Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Assault Rifles legal

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
blackbearhunter
.333 member

Reged: 15/06/04
Loc: swamp
Assault Rifles legal
      #19191 - 14/09/04 02:22 AM

The news said that assault weapons were legal again.Whats up with that?Is it a good thing or bad?What is considered a assault weapon besides the ak-47,uzi and what?Also on the news the NRA said it was good but the police chief in atlanta said it was bad,anyone got any comments one way or the other?Will they change it back again?Any predictions?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Assault Rifles legal [Re: blackbearhunter]
      #19192 - 14/09/04 02:30 AM

It simply means that now when buy a new double rifle it can have bayonet lug, flash hider, and folding pistol grip stock.

It's the end of a meaningless law.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #19197 - 14/09/04 03:54 AM

The question is why would anyone i.e.a civilian or a hunter need an assault rifle.For self defense,in my opinion,a handgun or best of all a pump action or sawed off shotgun is unbeatable.For hunting you don't need an assault rifle,so apart from infringing on your right to own any weapon you choose,what good is an assault rifle?I think they should be banned.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Assault Rifles legal [Re: iqbal]
      #19198 - 14/09/04 05:09 AM

I never want to belittle a man's opinion, but let me shed a little light on your question. Many, many americans love military rifles for various reasons: they used them in the service, or just like to collect and shoot. There is also a pride in owning the same firearm as our solders. That is part of our gun owning heritage. They are also very fun to shoot. I own an AR-10 with a pre-ban mag. I love playing sniper when I'm not shooting my double. Banning any gun starts the slipery slope to banning all guns. That much has been proven. In conclusion: have tolerence for another man's weapon of choice for the good of all gun owners.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

**DONOTDELETE**

#19204 - 14/09/04 07:56 AM

Eventually they want to ban everything.

If we divided rifles into the following groups:

Assault rifle
Semi auto sporting rifle
Pump action rifle
Bolt action repeater
Double rifle
Single shot

Then that list would probably be about the order of banning. Banning assault rifles simply moves each category of rifle closing to the banning line.

From your posting:

"For hunting you don't need an assault rifle,so apart from infringing on your right to own any weapon you choose,what good is an assault rifle?I think they should be banned."

If it was all based on "need" then how would you justify hunting as you don't need to go hunting. Also, you don't need a rifle to go hunting.

Mike

BFaucett
.333 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: Assault Rifles legal [Re: Mike375]
      #19205 - 14/09/04 08:37 AM

From Capitol Hill Blue

Opinion
Time to Ban the Ban
By JAY AMBROSE
Sep 13, 2004, 06:31

A federal ban on selling so-called assault rifles was phony from the start, and a failure to extend it is no disaster, despite the endless wailing of gun-control enthusiasts.

The 19 weapons that were banned were not the same sort of assault weapons used by soldiers. They are semiautomatic. You have to pull the trigger each time you fire a shot. The same is true of all kinds of handguns, hunting rifles and shotguns. The chief thing that differentiates the assault rifles from other firearms is the way they look, namely, frightening. But that was enough to leave the public confused about what they were, and members of Congress could therefore appear to be heroes by banning them.

The advocates of a ban like to tell you that crimes committed with assault weapons have declined since the ban went into effect. Maybe so. But any criminal could easily find a substitute, and there is no reason to think gun crimes went down from what they would have been without the ban. Assault weapons are used in a relatively small percentage of crimes to begin with. The preferred weapon of the criminal is a handgun small enough for easy concealment.

While it is difficult to demonstrate that any gun-control measure has ever reduced crime, which has been in decline because of tough sentencing of convicts and other reasons, it may have made sense to extend a ban on magazines that hold more than 10 bullets or shotgun shells. Such an approach - addressing the features of firearms that make them effective weapons for criminals - would at least be more rational than banning a class of weapons based on appearance.

(Jay Ambrose is director of editorial policy for Scripps Howard Newspapers and can be reached at AmbroseJ@shns.com)

© Copyright 2004 Capitol Hill Blue

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_5235.shtml

BFaucett
.333 member

#19207 - 14/09/04 08:59 AM

"For hunting you don't need an assault rifle,so apart from infringing on your right to own any weapon you choose,what good is an assault rifle? I think they should be banned."

iqbal,

I see that you are from / in Pakistan. As such, I'm not surprised about your view about assault weapons. However, as an American, I'd like to pass along a couple of quotes that I think you may find interesting. From my view point, it's not about hunting; it's not about sport shooting; it's about freedom. America was founded upon the principle of a basic distrust of government and governmental power. Our founders wanted to ensure that the people retained the power and ability to overthrow an abusive government if that need should ever arise.

Regards,
-Bob F.

“As civil rulers, not having their duty to the people duly before them, may attempt to tyrannize, and as the military forces which must be occasionally raised to defend our country, might pervert their power to the injury of their fellow-citizens, the people are confirmed by the next article in their right to keep and bear their private arms.”
--- Tench Coxe, "Remarks on the First Part of the Amendments to the Federal Constitution," in the Federal Gazette, June 18, 1789
http://www.guncite.com/gc2ndnew.html

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to them unjust and oppressive.”
--- Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution (Philadelphia 1787).
http://www.guncite.com/gc2ndfqu.html

NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
      #19212 - 14/09/04 12:06 PM

I think most of the posters before me have stated the case very well so no real need to cover that ground. I say good ridden to a unjust and meaningless law and the judicial courts have stated they have no intention of reinstating the law.

Banning of any sort is a slippery slop and our forefathers did not classify firearms neither should we. If anything the firearms the 2nd amendment was meant to protect were predominately and foremost militia type rifles.

I own many rifles that fall under the assault rifle law, I have aquired all these rifles legal, I have never been charged with any crime, I shoot and enjoy shooting them regularly. Tell me why I should not have them or what harm comes from me having them?

James F. Nixon III

SaHunter
.224 member

Reged: 12/09/04
Loc: South Australia, Australia
Re: Assault Rifles legal [Re: NONE]
      #19221 - 14/09/04 09:55 PM

Aussault rifles are fun period and they are a pretty decent self defense weapon imho!

--------------------
Acquiring a milsurp rifle is a lot like dating. If the appearance is pleasing, you pick it up. Upon further examination, if you like the feel and smell of it, you take it home.

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Re: Assault Rifles legal [Re: BFaucett]
      #19317 - 19/09/04 06:00 PM

Bob F.just to prove my point perely as a Pakistani,we had a tremendous problem regarding assault rifles especially after the last Afghan war(with the soviets)when my country was flooded with all sorts of assault weapons mainly AR15'S and AK47'S.The govt.banned these weapons and also all automatic rifles including the .223 cal.There was a marked improvement in as much that the crime rate declined and gun toting guards of politicians were seen carrying pump action shot guns rather than AK's.Even now the penalty of having an assault rifle is severe and we don't see them any more in civilian hands.
However as far as your country is concerned you dont have this problem and so banning any weapon is a denial of your basic rights which i understand.I was mainly looking at the merits and demerits of this weapon as a defensive weapon and my comment about banning them was uncalled for and as such i apologise for ruffling any feathers.

Rustbucket
.224 member

Reged: 25/04/04
      #19324 - 20/09/04 09:03 AM

Most Americans are uninformed on what a "true Assault weapon" is. I consider a true assault weapon to be a small submachine gun, a fully automatic machine pistol or something like an AK 47. The assault weapon ban also captures semi auto versions of the above, and semi auto magazine fed rifles such as the FN Fal or AR 15. The "intended plan" is a slippery slope if you listen to the groups like Handgun Control.
Shooting the semi auto versions of the real assault weapons is fun. Enjoy it while you can, if Hillary wins in 2008 (Heaven Forbid it!), she will go after gun control in a big way.

BFaucett
.333 member

#19332 - 21/09/04 06:26 AM

iqbal,

You didn't ruffle any of my feathers! I think one of the great things about Internet forums like this is that people from different countries can share information, exchange ideas, learn about and from each other.

Best regards,
-Bob F.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2734

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com