Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris [Re: NitroX]
      #67593 - 21/12/06 08:31 AM

Can You be more explicit?
it's my 421 th posts

Edited by larcher (21/12/06 08:38 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Boomer
.300 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: The Hudson Bay Coast, Canada
Re: Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris [Re: allenday]
      #67707 - 22/12/06 02:32 AM

When they have a good story, why let the truth get in the way? I don't participate there any more.

When I pointed out to Mark that some of these forums got pretty nasty, he was unconcerned. "There is no bad publicity," he said. Apparently the Sullivan slamers help sell as many videos as the Sullivan supporters.

--------------------

Dave_Hall
.300 member

Reged: 09/12/06
Loc: PA. ,U.S.A.
Re: Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris [Re: Boomer]
      #67713 - 22/12/06 04:59 AM

I love watching Mark's dvd's. I have a few dvd's from others from over the years,but mostly they bore the hell out of me compared to Mark's.I hope he makes a lot more of them,and a other book.Dave

If someone gets the chance to talk to Mark ask him if can come out with some t-shirts or coffee mugs
with the N.E.Safaris logo on them.Thanks

--------------------
The Great .458
45-90 WCF
45-120 Sharps
450 Nitro Express
2011 Ruger SP-101 4.2" 357 MAG.

capebuf
.275 member

Reged: 04/12/06
Loc: IL USA
Re: Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris [Re: Dave_Hall]
      #67723 - 22/12/06 08:18 AM

Hello everyone i cant believe the BS they are saying about mark suliivan on accurate reloading ive spoken to mark sullivan many many times hes a good person and in my opinion a great ph i would rank him in the top 5 phs in the world, all the assumtions and lies are just terrible its character assasination and the morons that are saying that stuff sound so stupid they would not have the balls to walk up to a wounded buffalo like mark, one guy said that mark was gay whats that all about and another thing is that marks movies are the real deal there is no editing what you see is what you get,they make it sound like mark has a meeting with the cape buffalos and the hippos and tells them when to charge for the camera thats just insane i have all of marks movies and his book and they are all good, ive also have spoken to some of his clients and not one had a bad safari with mark, anyway have a nice christmas and new year all the best.........

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris [Re: capebuf]
      #67733 - 22/12/06 11:39 AM

capebuf, it sounds like Mark Sullivan is the PH for you! I recommend booking a hunt right away before he sells all of his quota for 2007. His style of hunting obviously does not appeal to some, but what is important is that the hunt is conducted in a way that will maximize your enjoyment of it.

capebuf
.275 member

Re: Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris [Re: 500grains]
      #67745 - 22/12/06 02:43 PM

500grains im giving my opinion of mark sullivan, and yes one day i will hunt with him his prices are a little steep for me know so what your saying to me what does that have to do with my opinion of mark sullivan and the character assasination that others are saying about mark,also you said that his style of hunting doesnt appeal to others you mean the BS and the assumtions that people say about him and the nieve people that believe the BS,example he charges $50k for a buffalo to charge,let me ask you this in your opinion who is your top ph.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #67769 - 22/12/06 05:37 PM

Quote:

Hello everyone i cant believe the BS they are saying about mark suliivan on accurate reloading ive spoken to mark sullivan many many times hes a good person and in my opinion a great ph i would rank him in the top 5 phs in the world, all the assumtions and lies are just terrible its character assasination and the morons that are saying that stuff sound so stupid they would not have the balls to walk up to a wounded buffalo like mark, one guy said that mark was gay whats that all about and another thing is that marks movies are the real deal there is no editing what you see is what you get,they make it sound like mark has a meeting with the cape buffalos and the hippos and tells them when to charge for the camera thats just insane i have all of marks movies and his book and they are all good, ive also have spoken to some of his clients and not one had a bad safari with mark, anyway have a nice christmas and new year all the best.........

"capebuf"

Why not discuss it with those guys there if you have such strong opinions on what the various guys there say.

Its probably better we let the goings on over there stay over there and have our own discussions here.

But the guy saying MS is "gay" and all the crap, without evuidence, would be asked to refrain from such slander on NE. I'm not into letting a forum be turned into a character assasination fest. Prefer we discuss real hunting and shooting topics instead.

Everyone has their own opinion. And someone like Mark Sullivan always seems to generate a strong opinion either way. Which is fair enough. Shows he can market himself so he gets good market awareness.

Myself I listen to people that have actual first hand experience of hunting with him, VS what his videos show. Videos are light entertainment and designed to be that way.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (22/12/06 06:06 PM)

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Reged: 27/04/06
Loc: Canada
      #67800 - 23/12/06 12:36 AM

now that's moderating at it's finest!

Well said NitroX

I have met MS several times at SCI shows and he must be doing something right cuz he's usually busier than a one armed paper hanger writing up contracts and shooting the breeze with past and prospective clients.

I think it was two years ago when Mark brought his lead tracker to the show with him and you could see that this guy hadn't been this far from home and it was probably his first time off of the Dark Continent. It was obvious that those clients who had hunted with Mark and his team remembered this tracker and were just as pleased to see him as they were to see Mark. I dont know MS at all, other than to nod and say hello in the aisles of the shows, but from what I see, he seems a very poilte and attentive fellow.

as an aside, the tracker was not of much assistance to Mark in the booth as he was entirely out of his element, but it was more than obvious that he was happy as hell to be there and I thought it was a class act on MS part to have brought him to see the "other side of the hunt"

just my personal observations....

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,
Speak not of what you do not know.
Listen up when it's time to.

capebuf
.275 member

Re: Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris [Re: Double_Trouble]
      #67808 - 23/12/06 02:04 AM

nitrox i have discussed it over there i just seen the topic here on mark sullivan ive gave my opinion and im done have a nice christmas and new year all the best.........

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
      #67812 - 23/12/06 02:38 AM

John, I agree with you on all points.

Many rather slanderous comments are made on internet hunting boards (by individuals hiding under assumed names) that would never, EVER be said in a face-to-face situation. If some of the MS critics are so very righteous and confident in what they say, then where are they during the SCI convention, when Mark is there and in person? If those same critics are so sure of themselves, why do they miss their golden opportunity to take their case right straight to Sullivan himself?

I think the answer is obvious, proving once again that a liar and a coward are usually one in the same...........

AD

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #67814 - 23/12/06 02:50 AM

Quote:

let me ask you this in your opinion who is your top ph.

The top PH is the one who:

1. Books a hunt for you in a quality area for the game you are seeking.

2. Works diligently to get you within range of the game that you seek and gives you a fair assessment of trophy quality.

3. Is easy to get along with and a good hunting companion for the duration of the safari.

4. Charges fairly for the service rendered.

For each of us the top PH is likely to be different.

But if your question is who is the best PH in all of Africa, I must say that there are many, not one.

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
Re: Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris [Re: 500grains]
      #67816 - 23/12/06 02:57 AM

500 grs., you're right, there are indeed many fine PHs in Africa, and not just one. To name just a few I've hunted with besides MS, John Sharp, Peter Wood, Mike Curry, and Steve Tors are as good as I could ever ask to hunt with, anywhere, and I would love to hunt with any of them again.

AD

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#67837 - 23/12/06 04:55 AM

Quote:

nitrox i have discussed it over there i just seen the topic here on mark sullivan ive gave my opinion and im done have a nice christmas and new year all the best.........

capebuf and other members, see my reasoning below.

Look if people want to say MS is unethical because it their opinion he doesn't finish off game fast enough or instruct the client to do so, that is fair enough. That is their opinion and they are entitled to it.

I haven't seen any of the latest videos BTW, the last I think was "Sudden Death". Maybe later ones are different.

If they say he encourages charges, or manipulates them, based on the evidence of the videos, that can't be far from the truth.

To encourage a charge a particular formula might be used. A buffalo that is not dead, maybe lung shot. It need not be gut shot at all. Buffalo don't die instantly unless the spine or brain are hit. Then approach the beast on the ground front on, preferably with wind going towards them. Most PHs ALWAYS advise approaching from behind a downed buffalo for that reason. Because it is dangerous to approach an alive beast from the front.

I'm definitely no expert at all and don't pretend to be one.

If they say he shoots too many of his clients animals, based ONLY on the video footage, then I understand that view.

If they say they don't like the way he speaks, or how he boasts etc on videos, fair enough too. Its their opinion.

But it is not on to start slandering a guy eg calling him "gay". That is just moronic and childish.

If they invent nasty 'gossip' or things they have "heard", they should be able to elaborate with some facts to back it up. Lots of competitors often say things about other outfitters, guess why? In fact it is easy to get almost every PH to start bagging the opposition with the right prompts.

My main two points I take into account are:
1. Videos are edited film footage. They are made to sell videos. They aren't exactly representative of how all client hunts go. Not having first hand experience I reserve judgement.

I will probably never have first hand personal experience either as I won't be booking with him.

2. As for first hand experience, or really second hand experience, all of his clients (two or three) that have spoken up on the internet discussions seem to say his safaris are done well and they all have been happy. Many re-book. Satisfied clients are a big drawcard.

Until someone comes up with an actual first-hand experience of a negative kind, well then that would be different.

My main reason for posting the reply to 'capebuf' was I have no intention of NE to become an AR bashing forum. We have always had the 'informal' policy of not bringing any issues overthere to here and hopefully vice-versa. Actually we have had known AR 'trolls' on here that have joined in here constructively and enjoyed this forum as a result in a positive manner. Lets keep it that way.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris [Re: Double_Trouble]
      #67839 - 23/12/06 05:00 AM

Quote:

I think it was two years ago when Mark brought his lead tracker to the show with him and you could see that this guy hadn't been this far from home and it was probably his first time off of the Dark Continent. It was obvious that those clients who had hunted with Mark and his team remembered this tracker and were just as pleased to see him as they were to see Mark. I dont know MS at all, other than to nod and say hello in the aisles of the shows, but from what I see, he seems a very poilte and attentive fellow.

as an aside, the tracker was not of much assistance to Mark in the booth as he was entirely out of his element, but it was more than obvious that he was happy as hell to be there and I thought it was a class act on MS part to have brought him to see the "other side of the hunt"

That's rather cool of him to provide his tracker with that experience. And we would just be "out of our elements" at a big native party I think he is environment.

While on that subject ie the tracker. On my first safari my wife, I, the PH and the PHs tracker had the opportunity to do two or more flights as game spotters on a live game helicopter capture operation. It was the first time Judea, the tracker had ever been in a plane or chopper. He enjoyed it a lot.

Some of the trackers when they speak enough English to be able to chat with, turn out to be quite nice guys and characters.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7331

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com