DoubleD
(.400 member)
03/12/19 02:25 PM
577/500 #2 Express what range to zero?

I have built a new front sight for my Greener Martini 577/500 No.2 Express.

I am ready to file the sight in. Today I shot three rounds, 6 o'clock point of aim front sight level wit the top of the at 100 yards. They were 5 inches low. Low was as hopped for.

First thing I learned is this project need to wait until after my cataract surgery in January. I can't see sights or target clear enough.

Second I got to wondering if for this gun and cartridge if I might be better off setting sight zero at 50 yards.

Comments please, 50 yards zero or 100 yards.

Huvius
(.416 member)
03/12/19 03:16 PM
Re: 577/500 #2 Express what range to zero?

I would go for a 100yd zero.
Interestingly, I just took a look at four 500 No.2 rifles I have (Turner double, Field single and two Westley 1869/71 variants) and not one of them has a standing sight marked for any distance!
The Turner has a '2' on the first folding leaf which is not much taller than the standing sight so I'm guessing the fixed sight is for 100yds.

DoubleD
(.400 member)
03/12/19 11:21 PM

That's my problem, my sight leafs (leaves) are marked.

As you can see in the past someone has filed out the 100 yard standing leaf to make it unusable. I am having to convert the 200 yd leaf to 100.

I don't know what sight the gun originally had. I suspect that it had one of the old long sights with multiple blades and a flip up ladder.

I think this shorter sight I have now was/is a replacement.

I had consider replacing the rear sight with one of those old long sights or just welding up the standing leaf and re cutting it it. I have also considered just cutting down the 200 flip leaf to 100 yard height.

I have been obsessing over this issue for a couple of years, its coming down to the wire now. After cataract surgery I will test fire again when I can see. That should give me better numbers to determine how much metal I have to remove. Then I can decide if it will be the front sight or the rear sight I cut.

I have been thinking about another farm field moose hunt, and this is the gun for that.

We are headed out for a 4 day whitetail deer hunt tomorrow. The out fitter said they have been seeing pigs. I might bring this gun to try if we fill deer tags early.

lancaster
(.470 member)
04/12/19 02:33 AM

I have no experience with this cartridge but zero at 100 yards seems natural to me

DarylS
(.700 member)
04/12/19 05:04 AM

By the looks of it, the original sight was indeed a multi-leaf and ladder arrangement.

By the sound of your test above, the 200yard leaf sounds about zero'd for 100yards with your current load.

Quote:

"Today I shot three rounds, 6 o'clock point of aim front sight level wit the top of the at 100 yards."

93x64mm
(.416 member)
04/12/19 07:12 AM

Well DD the previous owner certainly did a job on the 100yard sight!
To me it doesn't look like the original full leaves & ladder sight that could have been on it; however the sight you have now is certainly been on there a VERY long time as it's patina seems to match the rest of the rifle.
No wonder you have agonised over this!
If you could get an original replacement with ladder it would be the ultimate replacement, but in my humble opinion I would only repair the existing (100 yard) sight if you could get it browned close to the original patina; otherwise just use the 200 yard sight & file the 'new' front sight (if you have to)like Daryl has suggested to use as your basic hunting sight - zeroed for 100yards.
Hope the eye ops & hunt goes well mate - wonderful old piece you have there & cartridge too!
It'll take anything that your country has to offer.

Huvius
(.416 member)
04/12/19 04:24 PM

From rifles I’ve had, rear sights with that treatment were for use with a peep sight or maybe useful in conjunction with a Beach style front sight.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com