casper50
(.400 member)
16/01/23 08:42 AM
Received the Purdy 10 bore mule this weekend.

My shipment from England came in on Saturday. Suppose to be made by Giles Whitmore for Purdey. What they used it for I wouldn't know. It has to be shot off of a bench. This is one of the strangest firearms I've ever bought. First off it weighs a whopping 20 pounds. The paradox style rifling is a removable choke is the only thing I can think of to call it. No safety and no extractor. Butt is very nicely grained and has a skeleton pistolgrip cap.

https://i.imgur.com/vn65KDG.jpg
Click on the link to see the full length gun.

Edited to make the first way too large image a link, not a displayed image. Make the thread readable.

Marrakai
(.416 member)
16/01/23 09:15 AM
Re: Received the Purdy 10 bore mule this weekend.

Picatinny Rail on a Purdey...? Really?

Gunna be a fun project though, Casper!

casper50
(.400 member)
16/01/23 09:19 AM

I'm not sure what to do with it. I was hoping it would be light enough to actually use for hunting but it isn't. If I keep it the Picatinny rail is coming off and the allen head screw will be changed to a set screw so that it will disappear on profile.

Bindi2
(.275 member)
16/01/23 10:49 AM

That setup looks to me to be a range rifle one not hunting.

85lc
(.375 member)
16/01/23 12:43 PM

I agree with Bindi2. It looks like a range rifle.

One suggestion is to have the barrel pulle and cut down on a lathe to a lighter weight, say 0.900' or thinner at the muzzle.

Marrakai
(.416 member)
16/01/23 12:43 PM

Casper:
A suggestion you might consider is to have the barrel profiled to leave near full diameter between the receiver-ring
and your forward hand, then taper swiftly to an absolute minimum wall-thickness to the muzzle.
That way the remaining weight will be concentrated close to centre of mass, and the rifle will
probably become lively enough to use in the hunting field.

Can't believe the unnecessary barrel wall thickness at the muzzle! Its just a 10-bore bore-gun, for goodness sake!
Madness!

Ha! Posted on top of you, RB.
Great minds think alike...

Bindi2
(.275 member)
16/01/23 03:49 PM

Yes a 10 bore being used as a high powered rifle. The powder loads will be rifle powders so the barrel Diameter has to be large. Brass cases would have been used.
Just think 1.5oz of lead or more doing somewhere around 2,500 fps.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
16/01/23 06:44 PM

No offence but that is a rather ugly rifle.

Was it used without a forend?

In a vice?

PS I edited the first displayed image - too large - to a link to make the thread readable.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
16/01/23 06:51 PM

A question. Is the only rifling in that collar on the muzzle? In a paradox is the rifling only that short usually? If so, could lots of shotguns be converted to "paradoxes" with screw in "chokes"?

casper50
(.400 member)
16/01/23 07:35 PM

in the collar only Was told by Holt's that it was made for Purdey as a test gun. Has to be a bench gun as it's impossible to hold steady offhand

Pugwash
(.300 member)
17/01/23 12:27 AM

That was a test rifle for the 10 bore paradox that Purdeys made. The action is a John Shirley design that Giles Whittome used to build several rifles under his own name. The best thing you could do with it is rebarrel it to a 600NE.

tinker
(.416 member)
17/01/23 01:19 AM

10 bore paradox from Purdey

Hm

Did our member here with the modern battery of guns order a 10b paradox from Purdey?

tinker
(.416 member)
17/01/23 01:28 AM

He did

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....true#Post355558

That test rifle might make a cool addition to his gun room

Contact Us NitroExpress.com