Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Even more 6.5 mm M-S /water buffalo discussions ;)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
Even more 6.5 mm M-S /water buffalo discussions ;)
      #43434 - 08/12/05 11:28 AM

Wrong Marty - the number of shots was correct but it was a Mannlicher 6.5!!

My sincere apologies to Orion and everyone. I can't help myself...

Matt

(This post and all replies were moved from the " Win a free book on ''Pig hunting in Australia' " thread on the general forum. Keeping the original on-topic)

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

Edited by NitroX (10/12/05 04:46 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Win a free book on ''Pig hunting in Australia' [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #43452 - 08/12/05 01:28 PM

In reply to:

Poster: Matt_Graham
Subject: Re: Win a free book on ''Pig hunting in Australia'

Wrong Marty - the number of shots was correct but it was a Mannlicher 6.5!!

My sincere apologies to Orion and everyone. I can't help myself...

Ah but then it would have been a one shot kill.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Marty
.300 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Darwin. NT, Australia
Re: Win a free book on ''Pig hunting in Australia' [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #43480 - 09/12/05 01:43 AM

Oh you smart arse.

I think he said " I want to shoot every animal in Africa with my .218 Bee, and I will ask for advice on the suitability of that calibre for the biggest game on the continent, for the next year, then ignore all advice given and go and do it regardless.....". Hows that?

OK. Now I'm being a smart arse.

No worries. I will post again on that thread sometime soon.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Win a free book on ''Pig hunting in Australia' [Re: Marty]
      #43487 - 09/12/05 04:24 AM

Marty

What has shooting "biggest game" in Australia to do with this thread of a movie scene hunting rhino?

Was the thread a request for "advice"? I thought it was just a topic for discussion. Marraki if I remember was the only poster who had actually used a 6.5 mm M-S.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Marty
.300 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Darwin. NT, Australia
Re: Win a free book on ''Pig hunting in Australia' [Re: NitroX]
      #43566 - 10/12/05 02:55 AM

In reply to:

Marty

What has shooting "biggest game" in Australia to do with this thread of a movie scene hunting rhino?

Ahhh. Nothing. The .218 Bee thing was a joke. As was Matts comment.

In reply to:

Was the thread a request for "advice"? I thought it was just a topic for discussion. Marraki if I remember was the only poster who had actually used a 6.5 mm M-S.

Only so many ways to interpret "Is a 6.5x54mm adequate for water buffalo?" Sounds like someone asking for advice to me. When the ONLY member who has hunted them with a 6.5 MS comes back and says he has 50% failure rate with that calibre, what other conclusion can you draw than it is an inadequte calibre? This is a guy who has shot no end of buff with no end of calibres. Yet despite this advice, the hunt went on. Fine. But if you are going to ignore advice, from people who know, why ask advice in the first place? If Marrakai had a 100% failure rate on Buff, would the hunt with the 6.5 have gone ahead? I suggest it would have.

And I would suggest that based on the information provided, and the questions asked, that the hunt of a Buff with a 6.5 MS was unethical, and unwarrented based on the fact other calibres were available. I would also suggest the reasons for using this calibre considered the animal last, not first. And that the line between a downed animal, and a screw up was very thin.

Any "One shot kill" when an animal has four rounds in it. Is not a one shot kill in my book. Period.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re:Even more 6.5 mm M-S /water buffalo discussions [Re: Marty]
      #43574 - 10/12/05 04:29 AM

1. Orion has shot a fairnumber of buffalo in the past with his .270 and had no problem with using his 6.5 mm. His main need for advice was only what projectile to select for his handloads.

2. I posted the thread and I had no intention of using a 6.5mm. The post was only for discussion to see what comments members or experiences the members had to share. I had no intention of 'demanding' anything of him.

3. I did suggest Orion talk it over with the outfitter and make sure they were both comfortable with the idea. The outfitter had no real concerns. They were both aware, a close stalk would be required. A careful shot and good placement required. Perhaps some animals could not be attempted if the ideal shot was not presented. The guide or PH would be of course armed with a much more powerful rifle and I guess decide when and how he joined in if necessary.

4. One buffalo took 3 or 4 shots (I forget exactly how many, I wasn't there). One careful shot into the 'boiler room' and the PH yelled for Orion to make additional shots at the rear of the retreating animal which Orion actually with hindsight disagreed with as they were ineffectual as he guessed they would be. Maybe a fourth shot into the chest, but I forget.

The SECOND buffalo per Orion took one shot. Again the PH asked for additional shots but this time Orion ignored him and after a short while the buffalo died from loss of blood and the effects of a one-shot fatal wound.

Interestingly my own buffalos also took several shots. The first shot each time would have been more dramatic as the buffalo certainly came crashing down, unlike the "shiver" Orion got.

My belief is the only shots that will quickly and cleanly kill any very large animal is a brain shot, or a neck spinal shot. With any calibre. With other shots one must wait for internal haemoraging for the beast to die and in a large animal this is not instant.

5. Ethics. As the above proves, the results were similar. In fact I would argue the stress and shock on the buffalo would be greater with my large bore than the medium bore. But neither causes me to loose sleep. Maybe worriers should take up knitting kharki jumpers instead.

6. Matt's post was obvious meant to be humorous and was. Your post was a classic flaming post. An argument from another thread was interjected into a discussion unrelated.

7. Everyone has an opinion. People can state their opinions here. It makes for lively discussion. But why do some people need to believe only their opinion is right and must be followed by everyone else?

8. We do have video of Orion's hunts and will oneday post it. Whether it "proves" anything I don't know. Never was the hunt meant to "prove" anything. It was a gentleman's desire to use a new favorite rifle legally on a game animal he had not hunted with it before for his pleasure. I imagine that 6.5mm will take most game species in Australia before it is one day hung up and it is already well on the way, including I believe a large free range bull elk (yep Aussie elk! ). I'm guessing camel might be a strong possibility for 2006.

If you are impatient for the videos, they may take a while as I don't even have a copy of them yet, have never yet created a movie file for the net, and want to decide how they are presented, maybe you can post some nice buffalo hunting stories and photos of your own on NE.com. Might even win a Double Gun Journal magazine if you are lucky.

Marty, have fun and I hope you continue to enjoy NE.com.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re:Even more 6.5 mm M-S /water buffalo discussions [Re: NitroX]
      #43575 - 10/12/05 04:47 AM

(This post and all replies were moved from the " Win a free book on ''Pig hunting in Australia' " thread on the general forum. Keeping the original on-topic)

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
      #43595 - 10/12/05 08:06 AM

Yikes!! What have I done?

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re:Even more 6.5 mm M-S /water buffalo discussions [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #43622 - 10/12/05 12:09 PM

Matt

They just re-opened a old discussion where everything had been said at least once already, or so I thought.

Hopefully some new material is added if the discussions keep on going.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Bushie
.224 member

Reged: 24/10/05
      #43824 - 13/12/05 02:16 AM

Quote : Occasionally a client or hunter has a different main objective. Like Orion he has a new 'vintage' rifle and wanted to use it.

Whilst Orion obviously managed to kill a couple of buff , is quite probably a good shot and knows something of anatomy I'm surprised that the PH let him go ahead with the 6.5mm . At the end of the day IMO we (and PH's can influence our decisions)) have a responsibility to use a calibre that is sufficient to humanely dispatch the game animal in the event that something doesn't go exactly to plan . To do otherwise invites the scorn of fellow hunters (as has been demonstrated on this forum) but more importantly the non - hunting public . Unfortunately a publicised failure on Orion's behalf would have reflected poorly on not only him but hunters in general . Not many of us like wearing the sh-t that rains down when one of our peers makes a poor decision .
My understanding is that the European "WEI HEI" tradition implies respect for the fallen quarry . I would implore Orion to consider a humane death for his quarry above his desire to test the outer limits of his Mannlicher and his marksmanship .
There is another internet hunting forum that I look at and post on occassionally called longrangehunting . I have the same issues with shooting (at) Elk at 750 yards that I have with using marginal calibres on game . When the S.H.T.F. the animal is the one that suffers .
A hunter needs to be very careful when relating his exploits if he is prone to pushing the envelope in terms of what may generally be considered humane . Some of the audience will be impressed , most will not .
This is not meant as a personal attack on Orion and I hope he can see that . If it prompts anyone to reflect upon their own similar actions and perhaps reconsider then it will have been successful .My guess is that most of us have made shots that in hindsight we're not proud of .

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re:Even more 6.5 mm M-S /water buffalo discussions [Re: Bushie]
      #43882 - 13/12/05 01:28 PM

In reply to:

Whilst Orion obviously managed to kill a couple of buff , is quite probably a good shot

Killed two more buff to add to the 20 + in the past.

In reply to:

and knows something of anatomy

Intimate knowledge actually.

In reply to:

I'm surprised that the PH let him go ahead with the 6.5mm .

If your argument was the case there would be no bow hunted buffalo, or no muzzle loading BP buffalo hunts ............. etc etc

--------------------
John aka NitroX

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #43899 - 13/12/05 03:58 PM

Isnt that Orion ( M P ) with full wood rifle in the latest ADA mag JH

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re:Even more 6.5 mm M-S /water buffalo discussions [Re: gryphon]
      #43908 - 13/12/05 06:03 PM

Probably. I am not a member of the ADA at the moment.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Bushie
.224 member

Reged: 24/10/05
      #43915 - 13/12/05 08:41 PM

Quote : If your argument was the case there would be no bow hunted buffalo, or no muzzle loading BP buffalo hunts ............. etc etc

... and if I'm incorrect then it's sporting and humane to use any calibre (or weapon) you like on any game you like as long as your PH says so ?
My definitions of what constitutes sporting or humane behaviour obviously differ from some .

ORION
.275 member

Reged: 25/01/03
Loc: SSouth Australia
Re:Even more 6.5 mm M-S /water buffalo discussions [Re: Bushie]
      #44804 - 24/12/05 07:30 PM

Hi everyone,

to all the big calliber shooters

Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year!

May the game you hunt run slow and your bullets fly fast.

Waihi
Orion

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 133 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3531

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com