02/10/20 09:24 PM
Re: Nitro Express Devil's Curry

Eating!

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
12/06/23 11:12 PM

https://rasamalaysia.com/devils-curry/

I was hoping to find the web link I used for the recipe!

Alas I didn't, third or fourth time I've had to find it. Of course found many but looking for the specific link. Probably on my laptop now inaccessible.

This might be it. So recording it here now.

I've made maybe two times. Took lots of photos. A nice spicy Christmas dish.

https://rasamalaysia.com/devils-curry/

Devil’s Curry
by Bee Yinn Low
Published: 11/01/13
Modified: 02/07/23
RECIPE INDEX
JUMP TO RECIPE
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my privacy policy.

Devil’s Curry is a Malaysian dish of chicken curry with vinegar. It’s a special-occasion dish made popular by the Portuguese Eurasian in Malaysia.

Devil's curry in a bowl.
Devil’s Curry Recipe
Devil’s Curry is a Malaysian dish of chicken curry with vinegar.

It’s a special-occasion dish made popular by the Portuguese Eurasian in Malaysia.

This is an authentic recipe originated in the state of Melaka (Malacca) in the peninsula of Malaysia.

History of Devil’s Curry
In the 15th century, Malacca was the most important trading port in Southeast Asia. The Sultanate of Malacca was a powerful empire.

In 1511, the Portuguese conquered Malacca and started the colonization era of Malaysia.

Many Portuguese settled down and married local women and formed the Cristang/Eurasian community in Malaccca.

Devil’s Curry or Curry Devil is a special occasion dish for them. It’s also called Kari Debal or curry Debal.

Recipe Ingredients
Devil’s Curry is a fiery red curry made with a spice paste of the following ingredients:

Red chilies
Shallots
Garlic
Lemongrass
Ginger
Galangal
Turmeric
All the ingredients above are accessible outside of Malaysia. For the spices such as mustard seeds, galangal and turmeric, you can find them at Asian stores.

Unlike other Malaysian curries, Devil’s Curry is flavored with vinegar for the sharp taste.

The end result is a curry dish that is spice-laden, complex in flavor, tantalizing to the taste buds.

It’s a must-have during festivities such as Christmas for the Eurasian Kristang community in Malaysia.

I learned and adapted the recipe from my good friend Chef Robert Danhi, whose sister-in-law is a Portuguese-Eurasian born and raised in Malacca.

Can I Freeze Kari Debal Overnight?
Yes, you can.

For a small family, you can have this curry dish for the whole day, for lunch and dinner. The flavor of the curry develops and becomes richer overnight.

Freeze the leftover in the fridge and reheat before serving the next day.

How Many Calories per Serving?
The recipe serves four people so it’s perfect for the whole family. This recipe is only 336 calories per serving.

What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
This curry dish is best served with steamed rice. For a Malaysian meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.

Devil's Curry
Devil’s Curry is a Malaysian dish of chicken curry with vinegar. It’s a special-occasion dish made popular by the Portuguese Eurasian in Malaysia.
FROM 23 VOTES
PRINT
BY BEE YINN LOW
YIELD
4 People
PREP
30minutes mins
COOK
1hour hr 15minutes mins
TOTAL
1hour hr 45minutes mins

Ingredients

Spice Paste:

20-30 dried red chilies (seeded and soaked in water for 20-30 minutes)
8 small shallots (coarsely chopped)
5 cloves garlic (coarsely chopped)
3 stalks lemongrass (white part only, thinly sliced)
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 tablespoon minced galangal
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 cup cooking oil
1-2 tablespoons water

Other Ingredients:

1/4 cup cooking oil
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
3 lbs. chicken (cut into pieces)
1 lb. potatoes (peeled and cut into pieces)
1 cup water
Salt and sugar to taste
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar

Cilantro (for garnishing, optional)

Instructions
In a blender, transfer all the ingredients for the Spice Paste and puree until smooth. Set aside.

In a Dutch oven or a heavy pot, heat up the oil on medium heat When the oil is heated, add the mustard seeds and cook until you can hear the popping sound from the mustard seeds.

Add the Spice Paste into the oil and fry until aromatic, about 10 minutes or until the oil separates and floats to the top.

Add the chicken, stir to coat with the spice paste. Let cook for about 8-10 minutes, add in the potatoes. Stir to combine well.

Pour in the water. The water should barely cover the meat and potatoes. Add the salt and sugar to taste. Stir well and bring it to a boil. Turn the heat to simmer, cover with a lid and simmer for about 20-30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.

Adjust the seasoning with salt and sugar. Add the white vinegar or tamarind juice (refer to Notes). Stir to mix well.

Turn off the heat and serve the Devil's Curry with cilantro as the garnishing, if using. Serve hot with steamed rice.

Notes
The amount of dried red chilies to use depends on the level of spiciness you prefer.

You can use tamarind juice to replace the distilled white vinegar.

To make the tamarind juice, mix 3 tablespoons of tamarind pulps with a little over 1/3 cup of water. Use your fingers to squeeze the pulps a few times to get the juice out. Discard the tamarind pulps and use the tamarind juice.

COURSE:Main Course
CUISINE:Malaysian
KEYWORDS:Devil's Curry

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
13/06/23 12:36 AM

I remember from previous websites, perhaps a tv show or YouTube video some notes.

The Kristang people are Christians in Malacca originally from Portuguese days. Mixed Portuguese, Malays and Chinese. 5he Portuguese were in Malacca at acsimilar time to the introduction of Islam. Either not long after or at a similar date. Now number a few thousands only.

Devil's Curry, or Kari Debal in Malay, isn't really "devils" but that sounds cool for a hot curry. Nowadays usually a tasty but boring chicken curry. Everything's chicken! But chicken ascthe original pork isn't acceptable in Malaysia. The original Kari Debal was a New Year's feast dish. Roast pork, pork sausages, other pork left over from Christmas was made into a spicy Portugese flavoured curry dish. I think pork, sausages, turkey or chicken could be used, or all of them.

Making the curry sauce like this from scratch results in such a tremendously better result than from a supermarket pack. You'll never find Kari Debal anyway.

Portuguese colonial recipes are pretty good. From Malacca, South Africa, Mozambique, Angola, Goa, Brazil and Macau. Some unique combinations of Portuguese, African, indian, Malay, and Chinese.

Nando's spicy chicken is a Portuguese inspired dish.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
13/07/23 10:08 PM

The Devil's Camp Oven is bubbling tonight.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com