Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: photo update of ozhunters 2010 Safari

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
photo update of ozhunters 2010 Safari
      #159450 - 25/04/10 05:52 AM

More to come.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: photo update of ozhunters 2010 Safari [Re: ozhunter]
      #159452 - 25/04/10 07:54 AM

Nice ones, i envy you to be able to hunt these.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: photo update of ozhunters 2010 Safari [Re: 450_366]
      #159455 - 25/04/10 08:57 AM

Well done Oz.How did Andrew get on?.
Look forward to hearing the reports.Enjoy the last few "months" you have over there (mongrel).

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: photo update of ozhunters 2010 Safari [Re: FATBOY404]
      #159456 - 25/04/10 09:32 AM

Well done Ozhunter, you are one very lucky "B" keep up the good work and look forward to more of the same.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

crkennedy1
.375 member

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: Utah
Re: photo update of ozhunters 2010 Safari [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #159461 - 25/04/10 01:41 PM

Oz - I love all the photos that you post - please keep it up!

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #159462 - 25/04/10 01:43 PM

You done good! Congratulations, and thanks for sharing your photos with us.

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: photo update of ozhunters 2010 Safari [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #159471 - 25/04/10 04:27 PM

Good stuff Adam. Look forward to a full report when you return. If I could only walk in your footsteps. Maybe one day.

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: photo update of ozhunters 2010 Safari [Re: tophet1]
      #159480 - 26/04/10 12:19 AM

Well done, Adam,
nice tusks but what will you do with them considering Australia's outlook on elephant products?

- Paul

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: photo update of ozhunters 2010 Safari [Re: Paul]
      #159521 - 26/04/10 11:14 AM

Congratulations!

ozhunter
.400 member

#159592 - 27/04/10 06:57 PM

Paul, these Ele belong to the community so photos are my Trophys.
We killed three bulls and three cows with tusks around 10lbs only with the biggest going 25lbs.
At the moment I'm preparing for the long drive up to Pemba.
Cheers Guys

Huntersheart
.224 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Qld,Australia
      #159641 - 28/04/10 06:20 PM

Adam,
Well done on the hunt-hope to hear the detail soon -was that the 9.3

regards Barry

Paul
.400 member

Re: photo update of ozhunters 2010 Safari [Re: Huntersheart]
      #159652 - 28/04/10 10:23 PM

Thanks Adam,
I hope the community makes good use of them. I think I know the road you'll take to Pemba. Take extra care not to hit any of the multitude walking or spruiking on the side of it - my PH said that anyone who does goes immediately to jail without passing Go.

Cheers
- Paul

ozhunter
.400 member

#159759 - 30/04/10 06:24 PM

I arrived hear at Pemba yesterday afternoon after an marathon three days of madness which is traveling in Moz..
First was the fun at the Border with Moz Custom Clearance, then the pot holes. then Moz Police stops with bribes and fines and a blow out at 100kmph. All the way watching the hordes of people parting off the road in front of the Cruser like the sea for Moses.
I saw people using the road for washing their cloths, Bathing, staggering home drunk and so much more.
In Moz they live along the road so you have always people beside you when driving. On receiving a speeding fine the told me that I must travel 50kmsph when passing homes. If so,this trip would take weeks as you would rarely be able to travel at a decent speed.
Anyway at the moment Im sitting at the Lodge at Pemba enjoying watching a Tropical storm out to sea.

ozhunter
.400 member

#159760 - 30/04/10 06:41 PM

PART ONE
This Safari started out as a Three Hunter non Trophy Ele hunt with Two Elephant each on Quota.
"Magnum" Andrew, one of the Aus hunters was able to arrive early so we made plans for him to stay at a great lodge at Vic Falls for a few days then a few days at a lodge at Wankie National Park prior to Tim and my arrival in Bulawayo.
On the 8th of April Tim "the Rough" and I met with Andrew and PH's Stu Taylor, "Chap" Ousthausen and Pirre Hundermark at the Bulawayo Club to prepare for the next two weeks.
The Rifles Andrew, Tim and I would be using on this Elephant/ Plains game hunt were Andrews Chapuis 470 and Kimber 375H&H. Tim's Merkel 470 and Chapuis 9.3x62. My Westley Richards .425Mag and Husqvarna 9.3x62.
The 470s and 425 were loaded with Woodleigh bullets and the 9.3s and 375 with Woodleigh's and Swift A Frames. These bullets worked great as usual.
Our Flights over were mostly uneventful other than some unavoidable excess baggage and my damaged rifle case, compliments of Sydney Airport. . Thankfully the rifles seem to be undamaged. This was similar damage to what happened to a mate last season as per article in SSAA Mag.
The next morning we left Bulawayo for the long drive to the Communal lands in the north of the country, adjacent to the huge lake Kariba. I have hunted this area on two other occasions and found the roads within the area in bad disrepair due to the down spiral of Zimbabwe. Who knows it might not be long before foot safaris are back due to necessity.
Thankfully the conditions were dry for the drive in and we felt certain the wet season was over. We were wrong. Over the next few days we had some storms which hampered our traveling which made it necessary to walk in to areas where Crop Raiding was occurring.

Ben
.400 member

#159761 - 30/04/10 06:43 PM

Glad you got through all that! Enjoy the storm!

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: photo update of ozhunters 2010 Safari [Re: Ben]
      #159772 - 30/04/10 09:16 PM

Well batted, great stuff, best, Mike

Paul
.400 member

Re: photo update of ozhunters 2010 Safari [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #159782 - 01/05/10 01:36 AM

I know what you mean about the police soliciting bribes, Adam. We were stopped about five times on the road from Maputo to Pemba. All of these the PH managed by keeping control of documents, except a dodgy speeding fine. Stupidly, these are to be paid on the spot to the copper but the trick is to ask for a receipt, stopping him from pocketing the proceeds so easily

ozhunter
.400 member

#159798 - 01/05/10 08:03 PM

Quote:

PART ONE
This Safari started out as a Three Hunter non Trophy Ele hunt with Two Elephant each on Quota.
"Magnum" Andrew, one of the Aus hunters was able to arrive early so we made plans for him to stay at a great lodge at Vic Falls for a few days then a few days at a lodge at Wankie National Park prior to Tim and my arrival in Bulawayo.
On the 8th of April Tim "the Rough" and I met with Andrew and PH's stu Taylor, "Chap" Ousthausen and Pirre Hundermark at the Bulawayo Club to prepare for the next two weeks.
The Rifles Andrew, Tim and I would be using on this Elephant/ Plains game hunt were Andrews Chapuis 470 and Kimber 375H&H. Tim's Merkel 470 and Chapuis 9.3x62. My Westley Richards .425Mag and Husqvarna 9.3x62.
The 470s and 425 were loaded with Woodleigh bullets and the 9.3s and 375 with Woodleigh's and Swift A Frames. These bullets worked great as usual.
Our Flights over were mostly uneventful other than some unavoidable excess baggage and my damaged rifle case, compliments of Sydney Airport. . Thankfully the rifles seem to be undamaged. This was similar damage to what happened to a mate last season as per article in SSAA Mag.
The next morning we left Bulawayo for the long drive to the Communal lands in the north of the country, adjacent to the huge lake Kariba. I have hunted this area on two other occasions and found the roads within the area in bad disrepair due to the down spiral of Zimbabwe. Who knows it might not be long before foot safaris are back due to necessity.
Thankfully the conditions were dry for the drive in and we felt certain the wet season was over. We were wrong. Over the next few days we had some storms which hampered our traveling which made it necessary to walk in to areas where Crop Raiding was occurring.

When and where we were able to travel by Cruser we were forced to dig out on a few occasions.
It was day three or four that we tracked a herd of Crop Raiders from an area that had been decimated by the animals over the past few weeks. the majority of the group crossed a deep river and with no Dugouts close by we elected to follow the remainder of the herd that were traveling south west adjacent to the river.We were fortunate to find them slowly moving and feeding in open Mopani woodland but the wind was not great so it was decided to move in swiftly and slightly on an angle with the wind.
At around 25m a young Bull presented a side on position and as I felt confident with it I fired for a side brain shot which worked well with the rear of the beast dropping first. I then followed up with a heart shot followed by another Brain shot for insurance. The Westley Richards did its job.

During the skinning and distribution of the meat ##(The meat from these problem animals belongs to the local community and as with tradition the trunk go's to the Chief. Ivory and skin is sold by the Council)## we snaked on salted Elephant temple meat kebabs which weren't all that bad.
Walking back to the Toyota after the villagers were given the meat was a sight. We had a line if porters carrying Ivory , skin and meat crossing an open valley in single file the rain. We also got word that later that day Andrew and Stu's party scored a kill also.
A couple days later Tim's PH Chap came down with a bout of Malaria so for the next few days Tim hunted with us taking both his Ele. The first one after a 20plus km track then the next a big bull in the Jesse bush. both with his Merkel 470 with one side brain shot and the other a frontal.
It is my belief that a short double rifle in 470 or 500NE is the ultimate Elephant Rifle, in particularly when hunting the Jesse thickets that these huge dangerous animals use to take refuge in during the day or particularly when being pushed.

My second Ele was taken in the Jesse but thankfully only on the edge of the notorious "Tiger Bay Jesse".
This one I was forced to crouch and fire between the bush for a heart shot followed by a high shoulder shot which dropped it as it took off after the first shot.
By around day seven all our Ele quota was taken and as the roads had dried sufficiently we moved to the Western camp as there would be more chance for plains game there.
The guys where successful on Zebra, WartHog, Impala, Baboon and Waterbuck. With the early season thick bush I had little chance at a Bushbuck let alone a monster that I am after.
During our stay there I felt so sorry for the alcohol abuse the Zimbabwean PHs and Apprentices (Appys)had to endure due to the harassment from one of our Aussie team .
I do believe these episodes will be remembered for some time.
More to come.

FATBOY404
.400 member

#159814 - 02/05/10 05:17 AM

Well done Adam.
Thanks for sharing your story.Good hunt.

Cheers Neale.

--------------------

Ben
.400 member

#159905 - 03/05/10 07:56 PM

Fantastic stuff! Congratulations!

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: photo update of ozhunters 2010 Safari [Re: Ben]
      #159910 - 03/05/10 11:26 PM

Eh Adam,

I'd imagine their prejudices don't travel too well in polite company.

Rick

ozhunter
.400 member

Re: photo update of ozhunters 2010 Safari [Re: kamilaroi]
      #160114 - 08/05/10 02:21 AM

Quote:

Eh Adam,

I'd imagine their prejudices don't travel too well in polite company.

Rick

Thankfully, Most Zimbabwean hunters aren't that polite.
Just returned to main camp here at Moz after visiting the fly camp sight.
We camped out and heard lion early in the morning then on the drive back to Kambako main camp we passed two lion hunting. Its a mission to see game as the grass is BIG.

NOTE; Its hard to get back to sleep after being awoke by lion whilst Rifles are sitting back at Zimbabwe awaiting necessary Mozambican permits. I wonder if a Mozzie net will dieter them?

ozhunter
.400 member

#165422 - 02/08/10 06:20 AM

Just returned to town after another week in the bush, plus a trip to Malawi.
Whilst one of the PHs with a client and his wife where hunting Zebra, they found them selves being charged by a Bull elephant. The PH got the client to put a warning shot over the bulls head which only sped it up! The PH then put a 458 FMJ into the Bulls head which stumbled it long enough to follow up with a brain shot. At the shot the client also fired and thought the PH was crushed as the bull fell where the PH was last seen!
Later that day over some Vodka the PH told me how lucky he was to be alive.
The bulls Tusks weighed in at 60 and 78 pounds! What a wast as they had to be turned in to the reserve officials..
I'm now keen to perches another 470!
A few days later whilst I was glassing for game with the clients wife, she pointed out a Lion moving through the bush at close quarters!
The next client this PH had was a German lady who was after a Leopard and Bushbuck. Whilst stalking along a thickly bushed Riverside. He saw what he thought was a Bushbuck at twenty meters under some Jesse bush, but on inspection with his Zeiss 10x40s found it to be two Lion! They slowly backed out of there. To make it worse, the client is terrified of Lion.
I will certainly stick by the rule that when hunting in big game areas, one should carry a rifle suitable for all game. IMO, 9.3x62 minimum!

FATBOY404
.400 member

#165423 - 02/08/10 07:19 AM

Heh OZ.

You always make my life seem so dull.

I must thank you for that.I cant believe you are still there.We went at the same time and my trip is a memory now but you are still there !!.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers Neale.

--------------------

MarkR
.333 member

Reged: 29/07/07
Loc: NW Vic. Australia
      #165502 - 02/08/10 12:37 PM

Some interesting stuff there alright.....

Thanks Oz and stay safe.

Cheers,
Mark.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11067

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com