yumastepside
(.333 member)
15/01/22 09:06 AM
Vortex scopes

Anyone got an opinion or experience with Vortex scopes?

Roger

DarylS
(.700 member)
15/01/22 10:32 AM
Re: Vortex scopes

I have a couple Vortex scopes. One, a 4-16X with MOA slashes, 14 of them, giving 30MOA to the reticle without touching a turret. Love that scope.

This scope got me on the 1000 meter buffalo in 2 shots. My first, I held for 1000yards & hit just under his chest. Added 1 1/2 MOA and pow--clang in the heart. .300 Mag, 180gr. WW 180gr. factory ammo - 27 1/2MOA, seems to me was the setting.

The other is a 6-18X with mil dots I have on my 6.5x44 Swedish Varberger (at this time).
Like them both, but the first one is special! Love it.

Ripp
(.577 member)
15/01/22 11:53 AM

I don't like them even a little.. Will never own another... had 1 years ago...never again..

I realize everyone is different.. but mine crapped the bed the first day it was on my rifle..sent it back.. got it repaired..lasted less than a month.. People say they have a great warranty.. How good is that going to be for you when your in Zimbabwe or Kyrgyzstan??

Comparatively, compared to other manufacturers I find them to be on the heavy side.. another reason I don't like them.. Comparing similarly priced scopes with various brands I feel the clarity and eye relief are not comparable as well.

They do have different levels..and they are popular with many, including Daryl.. NOT with me..

I have used a lot of Leupold's, Swarovski, Zeiss, S&B, Kahles, and Nightforce. Honestly shot more with Leupold's than all the others put together probably.. One of my favorite scopes is the Kahles 525i for long range shooting (targets) .. Another is a Leupold Mark 5... Swarovski is also very good.. Had a Leupold VX 3 4-14 on my 300RUM for 8 years.. went with me to Kyrgzstan twice, 6 times to Africa, South America and Alaska. Never once did I have to move the zero on it when I got to camp.. Worked so well I replaced it with a Swarovski.. dumb move frankly as it does not hold zero as well as the old Leupold did for 1/3 the price..

Another issue is everyone's eyes are different. What may look great to you might be not so much with my eyes.. Each manufacturer uses different coatings.. again, your eye may like what my eye does not..

Just my .03..

260rem
(.375 member)
15/01/22 12:26 PM

I was looking at one, decided that it was a better bet to buy a Swarovski for the sane money.

Ripp
(.577 member)
15/01/22 02:47 PM

I'm not a big Ron Spoomer fan.. but this is an interesting article...

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/huntin...oCV5raEXeU0yj_I

The Truth About Riflescope Brightness (And How to Pick the Best Hunting Scope for Low Light)
There’s far more to scope brightness than meets the eye. Here’s what you need to know

BY RON SPOMER | PUBLISHED APR 7, 2020

Contact Us NitroExpress.com