Matabele
(.300 member)
22/06/13 05:03 AM
Farquharson actions?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could refer me to any resources, either books or on the web, on the action design of a Farquharson single shot? Or perhaps post pics of a stripped action? Im interested to see how these guns were put together.

And by contrast would anyone have pics of a stripped Hagn action to compare?

Thanks!

Huvius
(.416 member)
22/06/13 05:11 AM
Re: Farquharson actions?

Steve Bertram has lots of photos of stripped Farqs.
He is bouldersmith here on N.E. Give him a PM

Caprivi
(.375 member)
22/06/13 12:37 PM

Here's Steven's website link

http://bertramandco.com/index.html

Matabele
(.300 member)
23/06/13 02:11 AM

Thanks for the information gents, I'll drop Steve a PM!

metal
(.275 member)
18/07/13 08:21 AM

Try this,
http://www.hallowellco.com/james_tuckerrabbit%2017%20HMR.htm

aromakr
(.375 member)
19/07/13 01:30 AM

Metal:
They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, anyone that doesn't find that rifle astonishingly beautiful has a mental problem!!!!!!
Bob

Matabele
(.300 member)
19/07/13 04:13 AM

just amazing craftsmanship, absolutely stunning! Thanks for the link metal

doubleriflejack
(.333 member)
23/07/13 05:21 AM

"I was wondering if anyone could refer me to any resources, either books or on the web, on the action design of a Farquharson single shot?"
A small series of books have been written about the British single shot falling block rifles, by writer, Walter Winfer, with the first one in the series about the first in that type, a hammer falling block design by the Scottish gunmaker, Alexander Henry. Though, in many respects, it was very similar to the later Farquharson design of John Farquharson, other than that the Farquharson design had internal hammers, while the Henry had an outside hammer design. The Alex. Henry original design was later obviously copied by Steve Earle Wesson during the late 1870s, in what he called his Long Range model. Some posters on some of these forums have said that Alex. Henry copied the Wesson design, but that simply isn't true. Once the Farquharson design patent had expired, other British gun makers made them; the other books in the Winfer series have one book for each of those makers.

StephenCoker
(.300 member)
23/07/13 12:58 PM

Volume 3 of Wal Winfer's books on British Single Shot Rifles might prove interesting to you. This particular volume is on the Jeffery and Trade Farquharsons. I have the entire volume of his books and have found them to be very useful reads. There is a lot of good information on cartridges as well in most of his books.

amazon.com: wal winfer

Matabele
(.300 member)
25/07/13 04:10 AM

Many thanks for the book recommendations gents, I was pointed in that direction by another member of this forum. Now I just need to save up to buy the entire series!

joelblack
(.275 member)
09/08/13 12:45 AM

I have contributed to many of Wal's books, and recommend them all, but you should also definitely get a copy of Jonathan Kirton's British Falling Block book. BTW, Jonathan is presently working on a book on Fraser.

Nordmann
(.300 member)
09/08/13 01:42 AM

Try contacting Pugwash on this Forum, I think Mark will probably know more about Farquharson than most.

http://www.jfarquharson.com/

Matabele
(.300 member)
09/08/13 06:37 AM

Thank you for the replies!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com