Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Trip to Victoria

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Trip to Victoria
      #184375 - 22/06/11 08:24 PM

As many here know I went for a drive around parts of Victoria last month and early June.

Attended the SSAA SHOT Show and met some of the guys there. Alex Beer, the Shooters and Fishers Party's Bob Borsak, Roger Vardy, the Woodleigh boys, and some others. Missed out on many booths as I was only there for Sunday afternoon. Was disappointed not to visit the Trijicon and Lightforce stands for example. No pics unfortunately.

My plan was to spend some time in Melbourne, hopefully pick up some barrels for my Mauser M03 sitting at Mialls. Nothing else I wanted was in stock either. Bought some other stuff I needed. For example I was hoping to get some replacement Scarpa or Meindl boots, but found out NO ONE stocks Meindl in Melbourne anymore. Seems one needs to drive to Gippsland, or buy from them mail order. I really dislike buying boots mail order, and demand a full money back guarantee if I don't like them if buying mail order. Really Meindl needs to find a good Australian distributor. Got some other stuff I needed which was good.

The rest of my trip was a desire to visit Bruce Bertram in Seymour, then a couple days hunting with Gryphon, then visits to Roger Vardy near Myrtleford, and lastly over to visit Woodleigh near Swan Hill in the West.

Visited Bruce and had a short tour and a good talk. Arranged for Bruce to put a rather large and complicated order for me, which would take a couple days, so arranged to come back a few days later to pick it all up. Will post some photos on the Bertram trip in a later post.

Next was the hunt and visit to Gryphon.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Trip to Victoria [Re: NitroX]
      #184379 - 22/06/11 09:08 PM

Gryphon has invited me to visit several times and years ago, but finally arranged a visit.

Gryph was as expected welcoming and very hospitable, and told me we would have to watch the fog in the mornings as some of the areas he hoped to hunt were difficult if the morning was foggy.

BTW I had encountered fog on the drive over to Victoria in Western Victoria near Horsham, Ararat etc, and end up with less than 20 metres visibility. I was driving over over night and in the early morning the road was pretty empty on a Saturday night/Sunday morning, which was lucky.

The morning was foggy so Gryph decided we would hunt a secret spot elsewhere which was higher without the foggy river bottoms. Parking the car on the side of a track we moved into the forest and aimed to cut down towards a river. Gryph asked me to walk closer to the river bottom down the slope, keeping a eye on the other slope for deer, while he walk a higher fenceline area. Some parts of this creek/river were very nice to see. A couple of times he arranged a strategy to see if any deer in an area could be flushed towards where I was hunting. at times found very fresh tracks from that night or morning but didn't spot any deer.

Later in the morning I hit some thick brambles areas and had no choice except to move continually straight up the slope as any game trails seemed just to go up and down the slope. Hit the expected fence line and thought Gryph must be further along in front of me somewhere, so getting around the brambles area headed back down the slope. Followed some fresh tracks which led into a steep and interesting gully, climbed through that and looked around and continued.

Continued but wondered where Gryph was, as had spotted him for quite a long time, thought eventually might spot him again. Found some ribbons on trees, including ones which looked like official forestry ones. Some earlier ones led to a stand of cyclads, a hidden stand prehistoric cyclads perhaps? No idea. Then the strangest thing. Found a little tin roofed shelter with a park bench and a small bird bath. A track behind. Decided to have a rest and blow a whistle a few times to see if I could contact Gryph, but he was obviously out of earshot.

Followed a track behind to a house or building but decided not to approach it closely. Decided to try to follow the fenceline back towards where we had started. Continued along and found another two shacks.

Near this area, spotted a spiker sambar stag moving off through the forest at a trot with another deer in front of him, which I had never seen. Tried to follow them up and get a shot, but didn't spot them again, and lost their tracks. So success of sorts. Had spotted two deer on the first morning.

Now realised somehow I had got turned around. Continued in the direction I though was the right way, but the land looked quite different to expected. Continued along for a fair distance. Found another vehicle track and decided to follow it, and it led back to the third shack. Decided to fill up the camelback with a couple more litres from a tank, just in case. I also carry an EPIRB in case of emergencies, also a jet stream fire lighter, matches, emergency food, etc. Usually have a small first aid kit, space blanket etc but not on this day.

Set off through the bush, but decided as I wasn't sure of the direction anymore, to head back to the shack and follow the track back out to a road, and walk the long way around if necessary. At the worst I would need to camp on a roadside that night rather than lost in the bush.

The track was a couple of kms to the road, then set off along the road to find the vehicle. What I did not realise, was this road was on the far side of the hunting area and not the same road. I did think it seemed the wrong direction but did not know how the road would bend or any intersections.

My main problem was I had no conception of the lay of the land, rivers, roads, etc not having seen a map of the secret spot. Nor a GPS. Gryph had told me a story the night before of how a friend GPSed one of his secret spots and never would he be taken to one again. I took it as a message to me, but evidently was mistaken as it was not intended that way. Nevertheless decided the vehicle would be GPSed the next hunt.

Walked the road through a reserve and eventually to some farm lands. Unfortunately the grazing land expected was on the wrong side of the road. Found a farm at an intersection. But obviously the car was in the opposite direction! FFFF me! I would have to walk back and off in the opposite direction. Other than tired legs, it wasn't an unpleasant walk.

Now during this time, I had heard a shot or two, way off in the distance, but if they were signal shots, wondered if I fired would Gryph leave the vehicle, where I hoped he would be, and head off in the forest, while I was walking around to him on the road. Decided not to shoot a reply shot, and instead hope he stayed at the vehicle.

Found the tracks to the shacks again and decided to check the others out. One was some sort of greenie/nature camp but no one seemed to be there. There was a caravan there. The other two seemed to be hunters shacks or weekenders in the bush.

After a long walk, and a road intersection or two, and during quite a big cirlce, saw Gryph driving towards me. The vehicle parking spot was further down the hill. The road I had walked back on was further along the road opposite to the direction we had driven in on, so unfamiliar. JG had been waiting for about 3 hours, but it was only early afternoon at this point of time.

Back to JG's house for some lunch.

In the evening we went to a short drive to check out some valleys with binoculars and see the place.

Even given some minor drama with getting 'turned around', seeing a couple of sambar was a success.

Next morning another hunt in another place subject to any fog. The GPS would get used the next day, and JG also drew a mud map of the hunting area. All good ideas.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#184380 - 22/06/11 09:38 PM

The next morning did not seem too foggy so we set off for the planned area some drive away.

This area had a road on a ridge. We would walk down into the valley, hunt along it and when hitting a fenceline, walk back up to the track and back to the vehicle.

I found going down the slope somewhat difficult as not used to mountain hunts, slipping and sliding a bit in the dark and not wanting to twist an ankle or worse. Logs in the ferns or undergrowth are always fun, and better to feel for, than fall over.

Down towards the valley bottom, JG informed me, he would head down to the bottom, and push through it, while I shoudl stay higher on the slope, look for flushed deer and deer on the opposite slope.

I lost sight of JG at one point, and realised some of the undergrowth on the valley bottom was taller than it looked, so after what seemed the right amount of time started hunting along the slope. Spotted JG after a while down on the bottom on the other side of the creek bottom.

Looking up the slope from the wallow.

Various gullies to cross, of various difficulties, spotted some very fresh tracks in one of the hardest to get through, not deer spotted. As usual skippies bounded off in the bush, potentially scaring anything in front away. Sometimes stalked to within a few metres of the skippies. Too many of them.

Spotted JG sitting in the valley but a thick stand of brambles were in between so decided to have a drink break on the slope while he had breakfast where he was.

Further along we joined up and he indicated a wallow. Had a look at it and took some pictures.

Started up the walk back up the slope, keeping an eye out for sambar that might be higher up the gullies. Damn I need to walk in hilly areas more. I can walk all day on flatter land but slopes always kill me. I want to hunt in Vic somewhere again next year, but need to do some work first. Maybe a third down from the top, JG wondered what something was, said it looked a bit like fur or hide. Using the binoculars, yes it could be, but not sure. JG decided to walk along the slope, I decided to head up to the track.

JG may have been right, or at least several gullies over, spotted a hind and managed to shoot it for meat. Then set off towards the vehicle. We had agreed to mark where we came out on the road, and I found his mark. Later meeting up we headed back in the Hilux to recover his deer.

JG headed off in front of me, I fiddled with something, I forget, then headed down, and spotted JG in the gully bottom. He was still looking for the deer, but by lucky chance it was right in front of me, slightly down the slope.

The hind wdged uder a log from where it was shot. JG moves up from below in the gully. The hind was shot from the opposite slope.

The hind was pregnant, and the feotus quite well developed.

Cut up, back in the vehicle we headed home.

That afternoon we sat in another spot overlooking a wallow where JG believes a big boy frequents. The agreement was he had rights to the big boy if it came out, but I was to shoot anything else which might appear. The dog along indicated he could smell or hear something at times. I think I heard an antler once hit a rub tree, but by dark we had seen nothing.

Nevertheless a successful couple of days. A couple of deer spotted by me. A hind for meat taken by JG.

JG was off somewhere the next day, but offered to let me stay. I decided I would head up in the Myrtleford direction and visit some places I wanted to see on the way.

Thanks to Gryphon for the invitation and also on the information I learned while hunting with him. I last hunted sambar deer in 1986 so twenty five years ago, with a friend from SA, both complete newchums. We hunted the Big River area, and I think I spotted the rear half of a sambar running though thick bush. I set myself a target of a hunt every year ... So it was good to finally have a go again and hunt with an experienced sambar hunter. JG was a very hospitable host and again thanks for the opportunity.

Hopefully one day again!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#184383 - 22/06/11 09:52 PM

The next day I decided to go for a scenic mountain drive in the direction I wanted to go.

During the drive took a detour and on the way back, in the corner of my eye spotted what I thought was a deer shape. Thought it couldn't be, it must be an alpaca, but wtf, I was on no schedule, did a U turn and came back. DEFINTELY deer and grazing in a paddock with some sheep.

Did another U turn some distance away and parked on the side of the road near the deer. They were looking at me, I guessed they would run off soon. And of course, my short lens was on the camera, so had to swap for the long lens. If as usual they would run as soon as I exited the far side of the car, and at the back of the Landcruiser, took a photo.

Pushing my luck and moving away from the Landcruiser, the deer honked at me, and ran off a short distance.

The main group of sambar honked me and ran off, but only maybe another 50 or 60 metres. Meanwhile another young male just looked at me, and unbelieveably started feeding again. I don't think he is long for this world, and will soon be in someone's freezer. And if this close to a road, maybe one of these illegal scumbag spotlighers that infect the region.

Took some photos. Then decided to risk crossing a small stream, the high grass to use a fence post as a rest. The male just kept feeding! Across the flock of sheep were four or so deer, in the distance another one.

Unbelievable photo opportunity. In a park like location. But the sheep paddock definitely just had normal sheep fences. I myself had to double check!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
      #184384 - 22/06/11 10:17 PM

Very nice photos mate. I note the pre-orbitals in the last.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Trip to Victoria [Re: kamilaroi]
      #184386 - 23/06/11 12:09 AM

Yes - nice photo's. Thank you. Talked to Gryph about a trip to Australia - some time. Well, maybe sometime.

I really 'picked up' seeing the jackets and sweaters - perhaps I could stand the 'heat' during your winter. It looks absolutely perfect for a walk.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Trip to Victoria [Re: DarylS]
      #184388 - 23/06/11 12:17 AM

Below freezing in some parts when I was there. Snow falls only a few days later, and below freezing temps over a large part of the mountainous country.

But compared to frozen Northern North America, yep, a lot warmer. Still can die at night if lost, and not enough clothing or can't start a fire. A man was lost near Mansfield deer hunting and not found recently. The search was eventually given up. Snowfalls. They hope to find him when the snow melts after winter.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#184390 - 23/06/11 12:30 AM

Some close ups of the deer.

And no these are not deer farm deer, they are wild deer.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
      #184414 - 23/06/11 07:24 AM

Good luck in your sambar quest! Nice photos, too.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Trip to Victoria [Re: Ben]
      #184415 - 23/06/11 08:19 AM

Bloody amazing John for you to have walked all over the bush for a few days and even sat in one of the super secret spots for only a few glimpses and here are the deer in the pics you have feeding by the road. Knowing where they are I imagine they are well protected from the road shooter`s etc.

I cant express enough how so many sambar hunters have never seen such a sight,many sambar hunters often dont even see a deer anywhere,true!

To clarify "The agreement was he had rights to the big boy if it came out"
I took John into the place I have seen a thumper and have spent several years hunting him and those years being of enormous amounts of time..one period last year was 87 afternoons till dark rain or shine out of 90 days and just about every other week being out at least 6 arvos and many many mornings in the quest for the 'big un' This year is no different.
John could have had any other stag if it had showed up and here is a pic of one such stag that isnt a monster but he would look very bloody good on JH`s wall if he had of walked out. Especially for a non Victorian to come over and take home.There was no such limitation as to the other top spots we hunted,whatever jumped was his.
This pic was taken by my game cam only a few hundred yards from where we sat in a patch of high fern and dates to a week earlier than Johns trip over.He`s "about" the place and will only grow bigger.He is fresh out of his wallow as the cam has snapped him.
I wont shoot him ,perhaps JH will next year?

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Trip to Victoria [Re: gryphon]
      #184417 - 23/06/11 08:44 AM

Good write up John, excellent photos.

Rono
.224 member

Reged: 28/05/08
Loc: Eastern Vic
Re: Trip to Victoria [Re: 500Nitro]
      #184422 - 23/06/11 09:27 AM

Great write up mate and some great pics to

blacks
.275 member

Reged: 17/03/11
Loc: South-East South Australia
Re: Trip to Victoria [Re: Rono]
      #184428 - 23/06/11 01:08 PM

Great stuff JH & JG!!

Lovely photos too, looking forward to getting over there in August.

blacks

--------------------
You won't shoot anything at home on the couch...

TOP_PREDATOR
.224 member

Reged: 03/05/06
Loc: British colony of New Zealand
Re: Trip to Victoria [Re: blacks]
      #184440 - 23/06/11 06:24 PM

John you can order Meindl boots online from England for about half the price they cost in shops here.

--------------------
"I have carried out my official duties as long and faithfully as i can,and for the rest I have lived in such a fashion as seemed most agreeable to me...convinced that a good day's shooting is second in point of pleasure to nothing else on earth."

Lord Warwick

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: Trip to Victoria [Re: TOP_PREDATOR]
      #184441 - 23/06/11 06:28 PM

I really like the photo's John.

Pity you didn't get your Sambar mate but that's hunting hey !!.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Trip to Victoria [Re: FATBOY404]
      #184498 - 24/06/11 04:54 PM

Quote:

I really like the photo's John.

Pity you didn't get your Sambar mate but that's hunting hey !!.

Yes I was just pleased to spot a couple of this trip when hunting.

And also to finally meet JG, share a beer and some wine and food.

Finding about six or seven sambar in a sheep paddock and photographing them from the road was a HUGE bonus.

Now if there was a large antlered stag among them, the photos would have been GREAT, but the sick feeling that he got away too to counter it. Luckily I don't have that problem.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#184499 - 24/06/11 05:00 PM

REVOLUTION IN SEYMOUR!

Never thought to see this in an Aussie town! It seems the locals had had enough of Gillard, Brown and their carbon tax on breathing air, and rose up in revolt! A Leopard tank stands near the road crossing guarding it.

However I would be more worried if I was McDonalds!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

kamilaroi
.400 member

#184500 - 24/06/11 05:05 PM

Typical gourmand's response. (chortle)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#184505 - 24/06/11 07:34 PM

Some more.

As detailed on a sign by the tank:
In 1977, the Leopard AS1 Main Battle Tank enteret service with the Royal Australian Armoured Corps as a replacement for the Centurion Tank. One hundred and three tanks were purchased, comprising 90 Main Battle Tanks, five bridge layers, and eight armoured recovery vehicles. This allowed equipping of a full regular armoured regiment, a training school complement, vehicles for technical training of maintenance personnel and also a pool for exchange and repair.

The vehical was powered by a diesel engine developing 850 hp, with an automatic gearbox with four forward and two reverse gears. The power pack is a tropical version allowing operation to 50 deg C temperatures. Speeds of up to 62 kmph were possible.

The turret was constructed of fully welded spaced armout, providing increased protection levels of the orgiginal cast turret. A British designed 105 mm L7A3 gun with thermal jacket and fume extractor was the main armaament. Two 7.62mm machine gyns were carried, one co-axial with the main armament, the other mounted on a rood cupola.

In 1995 the !st Armoured Regiment moved from Puckapunyal in Victoria to Palmerston, East of Darwin. In July 2007 the Leopard tanks were withdrawn from service, and replaced with the Abrrams M1A1 Main Battle Tank.

Emblem of the 1st Armoured Regiment.

The Panther emblem.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#184506 - 24/06/11 07:45 PM

Quote:

Typical gourmand's response. (chortle)

The slow slow food battle continues!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

GK
.300 member

Reged: 29/10/09
Loc: Adelaide
      #184511 - 24/06/11 09:20 PM

I remember when all the Leopard tanks we had in Vic (around 70 odd)did a final parade down Swanston Street in Melbourne.

Although modest by overseas millitary parade standards, I thought it was a truly awesome display and for me it was a very patriotic moment. I'll never forget how great they sounded.

George

kamilaroi
.400 member

Re: Trip to Victoria [Re: GK]
      #184512 - 24/06/11 09:57 PM

Ah yes the Abrams MBT debacle wherein many bridges within the presumed AoO are incapable of bearing their weight (flogged off as "capable and compatible" refurbished superceded rubbish by the US). As a result we get an extra airlift thingo to offset the reality of more C17s that are proven as more air capable for remote strips.

blacks
.275 member

Reged: 17/03/11
Loc: South-East South Australia
      #184522 - 25/06/11 12:12 AM

JH, You like Leopard tanks? I shall have to show you the one the RSL has just restored and displayed here in Mount Gambier when you're down.

blacks

--------------------
You won't shoot anything at home on the couch...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10734

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com