(.300 member)
23/01/05 10:05 PM
binos

Any recommendations on a qualiy pair of 8*30's

ThomasEdwards
(.300 member)
24/01/05 01:10 PM
Re: binos

...top end (with concomitant pricing)...new leica ultravids...

...near top end (at a very good value, now that the ultravids have been released)...leica bn or ba series...

...medium end (tho i have no viewing experience)...new zeiss conquest series...

DPhillips
(.375 member)
24/01/05 04:25 PM

I've got a pair of Swarovski 8x30's that are just outstanding. They are about 12 or 15 years old and don't know how they compare to the newer models.

EricD
(.416 member)
24/01/05 07:54 PM

I use a pair of Swarovski 8x30 that are about 6 years old. Although they aren't as sharp as the new model that came out about a year ago, nor as sharp as the top end Leicas, they're fine for me. And very solid.

Stick to the well known makers and you can't go too wrong.

Erik

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
28/01/05 01:24 PM

I've been using a pair of Leica 8 X 32s for about 9 years. They're very light, and have great optics.

Marrakai
(.416 member)
29/01/05 01:38 AM

Mike just hit the nail on the head. If they are going to be hanging round your neck day-in day-out in the hunting field, weight is THE most important criteria IMHO. All the top names are very good, and most makes are good enough, so compare their mass: you will be surprised at the range of weights across the popular models!

Taos
(.300 member)
29/01/05 07:03 AM

I have been using Kahles for the last couple of years. The are a bit heavy but the optics are superb. At a little cheaper price than the above mentioned brands. They work very well for me on a daily basis.

ozhunter
(.400 member)
31/07/07 09:27 PM

Have used Kahles, Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica.
LEICA are the Best IMO..

Rockdoc
(.400 member)
12/08/07 04:54 PM

What model Leica's would you get? I go through Singapore fairly regularly and they seem heaps cheaper there than here. Bought my son some nice Steiner 10x42's there. But would like something lighter.
Cheers, Chris

Ripp
(.577 member)
12/08/07 11:14 PM

I have a pair of Swarovski 8x32 EL's--and they are awesome--I use them a lot when bow hunting or in thick cover--work great.. and they are light weight as well..

In my experience they have a little bit more of adjustment than Leica when I was checking them out..

Everyone's eye is slightly different just like your finger print--what works great for some might not for you--highly suggest looking through them a bit if possible before you buy..

Ripp

Rockdoc
(.400 member)
13/08/07 05:30 PM

Thanks Ripp. I will try and see some. My problem is I live in the country and it's hard to find somewhere with a few different makes to compare (whinge!). I mentioned Leica as they seem ok and are available in Singapore where I seem to pass through every couple months or less. They have a factory or warehouse out near Jurong on the west coast. I'm not in a hurry so will take a good look at the Swarovskis and compare suitability to me and price. The are lots cheaper in Singapore than here!. By the way, loved the buffalo photos you posted. I'm envious!

ozhunter
(.400 member)
18/08/07 06:08 PM

8x32 LEICA ULTRAVIDS is what I would get if I needed another set to replace my TRINOVIDs.

taw1126
(.333 member)
19/08/07 06:57 AM

Quote:

I mentioned Leica as they seem ok...

I'd say they're better than okay...Leica is consistently rated among the best optics and has been for quite awhile.

I have the 8x42 Trinovids (I needed the better dusk & dawn light gathering of the 42mm lenses for the woods I usually hunt) and like ozhunter said: if I had to replace them, I'd probably start by looking at the Ultravids. I'll also say that while the 8x have been good, I've wished on many occassions that I'd bought the 10x42's, especially when hunting the mountains.

If you can get them at discounted rates consider yourself lucky. In the US you can expect to pay $1,000 to $1,300 for the 8x32 Trinovids and Ultravids are $1,600+.

ozhunter
(.400 member)
19/08/07 01:29 PM

As taw1126 has said, sometimes 10x42s would be handy.
Hunting in the mountains is one such time.

Rockdoc
(.400 member)
19/08/07 04:50 PM

Thanks guys. I'll check out the Leicas and report on prices there, probably in 3 or 4 weeks. Pity the arse just dropped out of the $Aus exchange rate though, it was really good there 3 weeks ago! At least the vodka was cheap! Love the buffalo and chamois photos ozhunter.

Weatherby
(.224 member)
19/08/07 07:59 PM

No doubt you may have heard enough on this subject now but I thought Id throw in a little more. I have recently tried out all major brands of Binos and came with the following two as being the best available in the 8 x 32 range.

They were the Swarovski EL's and the Leica Ultravids. Both were fantastic to look through. The first thing I noticed about the EL's is that they were very comfortable, however they were a little heavier and bigger than the Ultravids. The Ultravids were rubber armoured and very compact. The Ultravids also have superior eye relief and the highest twilight factor in all top end models I tested. This twighlight factor gives you the most light possible through the glass in the mornings, afternoons and during poor conditions. In the end I chose the Leica Ultravids and cannot be happier. Ive taken them on many hunting trips since and never looked back.

If theres one thing I can definitely say, don't go with the cheaper options. Take the top name brands and don't do what most of us have already done....... I am glad I finally made the right choice...

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
20/08/07 03:12 AM

I use Swarovski 8x32 EL's as well and am happy with them.

I prefer these "middle sized" to the small pocket sized models even though they are heavier but quicker easier to use and good in lower light. I once counted the points on one of my fallow stags antlers at night by moonlight from about 50 metres with them.

I just wish my scopes were Swarovski and smilar as when I look through my Leupolds (or cheaper) it is a waste of time in low light at dusk or dawn.

I would look at Leicas or Swarovskis if I was going to get new ones.

Rockdoc
(.400 member)
21/09/07 03:13 PM

I was in Singapore Wednesday. Didn't shop around too much as have caught a stomach bug somewhere in China (surprise) and combined with tooth abscess I didn't feel too well.
Without really trying, cheapest price for 10x42 Ultravids was Sg$1700-1750, 8x42's about Sg$50 less. Price varied enormously, as often the case, with first quote up to Sg$2250 or more. This was at Lucky Plaza (Orchard Rd).

I haven't checked Australian prices yet but this seems a lot less than prices quoted here, so ok if passing through Singapore.

Best wishes, Chris

Contact Us NitroExpress.com