Re: 8 bore in Purdey style, and German Jaeger

I am.

DarylS
(.700 member)
27/06/07 03:50 AM

Very nice, indeed.
: Have you been to the ALR site?
: Here's a .60 cal. Jaeger my bro whipped up for a hunting rifle.

szihn
(.400 member)
27/06/07 05:39 AM

Yes, I am SZ on that site.
Your brother's work is beautiful. Who is he?

I also made the Jaeger rifle that's on page 115 of Track of the Wolf's #16 catalog.

500grains
(.416 member)
27/06/07 08:38 AM

Quote:

I am.

Wow! You have a great talent.

bigdog
(.375 member)
27/06/07 09:15 AM

Dumb question, what is the ALR site???

szihn
(.400 member)
27/06/07 11:50 AM

Thank You 500grains.

That was kind to say.

bigdog, ALR is the AmericanLongrifles.com Site
I am also on the Traditional Muzzleloading association site.
I am "SZ" on ALR, and Wyosmith on TMA.
Steve

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
27/06/07 02:32 PM

All three displayed firearms are very nice and would be spectacular in anyone's gun rack.

szihn,

What is the calibre of the Jaeger rifle?

Szihn and Daryl_S,

Please feel free to display additional photos and firearms and also please tell us about some of them.

szihn
(.400 member)
27/06/07 04:11 PM

The Jaeger I made is a 62 caliber. It's now for sale by the man that owns it. He had me make it several years ago, but he won't hunt with it.
(Says it's "too nice" Heck........I thought that was what nice guns were for. But he want's to sell it and have me make him a few plainer ones)
If you know anyone that's interested let me know, and I will pass the info along.

Steve

DarylS
(.700 member)
28/06/07 12:55 AM

Steve - I really like the walnut in your stock. As far as hunting with it, I don't see a problem - as you said.
: Bigdog - the only dumb question is one that isn't asked. Private message sent to you.
; Taylor used the maple blank for his Jaeger as it was a rather nice one wiht good feather in the butt area.
; Up until now, this was not only his only hunting rifle, but also his 'target' rifle for rendezvous. He has now finished a new Virginia rifle (Ginney) in .50 for rondy's. Initial testing shows the Rice barrel to be a wonderful shooter. He'll be difficult to beat at Heffley creek this August.

degoins
(.333 member)
28/06/07 10:47 PM

beautiful work....i LOVE the 8 bore. do you make those to sell or just for your personal enjoyment....or both?

szihn
(.400 member)
29/06/07 12:05 AM

Hi degoins

That one is for sale.
It comes with a ball mold and a powder measure.

And --- to answer the question.....
"both"

degoins
(.333 member)
29/06/07 02:22 AM

szihn,
how much do you want for her? you can email me at degoins3@aol.com if you prefer.

yeah, that's what i figured!!

szihn
(.400 member)
29/06/07 03:17 AM

It's $3,200 after checkering, or $2,800 "as is".
I didn't finish the checkering yet. The man who ordered it had a bunch of family problems, and couldn't finish paying for it. So I stopped working when I knew I would not get paid. He's a good and an honest man, and it's not his fault, so I don't make a big deal out of it, but I can't work for free either. I have bills to pay just like everyone else. I will finish the checkering later, but when money starts coming in,(from anyone that wants it) or when I have some "spare time" (If there is such a thing.)
Or as I said, I will let it go, "as is" for $2800.

tinker
(.416 member)
29/06/07 05:47 AM

Steve-

Really nice work.
I'm excited about the price too, as it looks like I might actually be able to afford the big bore muzzle loader I want at the level of quality that I desire.

What's your lead time for a project like the 8b or a rifle similar to the flintlock but much less ornate?
I'd be interested in a 16b rifle for roundball, I have a couple of moulds that throw balls that measure ~.670"

--Tinker

szihn
(.400 member)
29/06/07 06:50 AM

Hi Tinker

well, there's far too many details to work out in less than a very long e-mail session.
However, I can tell you that I am back-logged now about 1 to 1 1/2 years on most of my work.

Now, longer waiting period are both good and bad.
"Bad" in that they are longer!
"Good" in that they allow a man to have more time to pay things off.

I have found that most men in the working class can afford to get a VERY nice rifle if they just have time. It's not like going to a gun show or convention, and seeing your dream gun there with the price on it. You have to give the whole amount or walk away. In the world of custom muzzleloaders (at least in my world) you only have to tell me what you want, and how long you need. I work around your budget and your time table.

I stopped taking orders in 1999 when I got 7 years behind, and I just started again last fall.
Anyway.....why don't you give me a call, and we'll talk. I'll bring you up to speed on your options, and the prices that each one would cost. Also I will let you know what is the best way to get the highest value for any given budget you need to stay within

Steve
szihn@wyoming.com

DarylS
(.700 member)
29/06/07 09:45 AM

That 8 bore is cheap, guys. Quality parts, and very well made. I do like the way the engraving continues from the lock plate into the English patent breech. It is similar to my old 14 bore moose rifle.

szihn
(.400 member)
29/06/07 11:25 AM

Thank You Daryl
You are correct. The price is very reasonable.
I will tell you all the story, so you’ll know why.
I made this gun a while ago for a good friend and customer. He’s bought several muzzleloaders from me over the years, and he’s always been good as gold and honest as they come.

Well he had some sickness and a death in his family, and had to come up with money for bills.

I have the rifle all finished except the checkering. He had $2000 paid when the ill fortune befell him.
Now I guess I could just take posession of the gun, but I don’t treat folks that way, It’s not he chose to not pay me. It could not be helped.

So I am selling it for what I have to get out of it to pay my own bills, and I will send him the $2,000 he paid to me on it as a refund, to help him out. I have had tragity in my life too, and I know what it’s like. So I won’t add to his problems.

If I can get the $3200 I will take the 1200 for my time and expences, and send him the $2000. I will then finish the checkering and send the rifle to the customer.

If someone sends me $2800 I will take the $800 for my time (1/2 price of what’s left, but that’s OK) and again, send him the $2,000. The rifle would then be shipped as it is now, without checkering.
I don’t make these guns for $3200 these days but this one will sell for that amount--- for the above reasons.
Steve

Contact Us NitroExpress.com