vykkagur
(.300 member)
13/02/20 07:23 AM
Pair of Rook Rifles

This pair is currently up for sale:

https://flickr.com/photos/146168803@N08/31331367581/in/album-72157677374235426/

Interesting contrast to the fine craftsmanship of the gunmakers we usually see posted here. These are very much working rifles, and pretty utilitarian. It's a pity that someone appears to have tried to refinish one of them, which surely hurts the collector value. I don't know what to think of the mis-matched and poor quality checkering; I can't believe this was put out by the makers, even on a utility grade set such as this. I'm thinking this was done later, by someone who wanted to try his hand at DIY gunsmithing.

Perhaps someone better at this than I would like to put the actual photos on here, to make it easier for everyone to view.

TH44
(.375 member)
13/02/20 10:19 AM
Re: Pair of Rook Rifles

Sorry I cannot copy Flickr

Many owners and dealers think the buffing wheel is the answer to surface pitting and loss of original finish

All of these sidelever Rook Rifles and .410 shotguns, whoever's name is on them - Purdey, H&H, WR, etc., were made in the Birmingham Trade with various standards of finish.
Whether the retailer even put their own name is arguable but some are finished to a good standard, especially the "higher quality" retailers
They are interesting in their own right and part of shooting history so enjoy them if they are yours enjoy them

TH44

vykkagur
(.300 member)
13/02/20 12:08 PM

Believe me, I would enjoy them if they were mine, but they're not. These are currently up for sale and I got the link from the advertisement. I just find them very interesting.

Huvius
(.416 member)
13/02/20 12:09 PM

True. I have a little cased Holland and Holland side lever that was bored out to 410 which isn’t all that bad except the octagon barrel was turned round out past the forend.
If the barrel was left octagon one could at least line it to something useful but now lining it to a rifle again would just be weird.

Wayne59
(.400 member)
14/02/20 11:13 AM

I have to of them, both Holand and Holand. One is a round action. Both are 360 rook. The round action was relined from 295 to 360.

Huvius
(.416 member)
14/02/20 11:48 AM

Here's the pair of Rooks from the OP.
I must say, the cased setup is pretty swift!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com