baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
15/01/10 03:47 PM
New Farquharson action

I just assembled the major components tonight. The prototyping phase is usually a pain, but this one is going pretty easy.

Let me know what you think....Constructive critisism is more than welcome.

Thanks!!

casper50
(.400 member)
15/01/10 09:15 PM
Re: New Farquharson action

I'll take one when you're done. Large caliber please. Looking good.

rigbymauser
(.400 member)
15/01/10 11:47 PM

Quote:

I'll take one when you're done. Large caliber please. Looking good.

..577s or the big "6"..

500Nitro
(.450 member)
15/01/10 11:49 PM

Love the shape of the lever.

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
16/01/10 12:24 AM

Bailey,

You're getting my attention with this one.

My advice, extended in humble earnest: Pay close attention to style. English, English, very English.

Curl

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
16/01/10 02:41 AM

Curl,

English is the goal. I like the looks of the Holland/Woodward, and used it as a model. I like the cleaner underlever over the Gibbs actions ( even though they are pretty damn sexy too).

The top line of the action is modeled after later Gibbs actions where the stock blends nicely into the action without an abrupt step.

Thanks

450_366
(.400 member)
16/01/10 03:21 AM

Wery nice indeed, did you wire cut the cutout for the block or only the siluette?

AkMike
(.416 member)
16/01/10 04:43 AM

Are you using damascus on this one also? I can't tell from the rough machine marks. Either way it looks great so far/

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
16/01/10 07:06 AM

Andreas,

I wire cut the profile, breech block, block cavity, trigger plate. I machined the underlever and the tirgger plate profile to have it fit like an inlay into the action.

AkMike,

No damascus on this one as it will be chambered for 6.5-06 or 6.5X55. It is sized for anything using a 30-06 size case. I won't use damascus on anything with high pressure or much recoil.

degoins
(.333 member)
16/01/10 10:55 AM

SWEET!!!

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
16/01/10 11:55 AM

Thanks for another magnificent thread, Bailey. This is going to be another masterpiece, no doubt about it. And, this will be another blockbuster thread.

All the very best and congratulations on a work of gun art in the making!

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
16/01/10 04:54 PM

Now your talking, and x1,000,000 what Curl said..

Cinghiale
(.333 member)
16/01/10 05:55 PM

Bailey,

Looking forward to seeing the finished product, a 318WR would be very nice in a gun like this imho!!

Good luck,

MOG

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
17/01/10 12:24 AM

I think a .303 would be classic.

Here's what it should look like:

Curl

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
17/01/10 02:44 AM

A symphony of subtlty isn't it. I completly agree with you on styling, and like that you used a later action as an example. The way the top line of the stock blends to the action and on to the barrel is pure elegance. The earlier Farquharson actions and many of the modern actions have that abrupt step up at the rear of the action and it kills the flow to me.

I made a contact at the Dallas Safari club show with a British trained gunmaker now living in Texas. We had a nice conversation...long story short, I have a trained eye to help achive "The Look". I am so excited about it, I had a hard time sleeping after the show.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
17/01/10 02:51 AM

Bailey,

I think you are on another winner with this project and well done. Its great to have craftsmen such as yourself here on NE.

Squarebridge
(.300 member)
17/01/10 04:38 AM

Very exciting. Is this something you're going to offer for sale? I'd love to have one. Any idea of costs at this early point?

Antlers
(.275 member)
17/01/10 11:33 AM

I agree a .303 would be nice!

Englishman
(.275 member)
18/01/10 04:04 AM

Bailey Bradsaw,
What a treat to see your H&H Woodward action,have you concidered chambering it for .373 X 2 1/2" Nitro,this case has the same head Dia as the .303" so will fit a small action nicely,but is just a little bit different(with lower chamber pressures)One down side of the close fitting underlever/triggergaurd,is that under field use,any small leaf litter/twig ,that is caught between the two will prevent the action closeing fully,it does give the rifle a look of classic good fitting though.Even by the use of CNC and EDF cutting I doubt that you will be able to get the price down to that which people will pay,I have always cut them out by hand(Farquharsons not Woodwards)and there is no way I could sell them and make even a tiny profit,I look forward to seeing the progress photos on your superb project.
Cpt Curl,Many thanks for the photo of your G,Gibbs,I have one almost identical ,exept that mine has Selous grips,is yours in .303"? Mine I am sure has been re barreled at some time as the sight engraving states "37 Grn Cannonite & 200 Grn Bullet" what that was I have been unable to determine,I would like to post a photo on this forum but,although I have no trouble in E Mailing photos I have been unable to get them onto here!

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
18/01/10 11:45 AM

These can certainly be chambered for .303. This one (the prototype only) will be either a .204 or more than likly a .223 as I made a mistake on the trough ( feed path for cartridge on the top tang) and it is too short with too much angle for larger cases. I already made the necessary change to my CAD drawing for 30-06 sized cases. Brainless mistake, but it happens.

Englishman,

I can't claim this is a Hollard/Woodward action, just used that action as a model. I like the cleaner look of the lever and not having the hinge pin beneath the action body. I am not familiar with the internal workings of the 1894 action.

Pricing is still up in the air, but the way this one is coming together, they will be far less than comparable actions on the market. I intend to finish just a few of these myself. The actions will be primarily made for the trade. I will offer different levels of completion from just assembled parts to polished, barreled and pre-inletted stocks. Thats the plan at the moment anyway.

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
19/01/10 12:35 AM

Englishman,

The Gibbs is a .303, but sadly it's not mine. I had the very brief opportunity to buy that rifle a year or so ago. It was in Canada and I in the U.S. Telephone calls and email photos proved too slow as someone snatched it from under me. I never saw the rifle in person. I suppose I should have thrown caution to the wind and lunged for the rifle. That's risky in the extreme.

Another photo:

I would like to have a similar opportunity again.

Curl

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
19/01/10 01:21 PM

This little action is really coming together.

I have the cocking bar in place and man does it work well. Most designs are starved for enough movement and room for everything. Not the case here. The block has plenty of drop, cocking bar moves more than enough, and has a ton of force. All with only 27 degrees of rotation on the lever.

The cocking bar mechanics are very similar to Farquharson's 1874 design, where the cocking bar is moved rearward by the underlever, pushing on the hammer above it's rotation point, moving it intot he cocked position. I will be using a coil main spring with rebounding hammer, and in-line firing pin, so the hammer/trigger/sear arrangement will be different than Farquharson's.

You can see the rectangular cocking bar at the rear of the action block

Here is the action fully open, note how far the cocking bar has moved to the rear compared to the first picture

And fully open from the top view. A channel will be filled into the breech block as it typical so the full circumference of the chamber will be exposed. The dummy barrel has a .471" hole to simulate an -06 case.

AkMike
(.416 member)
19/01/10 04:04 PM

Beautiful!
With this `puter programed mill what's it going to take to scale this action up or down for other sized cartridges?

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
20/01/10 12:30 AM

Scaling the drawings are not difficult. It takes a couple of minutes on the CAD program, but ALL of the toolpaths have to be redone, and that takes a little while. New fixtures, larger material different tooling ect. It's not like re-prototyping, and once the initial work to go into production is complete, it is repeatable, and there is the value of CNC.

I will be making a larger action ( roughly the same size as a Ruger 1) for up tp .375 H&H. The current action is the small size. It will be chambered for the little guys up to -06. On small claibers, .22 hornet for example, the barrel can be turned to a smaller diameter and the barrel band can be reduced to that scale. The action will appear much smaller, but not give up ergonomics in the grip/trigger.

AkMike
(.416 member)
20/01/10 05:59 AM

Actually, I was wondering about something a tad larger that a 375. 450 or 500 and up will be popular choices I believe.
I'm starting to be very partial to the 450 NE.

Orvar
(.300 member)
20/01/10 07:02 AM

First: wow! I hope this will be as enjoyable (for us all) a watching your last thread on the 22H DR build...

I know this will not be well received, can't believe I'm writing this, but what about a "mountain" caliber (wildcat)... in the 6MM range? Could you run that in the "smaller" scale?

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
20/01/10 07:25 AM

Mike,

The big bores will be made, but I want to prove out the .375 action size and it may accomodate the big bores. I just need to do more measuring, figuring wall thickness and such to make sure they will be serviceable.

Dugongberbulu,

I want one of these in 6mm Remington for myself....

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
21/01/10 08:37 AM

The lockwork is in place and works great. Lots of energy on the hammer. It cocks easily. I can pull the lever with my pinky.

Right now the trigger is hard, but very crisp. It only rotates 2 degrees. I will of course tune up the trigger for about 3lbs. pull.

Here are a few shots....

Carpetsahib
(.333 member)
24/01/10 03:25 AM

This looks great. Where will the safety be? I am really interested in one of these actions for a .30-40 Krag.

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
24/01/10 11:37 AM

Safety will be on the tang. I will have pictures of it installed by Monday eve.

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
31/01/10 04:42 AM

I have the tang safety installed. It works great, and is very simple. As the trigger has the sear integral to it, blocking the rear of the trigger from rising stop any sear movement as well. When the safety is enguaged, there is zero trigger movement.

I know tases vary regarding safety buttons. I am not married to the one I have on the prototype, but do like it. They can be left as a rectangular block for later finishing.

Cinghiale
(.333 member)
31/01/10 06:13 PM

Bailey,

please keep going with the photos! this is such a fantastic project well done

MOG

Carpetsahib
(.333 member)
01/02/10 12:48 AM

This is really progressing nicely. Would it be possible to install a lever safety on the side, similar to the Gibbs Farquarson?

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
01/02/10 03:11 PM

I thought about the side lever safety, but the major drawback is it clutters the sides of the action IMHO, and actualy the last of the Gibbs had tang safeties.
It would be possible, but I am not a big fan of them myself.

I did get the barrel tunred down to fit into the action, and just need to finish the chamber and extractor cut before installing it. Not sure if I want to scope this one or go with open sights. Scopes kill the classic look of these retro style rifles. My eyes are thankfully still good, and I do enjoy shooting with open sights. Maybe extend the tang and mount a folding peep sight.......hmmmm

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
04/02/10 09:54 AM

Got a little shaping done. I had to get after the top tang with the welder to add material to make the tang trough lower. Already changed the CAD drawing and machined another action with the update. That's the way it goes with prototyping...

Anyway, let me know what you think.

CHAPUISARMES
(.416 member)
04/02/10 10:08 AM

Hi Bailey,

This project is wonderful, I have always liked the "Old" ways both by by nature and equipment. I do believe that this will be a "Winner" and will become the next generations collectable.

Cheers from Australia,

Jeff Gray

Kalunga
(.333 member)
04/02/10 10:13 AM

I agree, that action really looks very nice. Please keep posting pictures !

Kalunga

BlainSmipy
(.375 member)
25/02/10 03:42 AM

I'm really interested in the Cnc equipment your using. Who makes, what's the cost if a slob like me were to try and buy one. Do you do bits and pieces for other people? ie if I need some
work done on an action could you do it? You can pm me if you prefer.

Great stuff though. Love it and would say bigger is always better 577 and 600.

Bs

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
26/02/10 02:04 AM

Blain,

The machines I have are a Tormach mill, ($8k), a '91 model Fanuc W0 wire edm (you can pick one up for about $10k now...it's getting long in the tooth) and I recently added an Elox sinker edm ( $2k). If you could only have one, the most versatile is the mill.

Big learning curve if you don't have any machining experience. My advise would be to find a community college and take a course.

Not really interested in taking outside work. Setting up for production is like a muti act play, everything has to work in the timeframe alloted, and small interuptions set up a train wreck to the timeline.

Let me know if I can help on machining questions.

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
18/03/10 01:32 PM

Good News Good news.

I made another action...prototype number 2, or Mk1 Mod1 for you military types. Fitted the Gibbs style extractor, made a slight change to the underlever shape, added a latch like all godd Farkys have and a couple of other little changes for the better.

The best news is how well the extractor works. Drop the lever hard enough and it sends the case out as far and fast as any ejector I've ever used.

All that besing said, I am ready to start moving these out. PM, email or call me for details. (903)746-0004, baileybradshaw@netscape.com

I will update with pictures tomorrow.

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
20/03/10 01:51 PM

OK, here are a few photos. As I said before, I made a slight change to the underlever shape and added the latch. The extractor and cam require the two screws on the side of the action. I must say I am thrilled with it. Makes me feel nostaligic....only cure for that is one of these in .303 for my own use.

DarylS
(.700 member)
21/03/10 01:51 AM

Pretty COOL!

Old_Glass
(.300 member)
21/03/10 03:56 AM

Wonderful! Have often wondered why no one was doing this - other than Ruger's No1 absorbing a lot of the market of course. I've got mixed feelings seeing all these refinished and restocked/barreled Farquharsons etc. Perhaps if an affordable modern substitute becomes available we won't see so many of them being stripped of their history.

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
23/03/10 01:10 PM

Trigger group is assembled. Needs a heavier main spring, but that is just a phone call away.

I've shaped the underlever a little more as well.

Here are a couple of pictures of the action next to my Ruger 1. The bottom picture shows the size difference. The bottom of the actions are alighned.

CHAPUISARMES
(.416 member)
23/03/10 02:32 PM

Hi Baileybradshaw,

Lovely, but don't let it get to close to the Ruger or it might get contaminated....

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

450_366
(.400 member)
23/03/10 05:58 PM

Yeas, i think you have beaten the ruger with ease there, nice work.

kamilaroi
(.400 member)
23/03/10 10:16 PM

As some say; "piss elegant" !

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
25/03/10 09:32 AM

As for the largest cartridge it can be chambered for. I designed it for 30-06 sized cases, but since it requires a rimmed case, it will need to be a rimmed version in the medium bore family.

I did some research regarding the specific strength of the action. The dimensions critical to this are the action side walls, barrel band and corresponding barrel shank dia. The side walls are .2" thick, but can be left thicker if requested. ( the action is 1.25" thick)That's the same side wall thickness as a Ruger no.1, but my action has a couple of advantages over the no 1. First is the material. The No 1 is from a casting, and has releived areas where the sidewalls are thinner. I am using 4140 and 8620, and the cavity is wire cut on my EDM. The EDM produces a smooth, stress free cut. The breech block, also EDM cut is a precise fit, which reduces "hammering" from a not so perfect fit.

The barrel hole on the action is .875", which keeps .2" barrel wall thickness, plus the thickness of the barrel band around the chamber ( .164"). So, the dimensions of the barrel band and barrel shank require the case diameter to be .471" and smaller at the base, The rimm size should be .531" and smaller. This includes the 9.3x74r. So, to answer the question on the largest caliber, the 9.3X74R would be it.

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
26/03/10 11:30 AM

Beautiful! And it covers the range of cartridges that most people use for hunting, most of the time.

Good hunting!

Rockdoc
(.400 member)
26/03/10 12:34 PM

Bailey, that is looking lovely. I look forward to seeing it stocked. Very nice.

Cheers, Chris

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
28/03/10 02:28 AM

I am considering adding a set screw to adjust trigger travel. It is a crisp trigger, and with travel adjustment it would be tuneable to individual tastes.

The trigger, trigger spring and sear are integral. The safety blocks the rear of the trigger/sear, so the safety is very effective.

I did a little shaping to the bottom of the action yesterday. Polising today.....

Rockdoc
(.400 member)
28/03/10 09:57 PM

Bailey, after seeing the amount of work that's gone into the action of my 600Nitro Farquharson (Aus made)to get it into great shape I can really appreciate the hours of work there. Must be a labour of love!

Cheers, Chris

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
10/04/10 10:43 AM

Here are a few pics of the action 99% finished and ready for barreling. The barrel stub was chambered so I could test the extractor.

And here is a pic of a new addition to my shop. It's no Hardinge, but I am happy and proud to have it.

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
26/04/10 11:58 AM

Machined the prototype stock. Pre-inleted on the mill, and left about .35" to hand inlet to the action. It will take me about 2 hrs to finish the inletting and begin refining the stock's shape with a file. I could get the inletting accurate enough on the mill to fit the action, but it becomes a case of diminishing returns. I like to leave a little hand work as it keeps me "intimate" with my work.

The wrist is left oversized by about 1/8" top and bottom, but is within .02" of finished thickness. Quick work for rasp and chisels.

This is going to be a REALLY nice stalking rifle. Balance will be about 1/2" in front of the action, and I would guess the weight will be about 6 lbs. I can get a good idea of how the rifle will feel with the stock "on". I am liking the way it is turning out.

Rule303
(.416 member)
26/04/10 12:36 PM

Bailey,

That is a very nice looking action. It would be exceedingly nice to have a matched pair one in 303 the other in 275Rigby. Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Greg

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
30/04/10 04:21 AM

Update.....

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
16/06/10 12:07 PM

Making a push to get this one finished.

It's much better balance and lighter than I anticipated. The barrel is different than the one in previous pictures. It's a #2 contour Shilen, so it's a little lighter than the previous barrel as well. As is, it weighs 5 3/4 lbs. Balance point is at the front edge of the action.

I ran a few rounds through it today and am very pleased with the function of the rifle.
Hope you enjoy the pics.

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
22/06/10 03:08 AM

Got her done! Scope will be in Wednesday, and will get it mounted and sighted in this week.

I will be donating one of these to the Dallas Safri club for the Jan. show auction. Same caliber, but with iron sights as well as the quarter rib.

Hope you enjoy it, Thanks for looking.

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
22/06/10 08:06 AM

lovely ! best, Mike

CHAPUISARMES
(.416 member)
22/06/10 08:57 AM

Hi Baileybradshaw,

Well done, it is a beautiful piece of work, I love the engraving with the gold borders, it gives a "Finished" touch. All we need down south in Australia is for you to get Alex Beer to be your agent.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
22/06/10 09:22 AM

"All we need down south in Australia is for you to get Alex Beer to be your agent."

I would like nothing more. Is an agent required for importing to Aus.?

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
22/06/10 09:45 AM

Very nice! Have you shot it? How does it shoot?

Curl

baileybradshaw
(.333 member)
22/06/10 10:22 AM

Curl,

I have run a few rounds through it. It points very nice, easy to hold steady, trigger is crisp, and recoil of course is very pleasant ( 7x57r after all). I didn't have sights on it as the customer wants it scoped only, so I just sighted down the rib. It shot where I was looking, but I didn't try for anything other than a functional test.

I mounted and lapped in the rings today. The scope will be in tomorrow or Wed. and I will shoot for groups then.

It will be accurate. Free floated barrel from the re-enforced chamber area on out, an in-line firing pin and a good trigger. Of course I will post proof once I get her dialed in.

Charls
(.275 member)
23/06/10 10:30 PM

Well done! It looks fantastic. Is it possible to give us a close-up photo so that I can see the engraving style?
Thanks,
Charls

AiredaleMarine
(.224 member)
09/07/10 11:45 AM

Just in case anyone drooling is really serious about owning a Farquarson I happen to have one for sale over in the classified section. Not only does one get the rifle, but there is a published story behind it. It's chambered for a true African caliber, .450 3 1/4". If anyone is serious please contact me directly at my e-mail below.

Semper Fi,
AiredaleMarine@att.net

Dono
(.224 member)
08/08/10 05:28 PM

Hi all love the farquharson,I would l ove one in 9.3x74r and agree Alex would be a good agent here in Aust.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
09/08/10 01:26 AM

Quote:

Got her done! Scope will be in Wednesday, and will get it mounted and sighted in this week.

I will be donating one of these to the Dallas Safri club for the Jan. show auction. Same caliber, but with iron sights as well as the quarter rib.

Hope you enjoy it, Thanks for looking.

Well done Bailey, another fine work of art and an added bow to your repertoire.

DarylS
(.700 member)
10/08/10 01:28 AM

Beautiful work, Bailey - very sleek, just like a single should be.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com