Rolland
(.333 member)
26/07/16 01:33 PM
Martini Cadet finished

I have been working on this rifle for the past few months, I wanted the older 1970's style Fajen stock, Frank DeHass had one pictured in his book. Finally found a stock suited to my needs walnut with cocobolo caps. The barrel is a McGowen 26 inch #3 taper. chambered for 7-30 Waters. I used Belgium blue for the metal finish. It has 5 coats of Tru-oil with the last coat rubbed out with rottonstone I may do some more on the stock to knock down the shine. The gun still had the military wood and someone had cut the barrel to 16 inches and chambered it for 30-30 so the extractor fit the new chambering. The only problem now is to find some high steel 1 inch rings, lots of aluminum. The medium rings work but a little tight on reloading. The recoil on this cartridge is really mild. This a project I have wanted to do for 20 years

LesLeeSpeed
(.300 member)
26/07/16 06:28 PM
Re: Martini Cadet finished

Hi Rolland,
Lovely rifle, and a very nice stock job. Well done. I have a soft spot for the little martinis. What size is the rail on it? If it is a 3/8 dovetail, Millet do some very good steel rings. Might be a bit easier to get over there than here in The Land Down Under.
LesLeeSpeed

DarylS
(.700 member)
27/07/16 01:43 AM

Good job, even with the white line spacers - not my favourite, but a nice job overall. The pistol grip probably feels really nice.

Rolland
(.333 member)
27/07/16 04:32 AM

Its a 62A Weaver mount I find lots of aluminum rings just would rather have steel. Well I never did care for the white spacers but on this style stock I think they look good. But that's me.

Bidgee
(.375 member)
27/07/16 05:07 AM

Hi, nice looking job! It reminds me of a build a friends father had done in the the 70's.

I like both the rifle and your chose of calibre.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
27/07/16 07:11 PM

Interesting and very retro. Hope it works out well for you.

Maybe I will have to resurrect my monte carlo Parker Hale stock .... No!

Rell
(.375 member)
27/07/16 10:20 PM

Very cool.

It's amazing how style and lines have changed and changed back over years.

I have a soft spot for 70's rifles influenced by Roy W and Co.

Rolland
(.333 member)
28/07/16 01:24 PM

Quote:

Good job, even with the white line spacers - not my favourite, but a nice job overall. The pistol grip probably feels really nice.

Actually the pistol feels really good, best when shooting off hand with the extra wide forearm, it helps pull the stock in to my shoulder. Just be really careful when closing the action it likes to pinch.
Ya and I wear tie dyed tee shirts but cut the hair some retro lives yet.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com