Huvius
(.416 member)
26/12/18 08:14 AM
Alexander Henry Falling Block 500BPE

I was very happy to have won this rifle at a recent auction.
My 500BPE Alex Henry double has been superb and I have been on the lookout for a single shot 500. In fact, I’ve been a bit crazy for Alex Henry patent falling blocks for the last few years as they are just so fine in every respect. Perfection in a hammer single IMO.
Anyway, the auction described it as “period refinished”. That didn’t bother me at the price I was bidding.
Well, it could be period refinished but IMO, it could very well be in its original finish - not sure how to tell actually and in hand I can’t think it matters to me at all!
Perfect balance, wonderful condition and a beautiful bore!
What a great rifle!!

85lc
(.375 member)
26/12/18 08:25 AM
Re: Alexander Henry Falling Block 500BPE

Beautiful rifle. Did you win this on Rock Island? There was a very nice looking 500 BPE on RIA recently. I thought about bidding but thought it would sell for more funds than I had available (Also my boss "strongly suggested" I sell before I buy.)

tinker
(.416 member)
26/12/18 09:21 AM

Very nice!

Huvius
(.416 member)
26/12/18 09:55 AM

Yes, that’s the one.
I’ve had good luck buying at their main auctions although I’ve heard of some very unhappy buyers as well.
I think I did just fine on this rifle. Very pleased with it and can’t wait to get it out to the range.

DarylS
(.700 member)
26/12/18 11:49 AM

Exceptional, Huvius. What a score!

Be VERY careful how you box it up
for my testing. I wouldn't want any
unforseen damage to occur in shipment.
I expect it may take upwards of a full year's testing, but I'll have her singing a beautiful song - your choice, GOEX, OLD ENISFORD, OR SWISS powders. Don't forget to throw in the dies and brass. I have a few moulds that will likely work already.

450_Ackley
(.375 member)
26/12/18 07:15 PM

Huvius,
That is indeed a beautiful rifle, keep us informed of how it shoots for you, and with what load.

DC

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
27/12/18 12:29 AM

That's a lovely rifle. You are going to really enjoy it!

Curl

HistoricBore
(.300 member)
27/12/18 03:28 AM

I used not to be sure, but now I DO believe in Santa Claus!

Let us know how you get on with it once the snow melts...

HB

416rigby
(.300 member)
27/12/18 07:08 AM

To this guy's eye, the most elegant rifles ever built. Wish I could afford one. Congratulations on a beauty!

93x64mm
(.416 member)
27/12/18 08:31 AM

Quote:

Huvius,
That is indeed a beautiful rifle, keep us informed of how it shoots for you, and with what load.

DC

That is indeed a superb piece of kit you have there!!!
Let us know how you go, there are a few of us on the other side of the pond that load this cartridge for BP Express competitions - always nice to hear what someone else has tried!

Iowa_303s
(.400 member)
27/12/18 08:36 AM

That is a wonderful rifle!
Really like the old single shot rifles.

rigbymauser
(.400 member)
29/01/19 03:21 AM

Beautiful rifle. Rare to see them in other caliber than .450ex and .360ex.

Huvius
(.416 member)
29/01/19 11:58 AM

I’m hoping to get this rifle out to see how she does soon.
Seems like weather and opportunity are rarely coinciding lately.
I cast and patched some 450gr bullets I use in my Turner 500 No.2 that I expect will shoot well in this rifle.
Also have another 500 3” BPE that I need to get out but I think will need a lighter bullet to regulate.
It’s a double J.V. Needham with a way lazy twist - like one in sixty.
Don’t even know where to start with that one...

Huvius
(.416 member)
29/01/19 12:03 PM

Quote:

Beautiful rifle. Rare to see them in other caliber than .450ex and .360ex.

That’s exactly why I was so interested in this rifle!
450s are great and all but a 500bpe single is a perfect balance of power and usability. Sort of why so many muzzle loading folks start out with 54cal rifles.

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
29/01/19 02:10 PM

beautiful rifle.

I have a .500 3" BPE Alex Henry double with clean damascus tubes and Henry rifling. I'm in need of ammo for it and don't cast bullets myself.

Huvius
(.416 member)
30/01/19 03:41 AM

Bailey, I have used 440gr grease groove bullets in my 500 Henry double from a Lyman 515141 mold.
The bullets are supposed to be 425gr but mine are closer to 440.
110grs of Old Eynsford 1-1/2 shoots well with this bullet.
I bet they can be found on gunbroker but I will probably be casting some in a month or two when the weather warms.
The paper patched bullets I haven’t tried in that particular rifle but I would expect similar performance and loading to work.
I really want to move to paper patched for all of my BPE rifles.

3DogMike
(.400 member)
01/02/19 12:42 PM

Ben,
Very nice find! Whether or not it has been “period refinished” is to me a moot point because the original case colors are there and not messed with.
Besides that, back in “the period” it was common for the gentry to send the guns back after hunting season to be cleaned, re-blacked/browned, and stock finish refreshed......you did well, it’s a beauty.
-Mike

DarylS
(.700 member)
01/02/19 01:38 PM

Quote:

I’m hoping to get this rifle out to see how she does soon.
Seems like weather and opportunity are rarely coinciding lately.
I cast and patched some 450gr bullets I use in my Turner 500 No.2 that I expect will shoot well in this rifle.
Also have another 500 3” BPE that I need to get out but I think will need a lighter bullet to regulate.
It’s a double J.V. Needham with a way lazy twist - like one in sixty.
Don’t even know where to start with that one...

300gr. is about max. I think. You might be able to paper patch bullets meant for the .500 S&W Magnum or for other .50 cal. pistols and muzzleloaders - or cast.

I have a couple NOE aluminum moulds - they are the best made moulds I have ever owned, and I have had RCBS, Lyman, Ohaus, Saeko, NEi and now NOE. Super moulds.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=43&osCsid=20djbkm36dvf46u9khk49o4eq0

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=44&osCsid=20djbkm36dvf46u9khk49o4eq0

Postman
(.375 member)
02/02/19 12:49 AM

Congratulations on a marvelous purchase!!!! It is a beautiful example of the Alex Henry falling block.

Most regrettably I missed out on an Alex Henry falling block in .450 BPE with a fluid steel barrel in very good condition (albeit not quite as nice as this one) with a fair bit of the original color case hardening. I procrastinated for a very long time (like two years) as the seller wanted top dollar for it. They reduced the price from $12,500 USD to $9,500 USD and shazam, in 8 weeks it sold....... I didn’t have enough loose money at the time as I’d just bought an Alex Henry double in .450 2 3/8 BPE.......

This thread is causing me tremendous regret that I was too slow on purchasing the falling block...... It’s a damned pity that I’m not made of money but I suppose that’s a common complaint!!!!!!!!!

Ripp
(.577 member)
02/02/19 03:49 AM

Quote:

Congratulations on a marvelous purchase!!!! It is a beautiful example of the Alex Henry falling block.

This thread is causing me tremendous regret that I was too slow on purchasing the falling block...... It’s a damned pity that I’m not made of money but I suppose that’s a common complaint!!!!!!!!!

PURCHASE??? HE WON IT..

Makes it even better...or worse for your regret..

Very nice looking rifle..congrats..

Boryx
(.224 member)
21/05/20 05:00 AM

I have just bought a Henry rifle like yours, but in .450 3-1/4” BPE.

In the metal buttplate, there is a small storage. It is shaped like a cone - any idea what the use of this room is ment to?

//Boryx

rigbymauser
(.400 member)
21/05/20 06:53 AM

Quote:

I have just bought a Henry rifle like yours, but in .450 3-1/4” BPE.

In the metal buttplate, there is a small storage. It is shaped like a cone - any idea what the use of this room is ment to?

//Boryx

Pictures....or it didn`t happened...:-)

Huvius
(.416 member)
21/05/20 10:00 AM

Quote:

My guess is that it is a place to keep a pull through bore brush and cord.
All of mine are empty!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com