Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mark Sullivan

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Mark Sullivan [Re: Boomer]
      #58716 - 13/06/06 11:03 AM

Does his contract still stipulate that he owns the rights to all photos and video taken on the hunt?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: Mark Sullivan [Re: mickey]
      #58720 - 13/06/06 11:53 AM

His prices do not seem all that expensive to me.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

Boomer
.300 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: The Hudson Bay Coast, Canada
Re: Mark Sullivan [Re: mickey]
      #59016 - 19/06/06 01:19 PM

I was asked to sign a "Model Release", so I believe the answer is yes.

--------------------

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
      #59021 - 19/06/06 03:16 PM

You need to look very carefully indeed at Tanzania pricing. There are a lot of odds and sods that can add up on the bottom line. One company may include all the rifle import, permit fees, conservation fees, dip and pack & Gvt export fee etc and another may not include any of those in the quoted price.........

I'd recommend you look at the bottom line price for whatever type of hunt you want and then compare it to similar packages from a variety of companies.

Also check the contract carefully for name of PH you'll be hunting with etc.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (19/06/06 03:18 PM)

OWD
.224 member

Reged: 21/03/06
Loc: New England, USA
Re: Mark Sullivan [Re: shakari]
      #59905 - 13/07/06 08:50 AM

What's the deal with this guy, anyway? There's a lot of bombast and BS on his site:

"I would instead go back even farther to when man and beast could fight to the death, and the victor would respect his opponent's loss."

and

"Rather than deciding the fate of a wounded Cape buffalo by simply blasting him into oblivion on the follow-up, I would confront the grand warrior with my double rifle, and beckon him to choose his own destiny."

What a joke - it's like a parody of a bad Hemingway parody.

Is he intentionally wounding the animals instead of doing his best to drop them dead as quickly as possible?

And if he's so tough, why is he using a gun? If he really wants to to "...go back even father...," why doesn't he use a spear?

That's how the Africans did it for a very long time.

OWD

--------------------
Obsessed with Doubles

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Mark Sullivan [Re: OWD]
      #59969 - 15/07/06 02:10 AM

I like the way some Africans used to hunt buffalo. They would track a dagga boy at a jog for 30 miles or so until the dagga boy was so winded he just stood and stared at the Africans. Then they speared him in the lungs.

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Re: Mark Sullivan [Re: armbar]
      #59983 - 15/07/06 04:55 PM

You are absolutely right.What I do'nt like about this chap is that he shoots along with the client sometimes even before him and then praises the client.

Grizzly
.333 member

Reged: 05/12/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas, USA
Re: Mark Sullivan [Re: iqbal]
      #60126 - 19/07/06 10:19 AM

The guy is a salesman. No doubt he is a good shot, but he has apparently never heard of a hangfire or a dud.

Rifles are for reaching out and touching your quarry. Eliminating the need to provoke a charge.

I read his book, and the "I'll let the animal decide how it wants to die" is circus BS.

I can imagine this guy going about a normal day...

"I staked out a table at a nice restaurant. Rather than dictate the cooking method, I decided to let the cook decide how he wants to fry"

"I was seated in 4F on a Boeing 767. Rather than visit with the crew, I decided to let the pilot decide how he wants to fly".

"Shopping with my wife, I decided to let her decide how she wants to buy"

Let's add to it.

--------------------
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member
DRSS Member

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Mark Sullivan [Re: Grizzly]
      #60132 - 19/07/06 08:09 PM

I've alread decided how I'm going to sigh!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Boomer
.300 member

Re: Mark Sullivan [Re: Marrakai]
      #60785 - 04/08/06 06:29 AM

I've just returned home after a month in Tanzania, and 10 days hunting with Mark Sullivan. The trip in general and the hunting in particular was beyond my wildest expectations. I paid for the thrills and got them.

Mark Sullivan in person is down to earth and personable, but his take-charge personality quickly instills a feeling of confidence from his clients. He is extremely knowledgeable concerning all subjects pertinent to African hunting. We did not agree on all points, but what fun would that be? And hunting with Mark is fun! He has a good crew, and takes pride in them. Ali has been his tracker for a dozen years.

Given the opportunity, I will hunt again with Mark Sullivan! His detractors don't seem to understand that most folks who hunt with Mark want to book again. I can only conclude that many of those who criticize Sullivan, are actually critical of the persona in the videos, although there are those who know better and are critical from a position of professional jealousy. Mark remains unconcerned about the mud slinging. He will not participate on the forums, although I have urged him to, because frankly some of the stuff over at AR can get pretty nasty. "There is no bad publicity - it all sells videos." (MS) Mark has chosen to become a public figure, and as such he accepts that there will be slings and arrows.

Here are a couple of points for those who might be interested. Mark did not use his .600 Nitro last year or this year. It developed a habit of doubling, so he has returned to the .577 and is attempting to get the problem resolved. Also, there is a new book in the works, although I am unsure when it is due for release.

I will post the details of our trip on it's own thread.

--------------------

Preacher
.224 member

Reged: 17/07/06
Loc: Guinea
Re: Mark Sullivan [Re: Grizzly]
      #60792 - 04/08/06 08:05 AM

What it really make me nervous is the way this gentleman speaks to clients (at least to the ones shown on videos). Just about like their were 6 y.o. kids. Placing his hand on the clientīs shoulder and giving some stupid explanations worth of abnormal people.
That kind of safari are bloody expensive to turn it into a hunting lesson.
Let the client hunt a little, and if heīs going wrong someway, then correct, and if an animal charges, then stop it. Thatīs what this man is paid for. But this is a wide spread defect of many phīs, for whose the client doesnīt seem to be of any importance.
Wounding for provocation and things like that donīt worth comments.

p.s: I though have the hope that this man does not really act that way in non-filmed safaris or with unwilling clients.

clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
      #60836 - 05/08/06 10:23 AM

In reply to:

"There is no bad publicity - it all sells videos."

Yep, taking his clients on safari is only an avenue for his true interest in selling videos.

He says the same thing in that "book" he wrote.

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Mark Sullivan [Re: clark7781]
      #60949 - 08/08/06 01:15 PM

Thys sidelocks have intercepting sears so that they cannot double without the shooter making significant enough contact with the second trigger to disable the intercepting sear. The problem lies with the shooter, and his grip. In his videoes MS shows a relaxed grip on his rifles. I bet its the significant recoil from the 600 and the lax grip that are the issues.

JPK

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Mark Sullivan [Re: JPK]
      #61081 - 12/08/06 02:03 PM

JPK,
I guess you could be right, but I think the guy has been shooting big doubles for long enough to be able to evaluate whether the fault lies with the gun or the shooter.
Regarding the intercepting sears, these don't really prevent a double rifle from doubling.
They can prevent a double rifle from double discharge by catching the second barrels tumbler before it can reach the striker, but in that situation the guns action has still 'doubled' in that the second barrels sear has been accidentally jarred free from the firing of the first barrel.

There is a scene in one of his films where it appears that this may have happened where, after the first shot, the left barrel won't fire and when the gun is broken a fully loaded round is ejected(from the left barrel).

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: Mark Sullivan [Re: 4seventy]
      #61114 - 13/08/06 06:10 PM

Does anyone know if the rumor that he downloads his big boomers? I have heard people say he downloads his 600 to 1500-1600fps but don't know whether they are full of it or not (I'm guessing it is the former).

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

Boomer
.300 member

Re: Mark Sullivan [Re: bulldog563]
      #61124 - 14/08/06 01:33 AM

If my experience is any indication MS does not down load his ammo. The box of 570 gr. X's I used in his .500 were loaded with 87.0 grs. of IMR 3031 - with a claimed velocity of 2150 fps, although I am unsure if the velocity was measured or calculated. However, when compared to the loading data I have it must be very close to that figure. The X I recovered from my buff was fully expanded, and made a pronounced lump on the far side of the buff on a quartering towards shot. As close as I can figure, that bullet penetrated about 4' of buffalo. Down loaded? I don't think so.

--------------------

DaktariT
.224 member

Reged: 09/08/06
      #61172 - 15/08/06 05:21 AM

I've watched his videos and enojoyed them, though I do get tired of his "commentary" especially his over used line about choosing how to die. That actually became a running gag on my hunt in the Selous last month.

What's the difference between Chuck Norris and Mark Sullivan? Chuck Norris doesn't let you choose how your going to die!

That line was good for many a laugh around the fire pit - of course a bottle of Bushmills helps to see the humor.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9155

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com