drhall762
(.224 member)
17/08/18 07:36 AM
Odd Claw Mount Rear Base

Below is a diagram of the rear base on a snap-action drilling I acquired last week. I have never seen this type base before. I am guessing the latching mechanism is in the ring. NECG responded immediately to my inquiry but don't have the ring or know where to get one. I have fabricated rings for claw mounts before but I need something to go by.

Does anyone have a picture of the ring type or can point me towards one?

Thanks,

Igorrock
(.400 member)
17/08/18 01:15 PM
Re: Odd Claw Mount Rear Base

Do you have any fotos ? Preferably from both base, rear and front.

drhall762
(.224 member)
17/08/18 09:51 PM

I'll get one.

drhall762
(.224 member)
17/08/18 10:00 PM

Not great but you get the idea.

Igorrock
(.400 member)
17/08/18 11:07 PM

Yes, I have seen older type claw mounts which have locking mechanism with hooks in rear ring. They work like clothespin i.e. rear upper mount opens when you push wing forward.

drhall762
(.224 member)
18/08/18 05:40 AM

Any chance you have a picture of one? Do both sets of caws face forward?

Thanks.

kuduae
(.400 member)
18/08/18 06:14 AM

This seems to be the rear base of a "Triebel'sche Einhakmontage" = Triebel's claw mount, made from about 1910 to the 1930s by Albert Wilhwlm Triebel, Schillingstr. 8, Suhl ( one of 50 Triebels active in the German guntrade) for the trade. Here are two lousy pics of the rear "foot" of such a mount. The rectangular bosses fit into the front slots and position the scope. The two hooks are connected by round stems and screws to the springloaded, checkered crosspiece at the front. To release the scope, you grip the scope, push back the crosspiece with thumb and forefinger and lift the scope off the base. Maybe the easiest to use quick release nount ever n´made.

drhall762
(.224 member)
18/08/18 10:35 AM

Thank you so much. It will be some work but I can fabricate one now that I know what it loos like.

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
18/08/18 07:59 PM

Herr Eichendorff;

Another member suggested, perhaps only partly in jest, that you commit your vast knowledge of these topics to print in encyclopaedic form. Such contribution, if at all possible, would surely be a highly valued asset to this community and likely far more so by those who come after, to whom such knowledge could otherwise be lost.

Have you considered, for example, writing a comprehensive study of the Mannlicher Schönauer and all known variants?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com