Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 45/70 Lever Action On Australian Water Buffalo.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
TOBY458
.300 member

Reged: 23/01/14
Loc: Georgia, USA
45/70 Lever Action On Australian Water Buffalo.
      #250625 - 18/07/14 09:52 AM

Has anyone here had any experience with the 45/70 caliber rifle on Australian Water Buff? Looks like it's slowly gaining popularity on Cape Buffalo, but get's maligned alot as well. To me, it mirrors the performance of the 450 BP Express in it's standard loading, and equals the Nitro for Black loading of the same caliber in the heavier loadings. John Taylor had no problem with either of these calibers for large dangerous game. Any opinions here?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: 45/70 Lever Action On Australian Water Buffalo. [Re: TOBY458]
      #250627 - 18/07/14 10:02 AM

Curious to see the responses to this as I have a 45-70 Marlin Guide gun --just recently ordered some hot ammo for it..plan to use for a camp gun when camping in Griz. country..as well as some close range whitetail hunting..

Remember reading that Jeff Cooper had once reported of some using Marlin 45-70's on lion for the quick follow-up shots.

IMHO, similar to 458Win --only a tick or two slower in Velocity..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

TOBY458
.300 member

Re: 45/70 Lever Action On Australian Water Buffalo. [Re: Ripp]
      #250629 - 18/07/14 10:38 AM

I hunted 3 times in Alaska with Ed Stevenson. He had been guiding brown bear hunts for 40 years. The 45/70 was his favorite caliber. He used an old beat up Browning 1886. He liked the fast handling and fast follow up shots of the lever gun. I have a Marlin 1895SS myself. The heavy loads are quite a handful in the lightweight Marlin. Seems to recoil about like a 458 in a heavy bolt gun. Maybe the heavy recoil gives the illusion of high power. But I doubt a Buffalo could tell the difference between 500 grains at 2000fps and 420 grains at the same speed. Some people on the African forums seem to put it in the "stunt" category when used against dangerous game. But, then they turn around and say the 375 h&h is surefire death on the same animals. Something just doesn't add up....

Edited by TOBY458 (18/07/14 10:43 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

#250631 - 18/07/14 10:46 AM

I googled up some info after reading your post and read one article where the author had tested 45/70 loads to a 458w load shooting solids --same gr bullets..

The results they got per the article, showed deeper penetration from the 45/70 than the 458W..not sure if I believe that, but that is what the article stated..

A buddy of mine has had a guide gun in 45-70 for years that he uses to hunt whitetails in the marsh area's...have used it a time or two myself..have to agree that the stepped up loads have some serious kick ...

As to larger game..I have NO doubt the 45-70 would be more than adequate on a buffalo..

Ripp

btw--here is the article mentioned above,,

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/penetration.html

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (18/07/14 10:54 AM)

TOBY458
.300 member

#250632 - 18/07/14 11:21 AM

That's the same article I read recently. Makes sense that the slower velocity could make penetration better as opposed to higher velocity. Kind of like an arrow penetrating through game despite of the very low velocity. But there must be at least some advantage to the bigger faster guns. Why else would people use them over a lighter handier rifle? I have a Winchester Model 70 458 Win. and it's a very nice rifle. But damn is it big and bulky! The little lever gun feels much better in my hands.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #250635 - 18/07/14 11:58 AM

Quote:

That's the same article I read recently. Makes sense that the slower velocity could make penetration better as opposed to higher velocity.

No it doesn't. The old "Garrett" marketing chestnut again.

The only reason it might penetrate more is because the hardened lead Garrett projectiles would probably break up on impact if pushed faster.

Quote:

Kind of like an arrow penetrating through game despite of the very low velocity.

sort of because arrows have sharpened blades as points ... unlike flat nosed blunt lead bullets

Sorry to be blunt (pun intended ) but the Garrett marketing/promotion claims for selling their bullets have been around for nearly 14 years ... and are brought up over and over again.

Can you kill a dead donkey with a Garrett bullet? Only if you throw it at it slow enough ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 45/70 Lever Action On Australian Water Buffalo. [Re: NitroX]
      #250637 - 18/07/14 12:10 PM

A .45/70 can certainly kill a water buffalo, kill a cape buffalo, kill an elephant, or all sorts of stuff. With the right bullet, right load, and if shot in the right place. And the right circumstances.

There is no legal minimums in Australia, so whatever you can work out with your outfitter.

Lots of cape buffalo were shot with .303's, .30-06's, 8mm's too before legal minimums were introduced.

Most outfitters would recommend a .375 or something similar though as a preference.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (18/07/14 12:11 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#250639 - 18/07/14 12:18 PM

Just for fun, a discussion from the deep dark forgotten past.

Is a 6.5x54mm adequate for Water Buffalo?
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=21810&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

--------------------
John aka NitroX

TOBY458
.300 member

#250641 - 18/07/14 12:55 PM

My original post was more of a comparison between the 45/70 and the 450 BP Express. In the old days, before nitro powder was developed, it was considered a very capable cartridge for Buffalo and the like. But as most hunting trends go, bigger is always better in the eye of most people. Just like the old 30/30 that was once considered deadly medicine for big game, now is barely adequate. And no elk should be shot with anything less than a 338 Ultra Mag. Despite the fact that people used to find the 30/06 to be more than enough gun. Have game animals somehow gotten tougher over the years?
As far as the Garrett business goes. I definitely take that stuff with a grain of salt. I've killed far too many pine trees with pass thru penetration to doubt the penetrating power of a 458.....;)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#250649 - 18/07/14 10:43 PM

Toby,

Actually I was thinking of the .450's black powder cartridges last night and the common misconception that a .450 or .500 calibre BP cartridge was a big bore dangerous game round. Due to the modern smokeless powder view of these rifles as powerful cartridges. They were used a lot on medium sized animals. Same as people use them today, for hunting boar and pigs, deer and the like.

The 10-bore was usually considered a borderline adequate round, with the 8-bore right up there. Especially for elephant.

Even then when you read some of these old accounts, how they blast away at beasts, loosing them, shooting them multiple times.

The old .450 Martini Henry was used for shooting medium game too. Just for my personal education I need to look up what its modern expected velocities are - can anyone advise the ballistics, bullet weights etc for a M-H vintage rifle? I was told the .577/450 is equivalent to a .45/70 ?

No doubt all sorts of cartridges were used for hunting buffalo. Buffalo's Black Death reputation is largely a modern creation. Who created the term? Thousands of them were shot by individuals for hides and meat. Often with medium rounds. The wounded ones seem to be the most ornery, and using inadequate old rounds makes this more likely.

For water buffalo I reckon our Top End guys would be using a few BP Express rifles from time to time.

An Aussie gunwriter Col Allison wrote about his son shooting a water buffalo with a .243/6mm or .240, if I remember rightly.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#250652 - 18/07/14 11:02 PM

Quote:

Toby,

Actually I was thinking of the .450's black powder cartridges last night and the common misconception that a .450 or .500 calibre BP cartridge was a big bore dangerous game round. Due to the modern smokeless powder view of these rifles as powerful cartridges. They were used a lot on medium sized animals. Same as people use them today, for hunting boar and pigs, deer and the like.

The 10-bore was usually considered a borderline adequate round, with the 8-bore right up there. Especially for elephant.

Even then when you read some of these old accounts, how they blast away at beasts, loosing them, shooting them multiple times.

The old .450 Martini Henry was used for shooting medium game too. Just for my personal education I need to look up what its modern expected velocities are - can anyone advise the ballistics, bullet weights etc for a M-H vintage rifle? I was told the .577/450 is equivalent to a .45/70 ?

No doubt all sorts of cartridges were used for hunting buffalo. Buffalo's Black Death reputation is largely a modern creation. Who created the term? Thousands of them were shot by individuals for hides and meat. Often with medium rounds. The wounded ones seem to be the most ornery, and using inadequate old rounds makes this more likely.

For water buffalo I reckon our Top End guys would be using a few BP Express rifles from time to time.

An Aussie gunwriter Col Allison wrote about his son shooting a water buffalo with a .243/6mm or .240, if I remember rightly.

Roy Weatherby allegedly shot a cape buffalo with one shot from his .257 Weatherby...from what I remember,it was one shot to the head...

Think as suggested, most calibers can kill anything once or twice..whether its the most prudent choice is another matter.

Have a friend back home who used a .243 Winchester for years on elk..he hunted on his own land, elk were normally not all riled up..took his time, placed his shot well and killed an elk. Personally I dont consider a .243 a elk caliber..I like something in the .30 cal and above..but doesnt mean they can't be killed with something smaller.

Ripp

--------------------

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #250655 - 18/07/14 11:31 PM

There are actually two different aspects of using a BPE rifle today (or a 45/70 for that matter).
One is the velocity of course and the other is the construction of the bullet.
The velocities using NfB loading today can be faster than BP at the same or even lower pressures, but in a double that isn't very helpful for regulation. May be nice in a single, but with higher speed comes the need for bullets with better construction than lead although you can't really approach NE speeds safely anyway.
Today we have bullet choices far beyond the grease groove or paper patched lead bullets which these rifles originally fired.
Obviously, a tougher bullet will penetrate better than a softer bullet at the same speed.
A good friend's son recently shot an elephant with his .500 BPE rifle using CEB bullets (made to his barrel specs) and at BPE velocities ran the bullet through a rib, through the heart, and into the off leg. Ran about 50yds and piled up.
I doubt that a lead bullet is capable of doing that and I also doubt that the same bullet at 500fps faster velocity would have performed much differently.
That bullet is at one end of the spectrum of course (and ugly) but to my thinking, if our predecessors had similar bullet options, there would have been no need to use such high velocities which in turn required stronger bullets. I imagine that with the development of cordite and NC powders, the higher acheivable velocities required bullets which could perform better. Kind of a vicious cycle or the old which came first question.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

hunter_angler
.300 member

Reged: 24/03/10
Loc: Grand Marais, Michigan (home i...
Re: 45/70 Lever Action On Australian Water Buffalo. [Re: Huvius]
      #250656 - 18/07/14 11:44 PM

The old black powder .45-70-405 sure had a lot of big American bison on its conscience.

A lot depends on what rifle and load you are using. Most commercial modern +P .45-70 loadings are limited to a 2.55" OAL and pressures to work in the action of the Marlin 1895, the most popular .45-70 lever gun these days. Buffalo Bore has a load moving a 500 gr FMJ at 1625 FPS, which will do some damage. If you are going to use a Winchester 1886 or a deep-throated 1885 or Ruger No.1 and heavy bullets you can hand load longer, to about 2.85" (.45-90 length) in the '86, maybe more in the '85 and No. 1. Then you can get that same bullet moving over 300 FPS faster at the same pressure. With a 480 gr bullet loaded even hotter in the strong single shots you can reach .450 NE territory.

The Garrett controversy aside, tests by John Linebaugh and others have demonstrated time and time again that heavy, wide meplat flat-nosed bullets, at moderate, even revolver velocities, penetrate and cavitate extremely well. If anything is lacking, it's likely energy to transfer to the target. This is why I believe the .45-70 is always a great killer but not so great a one-shot stopper, at least in milder loadings. Per Ripp's comment though, if you are using a lever action the beauty is in fast follow-up shots without the gun ever leaving your shoulder. Not a bad thing when facing a charge by a moving beast with a bad attitude.

Just my $.02. Daryl S. knows a lot about loading this cartridge if he gets around to chiming in.

All the best.

--------------------
Semper Paratus

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 45/70 Lever Action On Australian Water Buffalo. [Re: hunter_angler]
      #250658 - 19/07/14 01:57 AM

tks for the accolade, hunter angler. Deserved or not, here is my opinion on this topic.

A short (2.55") loaded Marlin, with a 350gr. can reach 2,150fps to 2,200fps if loaded to it's maximum pressure range of 43,000psi. It will also do 2,000fps with a 400gr. Jacketed and possibly 2,000fps with a 450gr. bullet - if a cast bullet. Any of these can be softs or solids.

The Garret(I think it was) ammo - 400gr. JACKETED solid that Brian Pierce used on his cape buffalo only started at about 1,790fps'ish, I think, from the 22" bl. on his M1895.

My buddy's stainless Marlin Guide's Rifle, with it's 18 1/2" bl. runs 2,004fps with the 400gr. (Barnes Old Style) flat point jacketed. Speer's manual lists the exact load he used (49.0gr. RE#7) as 1,828fps with their 400gr. FP which is 176fps lower than my chronograph recorded the Barnes and Gord's chronograph registered 2,007fpe - which is why I double checked his rifle and loads on my own machine - I didn't believe it when first told about them, but he was correct. Yeah - it kicks - oh well, so does my .375.

If loaded to higher pressure in a bolt gun or one of the strong single shots, we're looking at a good 150 to 200fps higher speeds than what the Marlin can achieve - IF the appropriate powders are used. Factory ammo? - forget it. This is a handloading proposition only.

In a 24" Siamese Mauser, .45/70 I built up for a friend, we quite easily matched my .458 2" Mauser loads (22" bl.) - using exactly the same powder, charges and bullets (all jacketed). Note, you can do about 100fps higher speeds with cast bullets of the same weight, same loads.
2,300fps with 350gr.
2,150fps with 400gr.
2,060fps with 500gr.

We could have increased these loads, but they shot VERY accurately in his McGowen Bl. and he was happy with them. Loading experimentation done.

I also got 1,990fps with the 550gr. Lyman cast. Incidently, Elmer Keith told me over the phone that the heavy blunt Lyman bullet would be the one he'd take to Africa for my .458 2" and never feel undergunnned. He said,"Daryl, it will go through everything there. Just put it where it's needed"

One merely has to forget about all the love/hate relationships about the .45/70 on African or heavy Australian game and look at the ballistics only. What do the numbers say?

Compare those numbers to what we already know that works - will these ballistics work - damn right - as with any round, you just have to hit them right.

If you want more power, there's always the Custom Marlin's & Winchester 86's that are being converted to .50 Alaskan - the late Harold Johnson's favourite brown bear stopper. Heonly used a 450gr. bullet in that one and said that round never failed to exit from ANY angle shot. 1,800fps, seems to me - I have Kronfield's writeup on harold with that round and rifle. Even Harold's old loads in the .450 Alaskan M86 which he preferred before turning it into a .50 Alsakan, only just matched what today's Marlin .45/70 can do with the same bullets.

Look at the ballistics and forget about ctg. prejudice and/or personal reasons not related to these basic ballistics.

I will also add, that as far as my knowledge goes concerning the 'high speed' factory ammo available today - there is NONE (that I know of) that I would consider for my own hunting for Water or Cape buffalo. Sorry - I'll make my own thanks.

Will the standard .45/70 ammo match the old BPE .450 - yes - the 300gr. stuff does - 1,880fps. Handloads easily surpass it by leaps and bounds - yet, the .450 was considered to be quite sufficient when using black powder loads and heavier bullets - interesting. With those, it only matched the heavier .45 Cal Sharps loadings, which of course were famous for killing bison at incredible ranges.

In a modern higher pressure rifle like a Ruger #1, Browning SS or Siamese Mauser, a handloaded .45/70 will match current .458 Win Mag factory ammo - ie: 2,060fps with 500 to 510gr. bullets - that, I've done with 2 powders, H335 and IMR4320.

I actually used the same powder charges for all 3 bullet weights which shows there could be further improvements in 350 and 400gr. weights with slightly faster powders. I was more than happy with the ballistics I was already getting. Never shot a buffalo, American, African or Australia,n only moose - 2,290fps with 350gr. Hornady RN - killed 'em DRT- Dead Right There - works.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 45/70 Lever Action On Australian Water Buffalo. [Re: DarylS]
      #250660 - 19/07/14 03:04 AM

Quote:

With those, it only matched the heavier .45 Cal Sharps loadings, which of course were famous for killing bison at incredible ranges.

Not arguing, but looking for information.

Firstly, I thought I have read a lot of the bison hunting was actually done with .50 rifles not the .45/70? Comments?

Secondly, the comments obviously refer to historical accounts. Where were those historical accounts recorded?

The reason I ask the second, is for verification. Sometimes overtime historical fictions can be stated and repeated and become history over time. I have some skepticism about American West "historical" writings, as the "fictional history" writer and promoter was well and truly already alive in the late 1800's in the American West. When writing "biographies" of famous individuals, events etc.

Not claiming some things are true or false. When I studied history I was taught a very important lesson. Always question the origins of an account, the writer, his motives, his biases.

I have no doubt the .45/70 historically killed a lot of bison.

In modern times, some proponents have marched off to gleefully shoot their modern bison dead merely with the whiff of its modern smokeless powders and ... after several shots, it finally succumbed. Different results to what they expected. And they claim it was shot well.

Reading African accounts, as mentioned earlier, the old time guys weren't exactly "one shot" kill guys, writing about how many times they shot the giraffe or whatever, would shame many of us today.

From my own experience, I am convinced that unless fate is extremely kind, the one shot kill on a big beast requires a brain shot, or a neck spine shot. Even if the beast dies from one shot to the heart or above the heart, it still takes a while to die.

The old one shot instant bison kills accounts seem to me to be a fiction. Unless a bison is some soft creature which its reputation does not agree with.

Daryl,

Regarding the ballistics. I respect your knowledge and experience in these matters. But the velocities you mention always seem quite a bit higher than I have seen mentioned elsewhere by others. And I am talking about eg Ruger no.1 rifles etc.

Quote:

In a 24" Siamese Mauser, .45/70 I built up for a friend, we quite easily matched my .458 2" Mauser loads (22" bl.) - using exactly the same powder, charges and bullets (all jacketed). Note, you can do about 100fps higher speeds with cast bullets of the same weight, same loads.
2,300fps with 350gr.
2,150fps with 400gr.
2,060fps with 500gr.

What sort of powder charge was used to generate these velocities?

I would think those speeds are also on the higher side of a shortish barrel .458 Win Mag as well.

I have to have a play with a .45/70 case one day. It is such a TINY case in comparison to some others

I do have one, one of those Baikal side by sides, picked up second hand, which needs to be seriously tried out. Hoping your knowledge comes in handy to work that one out!
(obviously not using the loads for a Mauser)

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#250665 - 19/07/14 05:05 AM

I'll try to answer your query as best I can, John

As to the heavy bullet loads in the .450 BPE (or maybe it was factory BP 480gr. loads as well in a .577/450?) - John Taylor wrote of using them at one time, as well his Martini when his other rifles went swimming in a boating mishap.

I'd sure he did mention using heavier bullets in the .450BPE because the factory type 270 to 300gr. were not suitable for dangerous game. IIRC

As to the Sharps ctgs. and buffalo, one needs only read Frank Seller's book on the Sharps, along with Firearms of the American West, 1866 - 1894. Yes - there were many .45/70's used as that was the military round and ammo was available at any Fort on the frontier. Too - many more .50/70's were used by civilians after the .45/70 ctg. became the Army round.

There is some verification that the "Big .50" that Billy Dixon shot the Indian Chief with, at 1,535 yards, was actually a .50/70. Many books say it was the .50 2 1/2", however THAT round was not quite a year old at the time that Dixon made the shot. The jury is out on what exactly was used. Dixon said himself that it was a 'scratch'(lucky) shot.

Elmer Keith once said that hitting & killing at long range was accidental, but if you practiced shooting at long range, you'd have more long range accidents than someone who didn't. Of course, Elmer was talking about shooting handguns, but the same facts remain true to rifles as well.

The military Sharps and Rolling blocks were sold quite cheaply to 'settlers'. Factory Sharps and Rolling Blocks along with Ballard single shots were also popular in both .50/70 and .45/70. This is all common knowledge from History books as well as from Sellers book. Both books mentioned have copies of correspondence from the more literate hunters themselves to Sharps blowing eloquently their praises and of some shots made. Multiple letters spoke of the 370gr. .40 cal. as well as heavier bullet'd .45's killing more than one buffalo with one shot even at 300 to 400yards.

A 'number' of photographs from "The Day" show a single Sharps, sometimes a carbine, sometimes a longer barreled full stock both military guns, laying against the ribs of a dead buff or elk with numerous others dead on the ground within 50 or 60 yards, captioned mentioning how deadly these rifles were - were they dragged there with horses then all traces of that evidence removed before the photo was taken - doubt that. They rifles used were 50/70's as the .45/70 military rifles of the day were all Springfield's or Rolling Blocks.

At that time, the .45/70 load was only the 405gr. round nosed bullet with 55gr. or 70gr. rifle powder while the .50 ca. shot a rather pointy 450gr. both loaded with 70gr. There was a lighter 55gr. load for the .45/70 Springfield carbines due to complaints of too heavy recoil of the 405gr. and 70gr. in those lighter rifles.

This is intersting, as the .69 cal. muskets of 30years previous (up to 1955) used 135gr. rifle powder and a 400gr.round ball. Yeah- those soldiers complained as well. From the rEv. war until 1820, the musket load was 165gr. HA!

One of Gen. George Custer's favourite 'sporting' rifles for antelope, deer, elk and buffalo, was a .50/70 Springfield. Custer used to "wax-eloquent" about his shooting exploits, but a certain George Bird Grinnell who accompanied him on the 1874 Black Hills expedition, said "Custer did no shooting that was notable".

Yes - the .50's were popular but due to the prolific numbers of the .50/70 and .45/70's due to availability of ammo, the .50/70 probably reined as chief buffalo killer with the .45/70 being in second place. Many of the high money makers on the Plains, like Frank Meyer, used the long case .40's and .45's- ie: 2 3/4" and 2 7/8". Some even had Fruend (St. Louis gunmaker) re-chamber for the longer 3 1/4" case in both .50 and .45 calibres, however Sharps never chambered ANY rifle for a 3 1/4" case.

.45/70 issue loads - 70gr. rifle powder 405gr. RN- 1,320fps.- after 1800, increased bullet to 500gr., and a speed of from 1,250fps to 1,310fps.
.50-70 issue load - 450gr. 70g.r rifle powder, 1,240fps, I think it was.

My loads and those WE used in the .45/70 Siamese Mauser were:
68.0gr. H335 - 350, 400 and 500gr.
66.0gr. IMR4320 - 350, 400 and 500gr.

The H335 load used to make a ball of fire about 2' in diameter and when fired into the air at night, made a quite a display. closing ones eyes kept one from firing momentarily blinded.

The velocities were as noted - except I rounded the 350gr. speed from 2,290fps to 2,300fps. My rifle, with a 15" twist did not like 300gr. bullets driven above about 2,300fps, for some odd reason. I got keyholes when I drove them at 2,400fps using H4198 - yet 2,532fps is listed at only 46,700cup from a modern rifle barrel.

Note both these ctgs. allowed seating the bullet out, they were not restricted to 2.55" OAL, thus in comparrison, the chambers, useable powder capacity would make them the same as a 2.3" case.

A Hodgdon Annual Mannual (yes- a new one ever year) will show data for the low pressure guns, lever guns and modern guns, however their data only goes as high as 50,000psi in what they list as modern rifles. There is no reason I can see, for not exceeding that data - IN MY OWN RIFLES - as the .458 and other rounds with strong brass in that calibre are loaded higher - like the .458 mag.- to 57,000psi.

I am looking at modern .45/70 rifle data right now in Hodgdon's current book of 250gr. TSXgr. at 2,607fps- at only 44,607cup, 300gr. TTSX 2,445fps at 46,700CUP, 350gr. Hornady FTX at 2,378fps at 46,500CUP, 350gr. RNHorn at 2,300fps at 50,000CUP and 400gr. at 2,108fps at 49,100CUP.
They did not list the OPAL for these loads, but I assume they probably kept them to the same as the Marlin's 2.55". when you seat the bullets out, in comparison, you are effectively lengthening the case.

The lever gun Marlins in .458 Marlin and .45/70 are listed to 2,000fps with 400gr. in this manual, and 350gr. to 2,191fps to be exact- at 39,300 CUP.

I already know that a a Marlin .45/70 with an 18 1/2" bl. can run 2,004fps with a 400gr.

At safe pressures for the Baikal- listed as max at 32,000psi- which is also 32,000CUP, the numbers being the same at that level - apparently.

250gr. TSX - 2,118fps - 26,200psi
300gr. Sie. - 2,221fps - 27,600cup
325gr. FTX -- 1,958fps - 26,300cup
350gr. Horn - 2,022fps - 31,400cup
400gr. Spr. - 1,856fps - 29,600cup
400gr. Spr. - 1,915fps - 31,800cup - diff. powder.

I would be inclined to try Speer's loading data of RE#7 with the 350gr. bullets - from start to maximum. They state they held pressures to 28,000cup.

Note that the new 350gr. Speer bullet has a 1/16" (.0625") thick jacket and is designed for deep penetration in the .458 Mag. The single shots and Baikal can run that bullet seated at it's cannelure, which is too low for a lever gun (except in shortened 2" cases). They say it needs 1,900fps MV to expand - sounds like a marvelous big game bullet to me, for a first round .45/70 lever(in shortened cases) and modern rifles.

Due to the small nose size, I do not think I would stack them in the magazine, though, one in the chamber, one only in the mag. ie: 2 shots not stacked in the mag.

--------------------
Daryl

hunter_angler
.300 member

Reged: 24/03/10
Loc: Grand Marais, Michigan (home i...
      #250667 - 19/07/14 05:17 AM

Quote:

I have to have a play with a .45/70 case one day. It is such a TINY case in comparison to some others

The case may be short compared to others, but capacity is more than you might expect, depending on how far out you seat the bullet. Some interesting info here:

https://bigborefan.wordpress.com/tag/ruger-no-1-45-70-improved/

Also, as to the Old West bison hunting, keep in mind buffalo were shot from a safe distance of 200+ yards on the open plains, mortally wounded and allowed to slowly bleed to death in the hot sun before being tracked down and skinned. One-shot kills perhaps but not instantaneous, humane stops. The cape buffalo you shoot inside of 50 yards in Africa will likely eventually die from one shot as well, even if misplaced, but perhaps only after escaping into the jess bush, or worse running you over in the process LOL.

You guys have forgotten more about dangerous game hunting than I will ever know, but again, I think there is a big difference between killing and stopping. Accomplishing the latter with one shot requires a big wallop in the right place.

DarylS
.700 member

#250671 - 19/07/14 05:28 AM

.458 Winchester Mag.

SAAMI - max - 60,000psi CIP max - 62,000PSI
SAAMI - max - 53,000cup CIP max - 54,000cup

As to .458 - Hodgdon 2014 Annual Manual listed as 24".

300gr. 2,730fps @ 48,100cup
-------2,753fps @ 50,500cup
-------2,793fps @ 51,300cup

350gr. 2,496fps @ 38,700cup.
-------2,548fps @ 51,600cup.
-------2,563fps @ 49,800cup
-------2,589fps @ 49,400cup

400gr. 2,362fps @ 44,300cup
-------2,407fps @ 51,100cup
-------2,349fps @ 42,500cup

450gr. 2,235fps @ 48,300cup
-------2,220fps @ 48,200cup
-------2,220fps @ 51,000cup
-------2,005fps @ 43,000cup

500gr. 2,152fps @ 48,100cup
-------2,163fps @ 50,300cup
-------2,140fps @ 49,700cup
-------2,123fps @ 50,300cup

Incidentally, the 2014 Annual Manual has an article on the .500 Nitro Ex., by Bryce Towsley.

--------------------
Daryl

TOBY458
.300 member

#250673 - 19/07/14 05:32 AM

The original loads for the 450 nitro showed a 480 grain bullet at 2150fps. According to those in the know, most of the ammo back then ran closer to 2000fps. Even a marlin level load in a 45/70 shoots a 420gr bullet at 2000fps. So I doubt the extra 60 grains of bullet would make a huge difference on game. And to think that all of that power can be housed in a rifle weighing 7.5 pounds is something to think about. If I were faced with needing to make a fast follow up shot, other than a double, I can't think of anything better than a lever.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#250680 - 19/07/14 06:38 AM

Daryl, Thanks for the long replies!

Have read them once. Will re-read them. They say a lot and make sense.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Gaff
.224 member

Reged: 05/08/11
Loc: Darwin NT
      #250713 - 19/07/14 11:01 PM

Greghud, who is or was a member on here has shot quite a few with his marlin 45/70, load em up with good projectiles and they will do the job. Another bloke I know of has also shot a few using woodleigh hydros out of his Marlin

TOBY458
.300 member

Re: 45/70 Lever Action On Australian Water Buffalo. [Re: Gaff]
      #250732 - 20/07/14 04:18 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I've read that people have been getting great results with the Northfork bullets in this caliber as well. Looks like I need to just put some of this to the test.

spinna
.275 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Top End NT Australia
      #250740 - 20/07/14 09:31 AM

I've shot a handfull of buff with my Marlin 45-70 using the 405gr Woodleigh FP bullet, loaded to 1800+ fps. Mainly smaller animals for meat, and a few young bulls. It does a good job..Never shot an old, heavy bull with it, so can't comment on how it would go on a 700kg +++ beast..

Ripp
.577 member

#250743 - 20/07/14 11:07 AM

Quote:

Daryl, Thanks for the long replies!

Have read them once. Will re-read them. They say a lot and make sense.

Daryl,

You certainly are a WEALTH of information..thank you

Ripp

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#250757 - 20/07/14 05:53 PM

I've mentioned this on the forums before so may as do it another time.

When I hunted cape buffalo in the Matetsi Safari Area in Zimbabwe in 2002, there was an American client also hunting with HHK. I was hunted with Pierre van Wyk, and Nemba Safaris in the Gwayi Valley, but after we were thrown off Pierre's farm by 'warvets', HHK kindly agreed to let Pierre finalise the safari on their concession in the Matetsi.

The American client was from North Carolina I think, and was hunting buffalo and elephant among other game. He wanted to use his Marlin guide gun in .45/70 on cape buffalo and did so successfully with no hassles. He had extra heavy flat nosed hardened lead bullets. I forget how heavy but could guess.

He shot his elephant with a .500 Super Dooper Whatsit (ie I forget what it exactly was), but tested out the .45/70 on the dead elephants skull and the PH and client were satisfied with the penetration. I think it was in excess of one metre penetration.

Personally no interest in the .45/70 other than actually using it for brush hunting, pigs and the like. But like many cartridges, it can do what is required IF proper bullets and loads are used, and the right shots are picked. Like a lot of other cartridges can also do.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (16/08/14 04:43 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9826

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com