Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: European carp

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
European carp
      #145809 - 13/11/09 07:11 PM

Just another shit thing introduced to Aus that became an incredible pest..i saw a few down our creek and got prompted into action by a member elsewhere,I shot a few last year an dit was time again so I grabbed my old Krico .22 a few Winny power points jumped on the quad and took off down to the creek,first spot realised sfa so i went 1/2 mile downstream to where I had seen one big fish previously and voila!

After a bit of sneaking along the bank (uncomfortably in waist high feed) I sprung a pair,bang ! Rolled the fat pig! The fat pigs mate swam to it and it copped one also. After trying to get across the creek I saw another and banged that bastard too,it was in deep water so it can stay there!
Its true that in Australia they are regarded as just shit!

I will use them for some yabby (crawdads)or fox bait.

The fat pig is a real porker too,check the guts on it,no doubt full of milt or eggs and go`s 770mm without having someone hold it out to its true length.
I wore my 17 inch snake boots for some peace of mind.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: European carp [Re: gryphon]
      #145811 - 13/11/09 07:54 PM

Funny old world we live in Gryph, there are blokes in the UK who spend well over £2000 a year to sit by a lake in Winter in 3 deg C to try and catch them on rods !!! best, Mike

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: European carp [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #145815 - 13/11/09 08:29 PM

Good on ya Gryph.

I love shooting Carp, especially with a Shotgun
but it gets a bit expensive !!!

A shotgun will blast them out of the water and onto the bank
5 - 10 feet away.

I just love killing them and wish we were allowed to use nets to catch them here.

Mike
Yes, having come from the UK where I spent a fair amount of time in the Country, to Aust, it amazed me to see how many Carp and how easy they are to catch.

gryphon
.450 member

#145816 - 13/11/09 08:34 PM

Yes Mike i have seen those keen as mustard coarse fishermen in England mainly catching the old carp,these fish are worse than rabbits here haha as you can at least eat rabbits.

I ate some Gefilte fish in a can one day,lets say sardines are much better.

I have seen the days where you couldn't carry enough 22 ammo to shoot what you would see,true as too Mike.

Yanga Station weir at Balranald NSW on the down side had carp massing like leaves on a lawn,hundreds of thousands of them as they couldnt get over the concrete wall.

Its legal to catch them but illegal to throw back whether dead or alive,many a country kid has gone down the creek,river or dam and "shot shit outa the carp"

They are still electro fished in Gippsland where a common catch is 20 tons..the fishermen introduce shocko to the water which stuns them,they then float to the surface and then are pitch forked into the boats can you believe it?

Not that I counted but the fat pig had two egg banks of a kilo each,i dumped the carcases "up the back" for the foxes and eagles.

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

#145817 - 13/11/09 08:39 PM

John

Yes, I always found that the Hawks in NSW used to have a good feed of the dead carp so always made sure a few were shot and left for them.

Only used them once as fox bait but we had already shot the crap out of the property so not many foxes left so not sure if it was going to work.

Anyway, at least that is 2 less.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Re: European carp [Re: 500Nitro]
      #145820 - 13/11/09 10:25 PM

Jeez, 20 TONS !!!? The french and hungarians love to eat them, isn't there a deal there somewhere ? I've seen carp on menus at £12 a dish. best, Mike p.s. apparently a bit of corn on a fly rod is a lot of fun

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
      #145825 - 13/11/09 10:50 PM

I have caught plenty big ones on fly rod - they are heaps of fun. Still kill them afterward though. I havent seen them in huge numbers for a long time, up my way, seems as the native fish making a comeback has slowed the old carp down...

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: European carp [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #145832 - 14/11/09 12:03 AM

Are these carp vegetarian or carnivorous?

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Re: European carp [Re: EricD]
      #145836 - 14/11/09 01:06 AM

They eat almost anything Eric !

ArnoldB
.300 member

Reged: 23/07/04
Loc: Uk
      #145848 - 14/11/09 03:50 AM

They sell them in Sainsbury's to eat.
Hugh Fearnley is a fan of them.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: European carp [Re: ArnoldB]
      #145849 - 14/11/09 04:45 AM

I think the one's in the UK are alot more edible than the one's here as your water is a lot cleaner / clearer.

Over here, they stir up the mud on the bottom and
make rivers all muddy. As a result, they can tastes like Mud.

I have eaten them and would do in a Survival situation but we have some much better fish to eat !!!

ArnoldB
.300 member

Reged: 23/07/04
Loc: Uk
      #145850 - 14/11/09 04:48 AM

That's why or they breed them specifically in clear water tanks or you catch them alive and put them, only the young one's, in clean water for a couple of days.

Even here they would taste of mud if you didn't do that.

gryphon
.450 member

Re: European carp [Re: ArnoldB]
      #145862 - 14/11/09 05:56 AM

Such a resilient fish made itself at home here as our own waterways had been fished to death by gill and drum nets for all time until the regs were changed.

Our native Murray Cod will swallow them whole but cod numbers were well down when the carp hit our inland waters and simply got into plague proportions and are here to stay.

Even though they are many they are nothing like the numbers explosion of the `70s onwards,I will continue to shoot the bastards. The heat has slowed our creek down and they will now concentrate in the deeper holes and they do love to suck the surface of insects..hence the head shots.
We have platypus in our creek along with trout also.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #145889 - 14/11/09 04:16 PM

I'm not much of a fisherman, but years ago when scouting a Murray River duck reserve/swamp in January prior to the season - Kataraptko - now a ffffing commie National Park - came repeatedly across masses of carp all thrashing in a large circle each time several metres wild and nothing but continual thrashing fish bodies.

Fashioned a home made spear from a knife.

A shotgun would have been better.

Explosives even better.

What were the carp doing? Spawning? Feeding?

The homemade spear didn't work well as the fish just slipped straight off it, unless the water was shallow enough to pin them to the swamp bed.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #145890 - 14/11/09 04:18 PM

We have scads over here also. A lot of fun to hunt with a Bow and more fun to fly fish for. They are a good fighter and get up to 20 lbs or so pretty easily.

They make great fertilizer for planting trees and shrubs.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: European carp [Re: NitroX]
      #145891 - 14/11/09 04:18 PM

I've used a Spear - and a Machete thrown, spear was 3 prongs and worked.

Machete made a deep cut and you had to jump quick to grab it
as sometimes the Carp would wriggle away (or try to).

If you swamp was low in water, they can collect all together in the shallows, especially when sunny.

500Nitro
.450 member

#145892 - 14/11/09 04:22 PM

Mickey

That's what the one's they catch down in Gippsland are used for. Fertiliser.

Pity we can't net them in other places now as well.

gryphon
.450 member

#145935 - 15/11/09 11:07 AM

and pet food also,can you believe that there was never enough cats in Aus to eat all the carp that were available.

--------------------

JohnWilkes
.300 member

Reged: 19/01/09
Loc: SA
      #145937 - 15/11/09 12:58 PM

A couple of years ago I approached the relevant Govt body here re netting carp from waterways
OTHER than the Murray and its backwaters. They could not would not get their heads around it and
in typical "we've never heard about it or done it before in SA therefore we will be awkward"style they continually bleated about the net restrictions in the Murray backwaters. In the end we gave up.
No cost to them benefit to the enviroment and $$$ .......what retards.

Strangely in the Middle ages in Britain they were grown in so called Stew ponds of monasteries
etc and were often the Friday fish. As many will know if placed in wet sacks they will stay alive a
long time and I always felt this ability to transport them pre refridgeration and their prodigous growth and breeding rate contributed to their popularity more than their culinary attributes.
The cleaning out in clear water(as mentioned above) works I have had some Vietnamese fish cakes
made from them which were great. Other than that tres ordinaire.

They make excellent bait for pig traps.

--------------------
Horses for courses
Guns for game
Hounds for grounds

iomskp
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/08
Loc: Cairns Queensland Australia
Re: European carp [Re: JohnWilkes]
      #145947 - 15/11/09 03:44 PM

Many years ago when the european carp first appeared in the irrigation drainage systems in Victoria we found if you took of the head and tail and bled them straight away the flesh was white and they were quite edible.

gryphon
.450 member

Re: European carp [Re: iomskp]
      #145949 - 15/11/09 05:49 PM

Realistically though if they were any good there would be a market for them..I don't doubt they would taste pretty good over the fire if you had nothing else to eat and hadnt eaten for a week.

Maybe some of our Asian friends would cook them up well though.

--------------------

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
      #145954 - 15/11/09 06:50 PM

You'd think someone would have found a market for them eh???

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

gryphon
.450 member

Re: European carp [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #145959 - 15/11/09 08:30 PM

Yes tough to believe that the Sth E Asian market wouldnt have jumped on them by now,that to me suggests they arent 'that good' though the Asians do breed some species of carp for tucker.

--------------------

JohnWilkes
.300 member

Reged: 19/01/09
Loc: SA
      #145962 - 15/11/09 10:26 PM

Truth is that it is protectionism and moribund stupidity plain and simple. They are of course a huge readily available proetin source even if they were used for stock feed or UN food aid.BUT there is a vested interest from the commercial fishing sector etc etc
By the same token, (a different horse out of the same stable so to speak): all greenies should wear Australian fox fur coats, but they don't do they? The kangaroo should be ranched as are plains game in Africa: "oh its our national symbol whinge whinge, so is the Springbok in RSA and they export $$$
every year, take a teaspoon of cement and toughen the f##k up Australia. Rant now ends...........
I won't even mention flat dogs etc

--------------------
Horses for courses
Guns for game
Hounds for grounds

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: European carp [Re: JohnWilkes]
      #145965 - 15/11/09 10:48 PM

This thread brings back fond memories of my childhood in New Jersey. We lived across the street from a small lake/pond that masquaraded as such but was actually a ditch for chemical and sewage runoff from the upstream cities and towns. It was disgusting and in the right light the surface glowed the beauty greens and blues of an oil slick.

For two or three years we had carp population explosions, they being the only living thing in the water except for mosquitos and a few snapping turtles. We kids made spears and had quite a heyday then gave up on what demanded skill and went to bent-hook garden forks and merely gaffed them off the bank for some meaningless but enjoyable bloodsport. Sure was fun, though we quickly got out of breath holding it due to the stench of chemicals and the after effects of the upstream population's last meals.

How carp survived in that cesspool I have no idea, but after those big numbers they dropped fast and we went back to fishing them and occaisionally we caught some that were then subjected to firecracker sandwiches and experimentations with M80's until the cops were notified and we had to go back to air rifling squirrels in the seclusion of our backyards.

Carp at the table. No thanks, if only because I always associate them with the combined smells of aromatic hydrocarbons, the spewing of industrial runoff and somebody's last tummy ache...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 77 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7061

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com