Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Fondest Memory Of Africa

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Fondest Memory Of Africa
      #18205 - 20/08/04 01:49 AM

For those of you that have had the pleasure of hunting in Africa, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing with us what your fondest memories are.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Phil_in_the_UK
.275 member

Reged: 30/04/03
Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Fondest Memory Of Africa [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #18221 - 20/08/04 05:04 AM

Not whilst hunting, it was on the final evening before flying home. The PH drove out across the scrub and straight up the side of a mountain to a plateau overlooking the table flat plain scattered with game drifting through the camel thorn. We opened a bottle of Champagne and talked of the days we had hunted and our plans and dreams for the future.
It was Namibia in late March and the end of the wet season. A warm breeze and clear blue sky changing to violet, then black in minutes, full of stars you wouldn’t believe. The storm broke over us lighting up eyes in the dark everywhere and as the rain hit, millions of frogs started to sing, the unfamiliar fresh smells of brand new flowers and herbs closed in. I can still smell them. A magical final evening shared with good honest folk.

If you ever read this, thank you.

Regards

Phil H

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Fondest Memory Of Africa [Re: Phil_in_the_UK]
      #18226 - 20/08/04 08:23 AM

Wow! That must have been wonderful. It sounds like one of those too few magical moments in life. Wish I could have been there to experience it with you. Thanks for sharing.

Ngagi
.224 member

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: So. California USA
      #18820 - 03/09/04 09:09 AM

Having just returned, I have a very fresh memory, that I'm sure will be hard to top.

The heat, the amount of walking, and the tstese flies and mopane flies had been much more than I expected, and I was wondering if I'd made a mistake about this buffalo hunting business.

A short time later, we found the herd we had been stalking, and I forgot about any discomfort other than the sound of my heart beating in my ears.

After several blown stalks and staring matches with buffalo, we found my bull and I dropped him with a single shot from my .458

After much back slapping, picture taking and such, we bagan the process of retrieving the vehicle, cutting up the buff, and loading him in the truck. By now, it was probably 105-110F, I was soaked in sweat and streaked in blood, and about as tired as i can remember (we started every day at 3:00am to sit on a blind).

As we got ready to pull out and head back to camp, and the skinning shed, my PH, Mike Payne asked if I wanted a drink from the cooler.

I replied, "You wouldn't have an ice cold beer in that box would you?"

At that, he smiled and pulled out two frosty cold Bollinger beers, which tasted so good, the hair on my neck stood up. I can tell you, that toastinmg to my first buffalo, and EARNING that cold beer was just unforgettable!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Fondest Memory Of Africa [Re: Ngagi]
      #18823 - 03/09/04 09:46 AM

Mark

I wish you many more "fondest" memories of that sort.

Post a story of your hunt for us to enjoy. Any photos? (post on a separate thread maybe.) I'm interested in the one shot kill on buffalo. Where did you hit him?

"Bollinger" beers? Never heard of that brand. A different form of bubbly.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Fondest Memory Of Africa [Re: Ngagi]
      #18824 - 03/09/04 09:49 AM

Congratulations! The best thing is that 30 years from now those memories will still be imbedded in your brain so deeply that you'll just close your eyes and see it like it was today. You'll even taste the beer.

Rick_R
.300 member

Reged: 03/07/03
Loc: WV, USA
      #18838 - 03/09/04 11:44 AM

It's been three months since I returned from my one and only safari and I'm still mentally sorting out things that happened.

I think my fondest memory was being awakened the first morning (after that hellish trip on the AirBus) by the little black and white monkeys romping on the thatched roof of the hut I was in. When I looked out the window there was a monkey on the tree limb two feet from my face! He ran off, then another one hung upside down from the roof and cussed me in monkey!

I thought "Hot Damn! I am in Africa!".

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Fondest Memory Of Africa [Re: Rick_R]
      #18849 - 03/09/04 01:48 PM

That was a real eye opener!

AussieMike
.300 member

Reged: 01/09/04
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW, Aust...
      #18857 - 03/09/04 07:01 PM

All my memories of African hunting are special. I'm 47 and have had two hunts in Africa - a total of less than 4 weeks. Two years ago I had a "monumental" motor bike accident - months in hospital then a wheel chair and still just able to hobble about on crutches.

Since the accident I've spent more time thinking about those four weeks in Africa than the the other 45 years of my life. If you are thinking about a hunt in Africa and can afford it, even if it means forgoing the plasma TV or new car, do it now while you are still able.

mike

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
Re: Fondest Memory Of Africa [Re: AussieMike]
      #18860 - 03/09/04 07:25 PM

Oooppps, I'm sorry about this Mike , I wanna wish you the better luck. I know what you meant in your post 'cos I spent 1 year in a Hospital (15 year ago) with a real bad leg due another motorbike crash.

Now I hunt everywhere and everytime, like every hunt was the last one. I can't walk as fast as I used to do, but I can hunt everything in any country (I'll tell you again after a polar bear hunt in 2006

You're right, nobody should miss and african hunt .

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
      #19493 - 28/09/04 06:11 PM

Well one of my most recent nice memories is last time when CChunter was here we were filming giraffe and there was an very old almost tottaly black Giraffe. I got a message from my wife on my cellular phone to phone her back urgently.

Then I got the big news that I'm becoming a father with the giraffe bull in the background. That girrafe will never be lost in my mind.

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Fondest Memory Of Africa [Re: SafariHunt]
      #19530 - 29/09/04 09:49 AM

My first sunrise just south of Arusha...!

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

KWTX
.224 member

Reged: 23/03/04
Loc: Texas
      #19637 - 07/10/04 02:24 PM

Tracking a wounded zebra we came upon a very large bull elephant perhaps 80 yds off. As we froze, he walked towards us with his trunk up, sniffing, then placed his forehead against a large tree, which eliminated most of his body from our place of view. He then extended his ears out on either side of the tree, listening for us. After awhile, satisified, he lumbered off. We went to retrieve our Maasai. That was a highlight!

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #19639 - 07/10/04 08:43 PM

For me going to Africa on a hunt was a lifelong dream and before doing so i had prepared a list of animals i wanted to bag.On top of the list was a gemsbok and i was desperate to get a good sized one.However after 8 days of hunting i did not get one and the next day we were to leave.It was around 3 p.m on the last day and we were going back to camp to wind up when suddenly we spotted a beautiful gemsbok.The PH got real excited as he knew i was a bit depressed at not getting one and so we started the chase.The animal got off the track and disappeared in the thick jungle and we just could not spot it.We got off the jeep and started searching,it was getting dark and once again i thought that the animal had eluded me but suddenly i got a glimpse of it and fired.The bullet hit it in the rear and it fell giving me a chance to let off another one which dropped it.It was now nearly dark but i was so elated and happy that i could have stayed there the whole night just admiring the animal.
Cold Castle beer,lovely ostrich steaks and a bottle of red wine brought an end to the safari which i will never forget.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Fondest Memory Of Africa [Re: iqbal]
      #19644 - 08/10/04 08:15 AM

On my first African hunt, my best friend and I were in Namibia hunting 2 on 1. We both had our hearts set on a big Kudu, but as the 9th day of a 10 day hunt was ending, the Kudu had eluded us, and we were on our way back to camp.My P.H. suddenly slammed on the brakes and excitedly told me to grab my rifle. We took off at a dead run through the thorn bush, and after about 200 yards my P.H. pointed and said "shoot that bull- NOW! . My reply was "what bull-where?" Steve finally got me on the bull standing, and facing me straight on. I shot, and the bull swapped ends and took off. So did we. After another 200 yards or so, we came upon the bull laying under an Acacia Tree, still holding its head up. I quickly shot it in the neck to finish it. The bull measured 58 inches. The next day we went back to the same area, and my friend shot a 55 inch bull not more than 1/4 mile from where I shot mine the previous evening. What a great finish to an outstanding hunt!

KWTX
.224 member

Reged: 23/03/04
Loc: Texas
      #19708 - 12/10/04 12:25 PM

Mike, I like your definition of integrity.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Fondest Memory Of Africa [Re: KWTX]
      #19711 - 12/10/04 03:21 PM

Thanks. That comes from my upbringing: a father who'd wack the snot out of you if you didn't, and nuns for teachers who'd do the same thing. They all combined to instill in me a true sense of right and wrong (some might call it a conscience).

Dark_Helmet
.333 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
      #19820 - 19/10/04 12:55 PM

I'm really looking forward to making some memories with my dad in the next few years....

so far we've just had time to kill bambi's uncles...

I do envy you all those memories...

--------------------

-me

(long live the Mauser 98!)

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Fondest Memory Of Africa [Re: Dark_Helmet]
      #19822 - 19/10/04 02:10 PM

Here's my fondest memory.

Ouma's Zebra

This is my 76 year old Mother in law. Two years ago she along with my wife, son, daughter in law and I went to RSA. My son and I went hunting and the women went touring.

My Mother in law asked me to shot a Zebra for her for a rug. She had never been hunting in her life and had only ever fired a .22 a few times as girl so she couldn't do it. She was paying so I agreed

The outfitter told her that he taught children to shot and hunt and he could do the same with her. She was reluctant at first but then decided to try. The Outfitter took her out with his .22-250 culling rifle and had her shooting and hitting the target in a few minutes.

The next morning we all loaded up and headed out. The temperature had dropped into the 40's-that's 40 F not 40 C.

The outfitter had taken me aside and told me to back her up. When he had her aim in, he want me to aim in. When she fired I was to fire. The outfitter told my Mother in law he was only going to give her shots that she could shoot from a rest and he wanted her to shoot the zebra right at the base of the ear. It only took about a half an hour to find zebra. After 4 hours of chasing zebra up and down a mountain we called it quits for lunch. Yes we were riding around in a baake. But that was a concession to my mother in laws age.

I was glad we took the break as I was chiiled to the bone. I was worried about my mother in law in the cold , but she was still ready to go. I saw a toughness in the women that I never knew she had.

After lunch we drove to another area of high brush to look for Zebra. We hadn't gone 100 yards when we saw two zebra stick their heads up over the bush about 80 yards away and look at us. The Outfitter had Mom in Law aim in. I aimed in to back her up. I waited and wait and she didn't shoot. Finally the Zebra moved off. We drove a few yards forward and the zebra popped their heads up again. I aimed in. I heard the Outfitter start to say "aim in" when Mom in laws rifle fired and the Zebra disappeared from my scope.

We walked over to the Zebra and checked it. It was dead! My mother in law was just excited as a kid with their first deer. She had smile on her face. Then she looked at me and said, " Douglas, you really shot that didn't you."

"No Ma'am, I didn't you did!" I opened the bolt on my rifle and extracted the live unfired round and showed it to her. I don't know how a smile could get any bigger but it did.

Oh, by the way the bullet struck right at the base of the ear, where she was told to aim.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

DBBill
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/03
Loc: Southern California, USA
      #19828 - 19/10/04 05:48 PM

After awhile the good and sometimes the great shots you made fade a bit but the others stick in your mind. My 2nd trip to Zim was for leopard, buff, sable and other plainsgame...but leopard was the 1st priority. My 1st trip was 16 days on leopard hunting frustration and I really wanted a leopard. The 2nd trip was fantastic with one-shot kills on almost eveything but the leopards weren't co-operating until one morning all the baits save one had been hit. The 3rd afternoon in the blind was the charm but for some reason the shot went a little high and we had a wounded leopard on our hands and it was getting dark.

After a quick recce the PH and tracker decided it had been hit pretty hard and would "probably" be dead by morning but they were concerned hyaenas might get to it and ruin the hide. I was afraid the PH was going to tell me wait while he and the tracker followed up my leopard but when he looked at me and said "Are you ready?" I'll never forget the feeling his confidence in me gave me.

We followed the blood trail and I had to make a quick shot at fairly close range to bring my "leopard quest" to a successful conclusion. Every time I look at the mount I can't help but think of not only making a shot when I had to but in his vote of confidence when he ask "Are you ready?"

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Fondest Memory Of Africa [Re: DBBill]
      #19842 - 20/10/04 03:25 AM

So many memories over they years, good times with good people round the campfire and in the bush, good hunting and good trophies.....to say nothing of good malt whisky and sometimes the odd cockup........but probably the strongest memory is of a hunt many years ago with the guy who got me into African hunting. (for those of you who read Kipling, he really was the 1000th man). We had unexpectedly walked onto a beautiful bend on the Limpopo River, and the first thing he said to me there, was "Steve, you can bury me here"..........a few short years later I did, and I also fixed a small plaque to a nearby leadwood tree at the same time.

.........I still go back to hunt in the area from time to time and always find a few private moments to go and sit with him and think of times past.

RIP Viv, I owe you so much, and didn't have time to thank you.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Fondest Memory Of Africa [Re: DoubleD]
      #19872 - 20/10/04 01:43 PM

DoubleD-great story! The smile in the photo says it all.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Fondest Memory Of Africa [Re: DBBill]
      #19873 - 20/10/04 01:45 PM

I haven't hunted Leopard yet, but when I do, I hope my P.H. has as much confidence in me as yours did in you. That certainly speaks highly of you.

ibexebi
.224 member

Reged: 27/10/04
      #20050 - 27/10/04 01:58 AM

The smell of a mopane fire. Every now & then I think I get a whiff & am transported in my mind right back there.
or

The hot dry earthy smell of a herd of cape buffalo, when you are sitting on your butt close enough to hear their stomachs gurgling & working and smoking a cigarette with them on 3 sides of you knowing it won't matter about the smoke cause if the breeze changes their gone in a flash & a cloud of dust anyway. Spike just grins & said "Now this is living , eh?"

Mike

NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
      #20156 - 29/10/04 11:34 AM

I have a few but the first one would have to be in Free State SA. I noticed on Safari it is not very often you are alone. I am one of those people who don't mind being alone and actually kinda like it, Most of the time on safari you are with many people and have a lot of things to do in the short amount of time you are there as a client hunter.

I was in RSA wing shooting, we had come around a bend and flushed a lot of ducks off a pond. The PH said sit here we will move the truck off on the far hill and they will come back. I was sitting there the first time since being in Africa I had nothing to do and was completely alone. Sitting there in the tall grass on the edge of the pond laying back waiting for the ducks to come in it hit me "I AM IN AFRICA". I had been there for three days but it hit me then and I don't figure I will ever forget it. The first time only comes once.

Another fond memory. Coming back from a hut one day in the Selous, we had pretty good luck that day and with a impala in the truck along with a heartbeast that was a very long shot I was feeling pretty good. I heard the flat or puncture as they call it in Africa well before the driver knew. You could hear the roar of the tire and see the driver fighting the wheel much more then he expected. Sure enough we stoped with a flat. The PH got out with a kinda odd look, you can many times read a situation without words being spoken if you pay attention and feel the mood I very rarely find myself not being abel to read between the lines, Look at people pay attention its pretty easy no matter the language or area people are people all around the world. The PH said this is not the best place for a puncture right in the middle of Lion city with a truck full of meat and blood in the pitch black of night. I can assure you by the way the hunting party changed that tier they were thinking the same thing.

That in this area far from any sort of man and wild as it was long ago a flat, something that was common place and mundane at best in my world was a matter of life and death concern here drove home the point. I was in Africa and I smiled at the though that something so common was so different here it meant so much more. To most it would be a flat nothing to think about and soon forgotten I cant say why but it meant something to me.

I had many times that were exciting tracking buff through elephants what a picture perfect African moment, but these times listed above for what ever reason anchored me in the fact I was here and I had dreamed of this for some time. Funny how moments others don't know have any affect stand out in your life. I have had a life full of moments like that and I consider myself lucky for them.

James F. Nixon III

Edited by NONE (29/10/04 11:36 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 3962

You rated this topic a 5.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com