Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Do Aussie hunters waste game meat?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Do Aussie hunters waste game meat?
      #11194 - 08/03/04 09:38 PM

Aussie hunters have traditionally had almost unlimited game to hunt.

Vast herds of buffalo.

Unwanted feral pigs and goats seen as nothing but pests.

Feral bulls that interfere with cattle musters and are a nuisance.

Excesses of roos with government tags demanding the carcases be left to rot.

Sadly a lot of these numbers have disappeared for one reason or another. Better controls. Commercial markets being developed for game meats among others.

Many of these hunts result in game being shot. Perhaps some photos. Maybe a trophy for the wall. The carcase left to rot.

Hunters in Europe or America often see such waste as shameful, even disgraceful. Often laws exist to penalise hunters who do NOT utilise the meat o venison g Alaska.

So what excuses do we Australian hunters have for such behaviour? Can we justify such to the non-shooting public? Are we just lazy buggers?

Comments please. Non-Aussies welcome.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bakes
.375 member

Reged: 31/01/03
Loc: QLD
Re: Do Aussie hunters waste game meat? [Re: NitroX]
      #11196 - 08/03/04 10:48 PM

Yep lazy, high temps make it not worth while to keep game, not many guys go hunting with a cool room out back of burke. In Lithgow mid winter I kept rabbits and goats, up here I don't worry. I have a cool room lined up for a yearling buff if/when I get one but for pigs I wouldn't bother. I've taken donkey meat for dog tucker and crab bait. Culture would play a big part as well. Italian/Greek hunters would be more inclined to keep their quarry Duck/Quail/Hare. Deer hunters would keep the meat, but the average pig hunter (if he's not hunting for the chiller) would let the animal rot. Fact of life in Australian hunting.

Boghossian
.275 member

Reged: 23/01/04
Re: Do Aussie hunters waste game meat? [Re: Bakes]
      #11201 - 09/03/04 01:51 AM

You cannot make genralisations with such a varied sport as hunting (lifestyle even). Although in the past, periods of "wanton destruction" have resulted in low populations of game animals (see the Quagga, Blk Wildebeest etc) all of which were shot away and many left to rot...but, again no rules!
The low population of hunters compared to the vast area + game that reproduces at astronomic rates mean that you can afford to be "wasteful". I doubt that the heat/distances make it IMPOSSIBLE to save the meat, but they must be a nuisance! Imagine having to stop hunting in 30 minutes because you have to gut, and pack out a 120lb sow when there are dozens more ripping up the countryside (litterally) within the surrounding mile! I guess that if public outcry reaches a serious point (as it did for the "massacre" of ducks) then perhaps things could be changed....until then, you can't please everyone all the time!
Good hunting!

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Do Aussie hunters waste game meat? [Re: Boghossian]
      #11222 - 09/03/04 06:09 AM

"I doubt that the heat/distances make it IMPOSSIBLE to save the meat, "

Mate when you live in a city here you might drive ten bloody hours to get to your pig hunting property and seeing feral pigs are just that and the av aussie wont eat them (unless a hand picked young `un) we usually cant be bothered at all trying to save such pox meat,of course we will hang a few for the dogs but most time we just hunt em as they are not game animals but a feral pest.
The world knows Oz is a big country but its not until you get down here and away from the cities do you realise how big it is and what sort of hours we travel which makes it all the tougher to save a bit of meat and that bit of meat after a w/ends hunting might be over a ton in weight........it is impossible unless you are accredited to take to a chiller(if there is one)

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Do Aussie hunters waste game meat? [Re: gryphon]
      #11235 - 09/03/04 10:02 AM

Hey you guys, I'm not chucking any rocks or anything. I just think that no matter how big the land mass is, game numbers are finite. You may think now that there is plenty, but what of the future? If y'all kill everything that you can see, how long can this practice last? Just curious.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Do Aussie hunters waste game meat? [Re: 475Guy]
      #11243 - 09/03/04 01:10 PM

I had a German hunter visit last year and I set him up with a local outfitter to hunt deer. He wanted a chital or something like that.

He ended up refusing to book a hunt as he was a very traditional hunter and when he asked what happens to the venison and he was told it was wasted to did not hunt with the outfitter out of principle.

I was a bit upset about this as I had promised to set this blokeup with some hunting or take him out myself. So I was not happy (with myself) that he missed out. He even brought his hunting horn with him!

It does seem an incredible waste to leave an entire deer carcase to rot in the paddock. I must say I have recovered all the venison from every deer I have deer taken. Haven't taken a sambar stag way out over a mountain range or two yet so won't crow.

I do have more things to say but gotta run. Grapes to pick!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Bakes
.375 member

#11263 - 09/03/04 09:56 PM

To process, say a pig, out bush away from a coolroom would need a generator and a dedicated camp fridge (Large), then you need the space to carry it (bigger vehicle?)and once you have it on the ground the hunting for that day has stopped. If you've driven 10-12 hours to hunt for a weekend and thats your yearly trip then your not going to waste time in cutting up a pig carcuss. Also some pigs (up north) carry some nastie stuff and most will feed on carrion....so stuff that, I'll buy a leg of pork from the supermarket on the way home.

Hunting deer would be different as mostly your hunting for one animal, once decked the hunts over anyway.

gary
.224 member

Reged: 06/03/04
      #11265 - 10/03/04 12:09 AM

At a dam on a property we hunt, Nip our Jack Russell was going off at a dead donkey. It wasn't until we walked closer that four small hogs ran out of its insides.

I agree with Bakes, if I want pork I'll go to Supermarket.

Down south we mostly kept the meat. (goat and rabbits)

475Guy
.400 member

Re: Do Aussie hunters waste game meat? [Re: gary]
      #11271 - 10/03/04 02:56 AM

Well, in that case, I'd leave it lie too. I've hunted pigs that were meat eaters and they would have worms and other critters from ingesting carrion. Talk about stink, a skunk would be perfume after that. Yuck.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #11279 - 10/03/04 06:14 AM

We sambar hunters do our best to get all of the deer meat out even if it means multiple trips over the hills.

Shit a boar i shot just outside Normanton one morning had a green mouth from eating a dead cow and holy hell didnt it stink,i had the missus and kids as we were driving down to the Isa for xmas shopping and threw the jaw in the back of the wagon,complaints complaints are all i got and that was when it was fresh off the pig,which incidentally only a bloody starving pygmy would eat.
Hey great pic of the foxy doing its thing by the donkey Gary.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

ChuckWagon
.275 member

Reged: 09/02/04
Loc: USA
Re: Do Aussie hunters waste game meat? [Re: gryphon]
      #11288 - 10/03/04 10:45 AM

Dont you guys have red stags and other stuff to hunt besides bloody pigs and roo's ? I have always wanted to hunt ozz and fish the reef. Ozz would be my first pick of a place to go to hunt, fish, buy opals and chase sheila's. You guys gottta do something about that warm beer in cans though. Tastes like skunk piss

--------------------
Life is more like a jar of Jalapeno's than a box of chocolates. What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow !

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Do Aussie hunters waste game meat? [Re: ChuckWagon]
      #11290 - 10/03/04 10:55 AM

"warm beer" surely you jest.

The "outback" Engel (portable fridge / freezer) was invented to cart beer out and meat back in.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#11291 - 10/03/04 11:04 AM

(fellows I'm playing the devil's advocate here)

Bakes

Is it an excuse that a hunter "can't" stop to harvest wil pork merely because he wants to do more shooting?

Isn't this an argument that we do waste "good" meat?

More info on the guiding operation for deer I mentioned earlier.

When this guide guides Aussie clients normally they take the venison back with them. IF they drove over.

When he guides foreign clients I imagine a lot of the time the venison is wasted.

Why? Because the client can't utilise the meat. Maybe the guide has his freezers full of venison and is already eating it and even feeding his dogs.

The wild shot venison can not be legally sold so it can't be utilised that way either.

I personally find this an incredible and unbelievable shame and waste.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Bakes
.375 member

#11296 - 10/03/04 11:37 AM

I agree mate we do waste alot of meat, but is that meat fit to eat(pig)? Proberly, proberly not I'm not going to take the risk with pork.

In reply to:

Is it an excuse that a hunter "can't" stop to harvest wil pork merely because he wants to do more shooting

When the property owner says to get rid of the pigs he's not worried if the meat is used, he wants the pigs gone.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#11301 - 10/03/04 11:53 AM

Yes I waste feral pork too which I also find a shame as I love pork and also love eating true wild boar (in Europe). I wonder if with some of our ferals if the meat isn't becoming gamier?

I do understand that it is possible to harvest younger animals with more safety as to potential diseases.

Also maybe we need to educate ourselves as to what to look for. There was a feral pork / game meat processor at Walgett which we drove past when going into town. You could buy wild pork from it and we should have visited it to see what is involved.

I read more and more about Southern pig hunters only shooting 4 or 5 pigs on a trip. I think making use of a nice meat animal may become more important over time to justify the trip (and more time to deal with the meat as well).

DID YOU KNOW IT IS ACTUALLY ILLEGAL TO TRANSPORT THE FERAL MEAT OVER STATE BORDERS?!

I didn't.

When hunting feral goats I always try to shoot one or two nice younger animals for meat. There is nothing wrong with non-old-billys and the meat tastes like mutton. A medium sized youngster when dressed and quartered fits into an 'esky' with ice easily. Room to spare. No excuses with goats for not utilizing at least some of the meat.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

ChuckWagon
.275 member

#11302 - 10/03/04 11:55 AM

I bet a cold Fosters sounds pretty good heh after seeing those grapes in your sleep every night

--------------------
Life is more like a jar of Jalapeno's than a box of chocolates. What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow !

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#11317 - 10/03/04 02:40 PM

FOSTERS! No way!

My usual is a South Australian Coopers Sparkling Ale. James Boag is nice. Southwark Premium. Some of the Hahn Beers are nice too .

A chilled riesling, or fruity blend is also very pleasant.

And for the perfect aperitif, a chilled premium sparkling shiraz . Also perfect with pork.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Bakes
.375 member

#11320 - 10/03/04 02:51 PM

The only way I would eat a feral pig is if I caught a young one and wormed it and fed it a proper diet. I have a mate that is breeding white pigs up here and I'm thinking of doing just that this year. I can use his pens you see.

ChuckWagon
.275 member

#11351 - 11/03/04 12:09 AM

I think we should have a international Brew exchange. Some of my local micro brews for some of the down under goodies I hope your taken some photos of that tractor in action ! If I could hunt off of mine I would be in heaven

--------------------

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
      #11468 - 13/03/04 12:07 PM

When you consider eating Aussie pigs you have to look at where they are and what they live on.

When I first started guiding in the NT I was ready to eat the local swine but was put off by a few, Marrakai in particular. He said that the have a high rate of that disease (just lost the name - the one that is in the US as well) that is not killed by cooking and can make you very crook. You have to freeze it -20degress for a time and then cook it to kill the bug and then it is OK. I guess that is why they can export the meat. Down south where we hunt in the mountains and western districts where they are on grain the pigs are much cleaner and dont have this disease so much. Choose your eating pig carefully, do an internal inspection and cook it properly and it is excellent meat. I certainly do not let any that we shoot in the south go to waste, at least not below 70kg liveweight. They are very good chewing and they would at least be as good for you as domestic meat, if not better. I can fully understand why Bakes and other northern hunters would not want to touch those pigs up there but thats no reason not to encourage other southern Aussies not to use their pigs when they are fit to eat.

As for other game - deer, young goats, etc - never, ever get wasted. I don't care if i have an OS hunter with me we do NOT leave a deer in the field no matter what. In fact most US and European hunters that I hunt with would have no respect for me if I did leave it. Thats the way I have found them. Naturally they cant use the meat themselves but I always find someone who wants some. In general I think Aussie hunters are very wasteful when it comes to game meat but mainly that is just about education. I always try to teach my clients stuff about utilising game meat. How to butcher, cook etc.

Nitro you mention REAL wild boar, what's the difference mate? The Aussie pigs are the exact same specie and they eat pretty much the same tucker. The continental diners don't seem to notice the difference or complain.

Cheers
MG

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Do Aussie hunters waste game meat? [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #11469 - 13/03/04 12:52 PM

Matt

My experience with true wild boar, Sus scrofa, is the meat is more gamey and was actually quite red (?), rather than white meat like pork. Also the texture was more solid. It was quite different.

I wasn't involved with the butchering of a boar though. Perhaps the meat was marinaded for the colour?

Perhaps one of our European or American Sus Scrofa hunters can provide some info?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (15/03/04 01:59 AM)

475Guy
.400 member

#11472 - 13/03/04 02:22 PM

MG, I think you are referring to Trichinosis where if you ingest the meat there will be little critters that will eat you up from the inside out. That seems to be a non- issue with most domestic and wild pigs here. There still remains the fact that pigs will eat anything and the only way you can tell is when you open 'im up.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

gary
.224 member

#11482 - 14/03/04 01:13 AM

As stated if I want pork I'll go to the supermarket, but down south when ever we went out after goat (which was every weekend) we carried some out.

Edited by gary (14/03/04 01:15 AM)

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

#11490 - 14/03/04 09:56 AM

Nitro

Our hogs are Sus scrofa too.

Have you eaten many wild pigs in Australia? Maybe only small ones?

They larger ones I have eaten have certainly had darker meat than domestic pork or the small wild ones. Not dark like venison mind you but darker all the same..... and damn tasty!

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

Edited by Matt_Graham (14/03/04 07:45 PM)

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #11516 - 14/03/04 07:49 PM

Matt,
Speaking of not wasting game meat, I read your buff biltong article in SS mag the other day.
A very good read!
I've played the biltong game a bit myself and like you say, it sure as hell tastes great and dissapears real fast!

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

#11596 - 15/03/04 09:24 PM

Yep thats the one. Trichinosis - difficult to kill. Apparently it is more prevalent in pigs close to the tropics. I think they do find it in bears too eh?

Allan - Thanks for the comments about the story - appreciated.

MG

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

Bakes
.375 member

#11681 - 17/03/04 01:04 AM

Can this bug be killed by worming the pig infected?

475Guy
.400 member

#11722 - 17/03/04 01:58 PM

B, it's hard to say as you probably will have to shoot the critter with antibiotics. If the cure don't kill it, it will definitely survive. I saw a kid in my younger days with a definite case of trichinosis and he look like death warmed over. He survived but had to endure all kinds of shots and pills.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

Boghossian
.275 member

#12076 - 21/03/04 07:22 AM

Have any of you shot and eaten a camel? I have wanted to taste camel for awhile but it is hard to come by in most locations!

gary
.224 member

#12103 - 21/03/04 02:48 PM

Tastes ok.

gary
.224 member

#12104 - 21/03/04 03:00 PM

Just another photo of our camel hunt.

Boghossian
.275 member

#12120 - 21/03/04 10:51 PM

Nice camel (although i don't know what qualifies as a trophy these days )
Do you find them to be very wary? They look like they can absorb a good shot pretty easily....
I once read an account of how they were mustered and sold, does this still happen or is it not financially viable?

gary
.224 member

#12185 - 22/03/04 09:46 PM

Because they are so tall and the place is so flat they are difficult to approach.

Bullet placement is a key factor, like on most game and we quickly learnt after observing a large bull camel absorbing a number of hits in the chest area that the neck region was the place to aim.

Camels are still being mustered and shipped overseas.

cr500
.300 member

Reged: 11/10/03
Loc: Singleton ,Australia
      #12363 - 24/03/04 06:58 PM

I,m happy to eat rabbits,quail, duck ,geese ,camel,deer and kangaroo. I have never eaten pigs because of the disease risk. I work in PNG and eat gamey pork day in day out and am sick of it. Normal domestic ,grain fed pig is OK. I,m not interested feral pig. Anything else ,yep I,ll have a go at eating it.

Boghossian
.275 member

Re: Do Aussie hunters waste game meat? [Re: cr500]
      #12605 - 27/03/04 08:48 PM

I know lots of people eat wallaby too. Does it taste better than kangaroo? Which is better?
They sell kangaroo at rip-off prices in my local supermarket. I always think of pictures of dozens of culled roos sold for dogmeat when I think of buying it!

Does anyone eat the meat of feral horses? I know there are lots of 1st generation immigrants, thought maybe they would bring the tradition from elsewhere...

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #12628 - 28/03/04 02:56 AM

Here in Nevada before the numbskull pony-huggers got their way, we used to shoot off dozens of "wild"...feral...horses to keep them from overpopulating and ruining the range, as they have now done.

We always took a yearling out and took the loin back home. It was wonderful meat!!!

Now it is a Federal crime the chase these haybags out of our gardens or fields! They have NO clue...these politicians...

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#12704 - 28/03/04 09:44 PM

Camel is quite nice red meat. Had a fair bit. Honestly I didn't think it tasted much different from lean beef.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9592

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com