wild one, but I do know that in a lot of cases long pants and heavy boots are recommended and might be what keeps fangs from reaching your shin in the event of a bite.
Considering how much more deadly a cobra or mamba bite is than a big rattler I would think thr recommendation would carry over to Africa, but of course I've never hunted there-are the hunting seasons during the "off season" for snakes, or are they just not as much aof an issue as I thought?

I've never been too concerned about snakes in the African bush, however I do think about them quite a bit when hunting in the Aussie bush.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

ozhunter
.400 member

Re: Unusual question on African hunting [Re: NitroX]
      #85762 - 16/09/07 11:51 PM

NitroX,
Me too...

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #85774 - 17/09/07 02:29 AM

yukon_delta
.224 member

Re: Unusual question on African hunting [Re: EricD]
      #85775 - 17/09/07 03:02 AM

Riverboarding in Uganda...interesting. Any photos?

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #85786 - 17/09/07 06:27 AM

_

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Unusual question on African hunting [Re: EricD]
      #85800 - 17/09/07 11:23 AM

The rapids at Jinja are reportedly to be very popular with white water rafters as well, similar to the Zambezi rapids.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4318

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com