mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
11/03/12 11:51 AM
H&H Royal Shotgun Pair Engraved by Roland Baptiste

My friend Roland Baptiste in Belgum is an engraver for Holland and Holland and he recently worked on this pair of Royal Shotguns.

I thought I'd post these pictures of one gun from the pair in the "Classic Firearms" archives because I can't think of many guns that would fit the "Classsic" description like a Holland and Holland.

Happy viewing and good hunting!

500Nitro
(.450 member)
11/03/12 12:01 PM
Re: H&H Royal Shotgun Pair Engraved by Roland Baptiste

That is superb.

Absolutely superb, classic in every sense.

MaxGera
(.275 member)
11/03/12 12:42 PM

That is some fabulous classic engraving. Do you have any information on how many hours it took?

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
11/03/12 01:21 PM

Max,

I have no idea how much time it took Roland to engrave the gun. I have written to Roland and sent him a link to this post. He is a member here and he should respond either tomorrow, or on Monday. I am personally incapable of any embellishment more than stick drawings and that is why I don't even dare speculate on how long it took to accomplish work like this.

Good hunting!

kamilaroi
(.400 member)
11/03/12 02:32 PM

Very fine work and a "cut above" the usual Herstal style.

tinker
(.416 member)
11/03/12 03:08 PM

I wish I had time to spend in his studio.
Maybe one day when the kids are a bit older I can get over there for a week or two.

rolandbaptiste
(.275 member)
11/03/12 05:49 PM

Hi all.
Thanks for yours comments and to have post this thread.
For the time!!!!! I never calculate it.
The price is give to the customer before I begin the work. I can start following a customer budget and I draw a design with more or less complexity but never less quality.
I pass few month for one work but I have passed some long years to be able to do it ;-)

lancaster
(.470 member)
11/03/12 06:58 PM

excellent work Roland

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
11/03/12 07:27 PM

Lovely, best

kamilaroi
(.400 member)
11/03/12 07:52 PM

Quote:

Hi all.
Thanks for yours comments and to have post this thread.
For the time!!!!! I never calculate it.
The price is give to the customer before I begin the work. I can start following a customer budget and I draw a design with more or less complexity but never less quality.
I pass few month for one work but I have passed some long years to be able to do it ;-)

And there lies the complexity of the graveur's art, to initially provide conceptual drawings of the work in all of its complexity and state that there are less visible areas and "issues of execution" that are largely unappreciated by the herd. Therefore let the client decide.

Rolande, might I suggest that you are an artisan rather than a tradesman and on that premise that you adjust your prices accordingly as there are supremely exceptional areas of work and then there are areas that are quality work.

Just a thought.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com