lancaster
(.470 member)
19/02/15 08:59 PM
the Heckler&Koch

must confess my opinion about the Heckler&Koch SL 770 have change over the time. maybe 20 years ago I hate this self loading rifle but now I am not sure anymore.
this one with a another pistol grip cap and a classic butt plate will be worthy a discussion.

http://egun.de/market/item.php?id=5317033&PHPSESSID=478ea3447b85e5a71a4fb4e1d52c662f#img

most times in live its not the gun but the ugly clothes

Ash
(.400 member)
25/02/15 10:28 PM
Re: the Heckler&Koch

Agree, don't like the pistol grip, and could do with a bit more barrel length (kinda reminds me of a Rival). Apart from those, i'd own it!

But would take a Winchester M1910 first

Rell
(.375 member)
26/02/15 03:30 AM

I used to hate auto loading rifles. Inaccurate, heavy, poorly balanced and just a touch ugly.

I bought a 1963 vintage Ruger Autoloader with the Mannlicher stock in 44 rem mag. Topped with a fixed Leupold 2.5x it is a joy inside 100 yards. In a carbine the 44 mag is a totally different beast then a revolver, mild mannered and lot's of punch. The only animals I've taken with it a few smallish black bears, 150-225lbs, I don't know that I needed a fat second shot but I took one each of the three times just because I could.

Norman4
(.300 member)
26/02/15 04:30 AM

I've come around on auto-loaders. I used to look down my nose at them because of some sloppy hunting practices that they can promulgate. But that's the hunter, not the gun. If well made, and H-Ks are, and used like a rifle instead of a weapon of mass destruction, (that is "spray and pray"), than they have some attraction. They are popular up here in our heavy cover forest on running game. Some are exceptionally accurate out to 300 yards. I guess it all comes down to, a quality rifle is a quality rifle. Personally, your H-K looks good to me. Thanks for sharing. Norman4

lancaster
(.470 member)
26/02/15 06:18 PM

spray and pray is a problem, that's the reason high capacity magazine's are forbidden for hunting in many countrys. I am not a friend of legal regulation but this have some reason's.
my main problem with self loading rifles was allways the aestheticism I have.

John303
(.300 member)
04/03/15 01:12 AM

I've always had a 22 auto (Marlin / Mossberg) and still have one, a Weatherby of all things. Growing up poor I never sprayed & prayed - too expensive. Nice rifle you have Lancaster although I'm not familiar with the maker. --- John

lancaster
(.470 member)
04/03/15 07:30 AM

heaven no, if I had every gun post pics here I had to live in the garage because there were no place in the house

interesting you dont know Heckler&Koch

tinker
(.416 member)
04/03/15 07:36 AM

20+ years ago I had the .22mag model from that series of H&K sporting rifles.
The H&K 300
It was very very accurate.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
04/03/15 09:13 PM

The stock on that rifle is longer than the factory stock. I think the shorter stock looks nicer.

I remember reading an article on the H&K model pictured when we could still buy these sorts of rifles. The ejection was very positive and strong, the the necks of the brass was often dented from striking the ejection port on the way out. The rifle tested was allegedly quite accurate. I think the rifle was quite heavy.

Norman4
(.300 member)
05/03/15 10:11 AM

Quote:

The stock on that rifle is longer than the factory stock. I think the shorter stock looks nicer.

I remember reading an article on the H&K model pictured when we could still buy these sorts of rifles. The ejection was very positive and strong, the the necks of the brass was often dented from striking the ejection port on the way out. The rifle tested was allegedly quite accurate. I think the rifle was quite heavy.

The stock pictured is unusual for anything I've seen here in the US, but it's nicely done. HKs are noted for being rough on brass, these sporters were no exception. I've seen some pretty badly mauled brass. Reloading for them was, well, challenging? As I remember, they recoiled with some authority. Never saw one jam though. Even in winter. They did have better accuracy than the 91/93 military styled rifles.

lancaster
(.470 member)
05/03/15 03:21 PM

the stock was custom made

Contact Us NitroExpress.com