Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Elephant Shot Dead 'For Braai' in Front of Tourists

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Elephant Shot Dead 'For Braai' in Front of Tourists
      #112395 - 24/08/08 04:25 PM

Namibia: Elephant Shot Dead 'For Braai' in Front of Tourists

The Namibian (Windhoek)
21 August 2008

Adam Hartman

AN elephant was shot dead - allegedly for a local chief's "braaivleis party" - in front of several tourists in the Bwabwata Park in the Caprivi Region last week, causing many of the shocked visitors to cut short their tours.

Andrew Momberg, a private tour guide who often takes clients to northern Namibia, told The Namibian that he had ever seen anything like it before.

He said he took a British tour group to a place called the "Horseshoe Bend" on the Cuando River on August 8.

It is a popular watering hole where tourists can watch elephants playing in the water.

"There must have been about 50 elephants.

"It's always a highlight for the tourists to see them play gracefully in the water," he said.

The next moment, two shots rang out and a fatally wounded elephant cow slumped to the ground in front of all the tourists.

"Everyone was shocked and perplexed at what they had just seen in front of their very eyes; and then people began shouting out of dismay," according to Momberg.

He said officers of the Ministry of Environment and Tourism arrived shortly afterwards, explaining to the tourists that the elephant was a "problem animal" pestering local communities.

He said all the animals fled from the waterhole - and so did all the tourists, "who just wanted to go home".

The next morning, Momberg and his clients decided to go back into the park for a game drive.

The elephant that had been shot the previous day was "lying on its buckled legs, tusks in the ground, and blood oozing from its trunk and mouth".

"There were about ten people with two Ministry vehicles around the dead animal, busy chopping and cutting it up.

Our path was going right past the carcass, but the men asked us to make a small detour, which we could not because of very thick sand, so we were forced to drive through and over the blood and guts strewn over the path.

This is not a nice experience for any tourist," Momberg said.

Coming back later the vehicle once again had to drive through it, he told The Namibian.

"These [foreigners] are sensitive to this sort of stuff," he said.

"I felt sorry for them."

Later that afternoon it came to light, according to Momberg, that a hippo also had been shot nearby the previous day, and for the same reason - a "braaivleis party" allegedly held by one of the local chiefs on August 10.

The Namibian contacted a source at one of the lodges in the area and he confirmed the incident, saying that Chief Josef Mayuni of the Mafwe tribe was celebrating his inauguration and the animals were shot as part of the annual hunting quota.

It is not known if the incident is linked to the discovery of hippo meat and an elephant foot in a Police bus at a checkpoint near Rundu on Sunday.

The Namibian was referred to the Deputy Director of Wildlife Management at the Ministry, Colgar Shikopo, for comment but he was in a meeting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Elephant Shot Dead 'For Braai' in Front of Tourists [Re: NitroX]
      #112427 - 24/08/08 11:59 PM

A hippo and an elephant on back-to-back days.

Some appetite!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

saladin
.224 member

Reged: 11/10/07
Loc: australia
Re: Elephant Shot Dead 'For Braai' in Front of Tourists [Re: 9.3x57]
      #112471 - 25/08/08 10:03 AM

what i don't get is that presumably the tour guide is a namibian local? would this not then be commonplace for him? is his indignation purely because he lost income due to tourists bailing out on the tour?

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Elephant Shot Dead 'For Braai' in Front of Tourists [Re: saladin]
      #112785 - 28/08/08 11:20 AM

Eco Tourists live in an imaginary world. They usually have no concept of the Wilderness other than the Disney Channel.

When we hunted on NamibRam in Namibia we had to make sure that no tourists saw us with rifles or animals. This even though they ate the Eland and Gemsbok for dinner.

The tourists were led to believe we just worked there and it was fun to stop into the Dune Camp and have some old German lady ask you to get here a Beer or some snacks.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Elephant Shot Dead 'For Braai' in Front of Tourists [Re: mickey]
      #112807 - 28/08/08 03:14 PM

Interesting world in which we live, is it not?? Perception and reality seem to be on different paths at the moment..

Keeps things interesting....

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Ndumo
.300 member

Reged: 21/12/03
Loc: Namibia
Re: Elephant Shot Dead 'For Braai' in Front of Tourists [Re: saladin]
      #112816 - 28/08/08 05:40 PM

Quote:

what i don't get is that presumably the tour guide is a namibian local? would this not then be commonplace for him? is his indignation purely because he lost income due to tourists bailing out on the tour?

saladin, you must remember that even we have greenies! tghey would like most of the concessions for their own use only, no hunting at all. The good news is, with the chief now decided, these areas might now again be put out to tenders to us for hunting rights

--------------------
Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris (Pty) Ltd.
karl@huntingsafaris.net
www.huntingsafaris.net
+264 811 285 416

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Elephant Shot Dead 'For Braai' in Front of Tourists [Re: Ndumo]
      #112834 - 28/08/08 09:37 PM

Those tourists should have grabbed some knives and helped bone that ele out. They also should have attended the braai and learned about the traditions of these indigenous people and learned what life is like living with animals that routinely destroy your crops and kill your family. But yet these very people tolerate this danger for non residents to come take pictures of them. Those tourists have no concept of reality.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: Elephant Shot Dead 'For Braai' in Front of Tourists [Re: AspenHill]
      #112847 - 29/08/08 12:15 AM

What can we do about Greenies?
Here they are often stupidly interfering with driven hunts, showing up from nowhere right into our safe shooting angle, despite plenty of advertising in the newspapers, clipped in the town hall and panels set across the trails. They invariably criticize and feel sorry for the poor hapless animals. If boars happen to dig trenches in their lawn or roe eating up the bark of their trees, they’ll act like madmen, asking that we hunters exterminate this crap of frigging varmint ASAP otherwise they’d call the police??????????

In Africa, they can be useful idiots. They wander in the country,though not as deep as hunters do and are demanding about the permanence of habitats and animals. They act as witnesses (like hunters) but can complain home more loudly, or more accurately, are best heard by media. Useful idiots.
These greenies are also the same guys that want You to bring them Zebra rugs from Africa.

useful idiots

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

josef_frey
.224 member

Reged: 03/11/07
Loc: Germany, southern part
      #114606 - 17/09/08 12:08 AM

We arrived in Winhoek on August 20. After a few day on the farm near Etosha the news of that slaughter reached everybody, even if you didn´t bother and would have liked to ignore it.
For our hosts, hunting families, and everybody else in Namibia with a lawful way of life this annoying story was showing the bad side. Everybody agreed that the chief should have his dinner for the village. But it was not accepted that the game was declared as "problem animals" by goverment people with a distinct grin in their face. And it was absolutely not accepted that the game was shot in the national park.

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Elephant Shot Dead 'For Braai' in Front of Tourists [Re: josef_frey]
      #114631 - 17/09/08 11:56 AM

Its amazing to me the people who are so anti-hunting, and the way the rationalize things. The same people who would be repulsed if they ever visted a slaughter house, yet enjoy a steak in a fine restaurant. How can anyone be so out of touch with the roots of human behavior. The escence of mankind, the hunt.

--------------------
One day at a time...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Elephant Shot Dead 'For Braai' in Front of Tourists [Re: josef_frey]
      #114644 - 17/09/08 03:33 PM

Josef

Thanks for the comments. So it was PHs and hunters making those comments? Also probably a true point about taking a "pseudo" PAC elephant in a national park.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

josef_frey
.224 member

Reged: 03/11/07
Loc: Germany, southern part
      #114654 - 17/09/08 06:46 PM

Exactly, to be specific it were J. Beddies and W. Ritzdorf both PHs on BigFive. Most every farmer and hunter were upset because of the obvious violation of laws. It went as far as the responsible minister of the namibian government was needed to calm emotions. But her statement was even worsening feelings since it was obviously artificially constructed in order to protect the poachers.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2842

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com