Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Plants that itch and such

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Minkman
.224 member

Reged: 29/04/04
Loc: NJ USA
Plants that itch and such
      #14716 - 13/05/04 11:10 PM

Are there any plants in Africa that are like poison oak or ivy? When traveling there is it advisable to take the steroid dose pack for skin imflamation and itch? Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Plants that itch and such [Re: Minkman]
      #14728 - 14/05/04 03:20 AM

None that I have seen or run into. Lotta thorny ones though, just about everything has them! The aloes are good for sun burns.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
      #14729 - 14/05/04 03:57 AM

There's lots of trees and plants that can cause you problems of one kind or another and a good 1st aid kit is always money well spent.

The euphorbias for example have a very nasty sap that can cause blindness etc and the tamboti tree will give you a very severe dose of the shits if you use it's wood to cook on.

Then as Ann says there's the miriad of thorn trees to contend with......welcome to Africa, no-one ever told you it was easy!

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Minkman
.224 member

Reged: 29/04/04
Loc: NJ USA
Re: Plants that itch and such [Re: shakari]
      #14739 - 14/05/04 05:10 AM

What about the buffalo bean? What is the treatment?

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
      #14740 - 14/05/04 05:10 AM

Which thorn was it that nearly killed John Hunter? I can't remember exactly, but he felt it was the only time that the flora or fauna of the African Continent nearly killed him.

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Plants that itch and such [Re: DPhillips]
      #14747 - 14/05/04 06:52 AM

Do you mean the buffalo thorn tree otherwise known as ziziphus mucronata?. This tree is not poisonous, but it does have lots of medicinal properties for such things as stomach problems, carbuncles & chest complaints....... it's also used by the indiginous populations as a spirit/burial tree.

There are also a few which can cause severe itching and the usual treatment is to look for the nearest shower of piece of flatdog & bilharzia free water.

I'm afraid I can't remember a story about Hunter having problems with a thorn tree and can't think of one that would cause big problems. They're generally a bit of a nuisance and some like the wait-a-bit can actually hurt but nothing more. Anyway, Africa wouldn't be Africa without a few thorn trees around.

As a matter of interest, did you know that the Acacia Tortillis can sense when it's being browsed upon and will raise the level of tannin in it's own leaves in an attempt to make the leaves more bitter and force the animals to move elsewhere. At the same time they also release pheremones to blow downwind to 'warn' the other Acacia Tortillis' what is going on and then they do the same with their own tannin levels......which is why species such as kudu & nyala etc will always browse upwind and not downwind.

.....and another useless piece of information is don't walk under a sausage tree as if the sausages fall on you they just might cause you serious damage.....

......and if you're not too bored yet. Did you know that the sap from the euphorbias and/or the tamboti can also be used to temporarily stun fish, and cure toothache.

And last but not least, (for now) the sickle bush has incredibly hard thorn like stcky outy bits that will go right through a tyre or even worse right through a shoe sole and into the foot......and it bloody hurts!

Think yourself lucky that you're only reading this on the forum and not hunting with me.....cos I can waffle on like this for hours

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
      #14748 - 14/05/04 06:57 AM

It's been a while, but it was during the big rhino cull operation in Kenya. He was in terrible thick thorn bushes/trees, was overcome with flu like symptoms. Could not eat, could not even enjoy his pipe later that evening. Barely made it back to road system and was rushed to the hospital in Nairobi, I believe. Dr's said if he had just been hours later, he would have died. As it was he was in the hospital for several weeks.

I'll try to look it up tonight. My memory isn't as good as it used to be...

By the way, I do find your plant lore fascinating. Please continue...

Edited by DPhillips (14/05/04 07:02 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #14751 - 14/05/04 08:02 AM

I've seen a type of nettle in Africa, AND in Australia AND in Italy, and in Czech ... Seen the bloody stuff everywhere. Maybe man has spread it just like Red-backs (black widows) and rats.

Here we just call it a "stinging nettle", not sure of its correct name. It is a weed and grows very well in Summer after some rain and covers the ground. Animals will eat it if hungry enough when it is very young and help propigate it this way. When it is taller they leave it alone, but I don't know about the tough mouthed African game.

It stings if touched onto bare skin and will raise lots of white bumps which itch and burn. The slightest touch is enough and the effect is delayed by a few seconds. The burns I received in Italy from it and in Zimbabwe felt far worse than here at home.

It certainly causes discomfort but I wouldn't think it dangerous. Unless one rolled around in it nude or went for a frollick in the "grass".

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1886

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com