Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Buffalo Hunting in Australia

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Plains99
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Dodge City, Kansas, USA
Buffalo Hunting in Australia
      #31468 - 19/05/05 06:30 AM

How does buffalo hunting in Australia compare to Cape hunting? We've hunted Indian River Buffalo in Florida and it was OK but for the money I'd have rather spent a couple of grand more and gone to Africa. How do costs generally compare between the Australian species and Cape hunting and can a fellow get a quality fair chase experience?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Buffalo Hunting in Australia [Re: Plains99]
      #31485 - 19/05/05 02:15 PM

98% of water buffalo hunting is fair chase. If you get a non-fair chase water buffalo hunt it is because you asked for it. Three or four properties around Australia have water buffalo behind wire, at least one in the Northern Territory, one in South Australia and one in Queensland. Maybe more. One should also make sure if hunting in a non-fenced area that the buffalo are wild and not released after being farmed.

Lets move away from non-fair chase water buffalo. No need for that.

You can hunt water buffalo on cattle station country (ie "ranches") which can be very very big. Or in true wilderness areas in Arnhemland.

Station water buffalo often are less plentiful or dense in an area. Trophy size can vary but some big trophies do come off the cattle stations. But the advantage of a station hunt is it can be a bit cheaper. A real advantage of a station hunt is that wild pigs are often more plentiful and allow other hunting "in situ" to the buffalo hunt.

Arnhemland hunts in good areas have plentiful buffalo and you are hunting in true wilderness areas. Some of the most remote countryside in the world. Most of Arnhemland has never been colonised by the "white fella" and was made an Aboriginal reserve back in the 1930's (from memory). The Territory in the 1930's was still a wild place with 'myalls' (wild Aboriginals) still in existence and in some Territory towns people still wore pistols on their belts until the 1950's.

A water buffalo is bigger than a cape buffalo and in my opinion a big one is a more impressive trophy than a cape buffalo to look at. Especially if it has wide sweeping horns. Comments I have received (I am not an expert on either!) say the while a water buffalo is probably not as aggressive as a cape buffalo initially they can be harder to put down. A .375 H&H and above is recommended.

A water buffalo hunt in the Northern Territory has very much an "African" safari feel and from what I have seen of Florida buff hunts, the animals as trophies are not comparable nor is the hunting. From my limited experience the hunting of either was similar in experience. The water buffalo I hunted were less shy of humans but that is actually because some of them have rarely seen a human being in the whole lives. The main difference I see in a Cape Buff safari vs a Water buffalo safari in the NT was Africa has more game of other species in the same hunting area. In Aust you might want to arrange some 'side' hunts for : wild boar; or deer say in Northern Queensland or New Caledonia. Banteng bulls (Asian wild cattle) and scrub bulls (wild bulls - ie cattle) are two other very good species to hunt.

A big benefit of Australia is that it is a First World Western country. You do not need innoculations against diseases. Hospitals are world class. You can buy films, batteries, fuel, etc etc. It is safe and without political strife and violence.

Another option I like to promote is if bringing your family it is very easy to tack on a wonderful holiday onto a water buffalo safari. Generally you will fly into the NT via Sydney and then via Darwin ('The Top End') or Cairns ('Far North Queensland and the Great Barier Reef).

The "Top End" and the "Red Centre" of the Northern Territory both offer fantastic holidays with many unique sights, such as Kakadu, Katherine River Gorge, Ayers Rock ('Uluru'), Kings Canyon, etc.

Far North Queensland offer great beach holidays, tropical islands and resorts, the Great Barrier Reef (the world's largest coral reef), snorkeling, rainforest bush walking etc. Many of the American Presidents have holidayed at the resorts there.

Both offer good shopping for the wife. Maybe not a plus .

Prices for a water buffalo hunt are in the range of US$5,500 to US$8,000, sometimes less from some outfitters. Including one buffalo trophy. You will need to get them to quote to you directly.

My recommendation is hunt both Cape Buffalo AND water buffalo! I do.

You may have seen this already but I have re-posted my buffalo story from last year into a more reader friendly format. Read it here.

Water buffalo outfitters here, feel free to offer your comments.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Plains99
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Dodge City, Kansas, USA
Re: Buffalo Hunting in Australia [Re: NitroX]
      #31532 - 19/05/05 11:31 PM

Sounds very interesting and the wife is an issue as she won't set foot in Africa. I don't like leaving her behind while I go adventuring. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth. As far as trophy size is concerned, I'd rather take an average bull on a fair chase hunt than a world class trophy behind a fence. It is the quality of the experience that concerns me more than the size of the trophy. Heck, folks here is Dodge City wouldn't know the difference anyway. Thanks. I'll start some investigation.

The_Professor
.224 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: NSW Australia
      #31644 - 21/05/05 11:50 AM

Hi Plains99

NitroX has given you a fair, complete picture. Wild and Free is not really an issue in Australia as you would have to work very hard to find the few 'behind wire' outfits.

The Water Buff is a very impressive trophy. I have not personally hunted in Africa and so I cannot comment but there has been quite some arguement as to which species is the more dangerous.

You are probably aware that many of the USA gunwriters suggest that the Cape Buff is the most dangerous of the Africam Big 5. The Water Buff is often painted as less dangerous being technically a 'feral' animal.

Many Australians question the ferocity of the Water Buff and I think much of this is done in ignorance. The evidence they quote is the number of Buff that were slaughtered, often with the relatively anaemic 303 British, during a government irradication programme. Most of these Buff were shot from vehicles or choppers.

My own experience of a couple of hunts is that being in the midst of these very fine animals, in their own territory, on foot, often knee deep in swamp is a wonderfull experience. Despite my comments on another thread I would bring the biggest capacity rifle you own, 375 H&H minimum.

Regards,
The Professor.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #31713 - 22/05/05 09:05 AM

Plains99,

NitroX and the professor have summed it up very well.
A couple of points I would lik to add.

The Water Buffalo is vastly underated as a DG animal. Not so much ferocity / agrressiveness
as I believe that Cape Buffalo are more agrressive - I haven't hunted Africa but have spoken t many who have.

The Water Buffalo can be very hard to put down.

In addition, you see alot of stories about them being shot with sub 375 calibres. However the difference
between a huge lone Trophy bull weighing 1 ton with MASSIVE NECK and SHOULDERS aged
12 years and over VERSUS a large cow or younger bulls is tremedous.

I have shot a fair number of Water Buffalo of ALL sizes with a wide range of calibres while
testing bullets and other things (hence 9.3 listed as min below). The above is based on the experience
gathered directly over 5 years or so and from others over 30 - 40 years.

ANY water buffalo and especially a large bull will have no hesitation in charging / having a go at you
if it knows where you are and / or you corner it when wounded. I had a full on charge from a cow
this year that was running away from me (I was chasing it through scrub) and then just turned around
on a dime and came straight for me.

MINIMUM Calibre for Water Buffalo is 375H&H / 9.3 x 64 (or 9.3 x 62 with 286 or preferably 320gn RN's.)

They are well worth hunting so if you get the chance to come over, do so - with your family as they will
love Australia.

500 Nitro

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2687

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com