Ripp
(.577 member)
10/04/22 02:46 AM
Son--- Trapping Badgers

My son, age 9, found a good set spot..went back to the yard, got a trap and set it.. 2 days later.. this was his reward..

Resized_20220405_150128 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

He is obsessed with trapping right now..has caught rabbits, raccoons, skunks and 1 coyote.. not bad for age 9..

93x64mm
(.416 member)
10/04/22 07:06 AM
Re: Son--- Trapping Badgers

Great to see, a young fellow like that keen to do stuff like this by himself!
Hope he don't get hit with the skunk 'perfume', & that lesson he never has to learn by the university of hard knocks!

DarylS
(.700 member)
10/04/22 07:08 AM

Good for him. What a guy!!!

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
10/04/22 10:52 AM

Well done. What do you do with badgers?

260rem
(.375 member)
10/04/22 05:09 PM

Quote:

Well done. What do you do with badgers?

I'd say they are mounted as a badger of honour.

But good on him, I loved trapping as a kid and still do it now.

DoubleD
(.400 member)
10/04/22 09:45 PM

I have a mounted Badger, a huge one I took in northern Montana--35 lbs in the round. I was going ad a pictures, it was lost in last years cloud fire.

That is a prime looking fur Ripp. I think the fur market is in the tank right now or it would a good place to go with this fur.

Give that lad a well done!

450_EXPRESS
(.333 member)
11/04/22 02:04 AM

That's a nice pale badger. I'd suggest Moyle Mink & Tannery over in Idaho as the place to get it or any furs you guys want to have tanned. I've had them do from weasels to bears and they've always done a great job.

lancaster
(.470 member)
11/04/22 04:12 AM

waidmannsheil to the young trapper

260rem
(.375 member)
11/04/22 05:10 PM

It's actually not all that hard to tan them yourself, I've used commercial kits, brain tanned and even used eggs.
One commercial kit a mate put me onto is so easy, use a pressure washer to flesh the skin, soak it one bucket of solution and then another and your done.
But even if you do it old school using a pressure washer to fles them us the easiest and fastest way.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
11/04/22 06:52 PM

Could a large rug be made of the furs? I think such could be very nice.

bwanabobftw
(.375 member)
12/04/22 12:05 AM

Well done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations to your son.

Ripp
(.577 member)
12/04/22 01:32 AM

He is on a roll.. he and my wife were coming into the machinery yard at dusk and saw this guy running across the yard near the chicken coup..he asked Mom if he could set a trap.. this was the result the next morning.. he is on a roll..

20220409_173726 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

DarylS
(.700 member)
12/04/22 02:37 AM

WOW - that one is dark. Looks like a big coon.

DoubleD
(.400 member)
12/04/22 06:05 AM

That's heavy prime coon. Well done Lad!

LRF
(.333 member)
12/04/22 09:11 PM

Congrats to your son, nicely done.

Have you and/or your son ever watched that documentary "Trapper Jake"? I am sure he would enjoy it. Its about Jake Korell, who lived in Wyoming, started trapping when he was 7 and continued for 92 years when he died in 2013 at 99 years old. Note: his language can be a bit gritty.

Ripp
(.577 member)
13/04/22 12:06 AM

Quote:

Have you and/or your son ever watched that documentary "Trapper Jake"? I am sure he would enjoy it. Its about Jake Korell, who lived in Wyoming, started trapping when he was 7 and continued for 92 years when he died in 2013 at 99 years old. Note: his language can be a bit gritty.

I have not.. but you can rest assured we will watch it this weekend.. As to his salty language.. he is used to it.. especially when I am fixing fence and hit my finger with the fencing pliars..

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
13/04/22 12:34 AM

Quote:

As to his salty language.. he is used to it.. especially when I am fixing fence and hit my finger with the fencing pliars..

"Golly Gosh! That smarts something fierce!"

LRF
(.333 member)
13/04/22 03:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have not.. but you can rest assured we will watch it this weekend.. As to his salty language.. he is used to it.. especially when I am fixing fence and hit my finger with the fencing pliars..

Thanks, update us on what your son thought after watching it. BTW watching it qualifies as educational because there teaching moments about trapping.

260rem
(.375 member)
13/04/22 05:14 PM

I might have to try and find it, the old timer's have forgotten more then we will ever know.

LRF
(.333 member)
13/04/22 10:00 PM

Here is a link to the movie trailer:
Trapper Jake

Ripp
(.577 member)
13/04/22 11:54 PM

Quote:

Here is a link to the movie trailer:
Trapper Jake

Thank you..yeah I found it yesterday and emailed the link to my wife who is up at the ranch..told her we need to watch this over the weekend..

260rem
(.375 member)
14/04/22 05:35 PM

Sane plan I have, I'm renovating atm so I got SFA time spare but once I do I'm going to lay down and watch it with a few glasses of the good stuff.

Louis
(.375 member)
18/04/22 09:25 PM

You're a lucky man Ripp; teaching one's son is the most enjoyable/valuable thing that may happen in a man's life!
Louis

Ripp
(.577 member)
20/04/22 01:49 AM

Quote:

You're a lucky man Ripp; teaching one's son is the most enjoyable/valuable thing that may happen in a man's life!
Louis

Thank you ..and yes, very much agree with you..

We were actually out together yesterday morning doing a few more sets for the pests.. watching him with pride as he did it all on his own..

NOTHING is more important than time with your family..

DarylS
(.700 member)
20/04/22 02:22 AM

Spot-On, guys.

Ripp
(.577 member)
20/04/22 07:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Louis

Thank you ..and yes, very much agree with you..

We were actually out together yesterday morning doing a few more sets for the pests.. watching him with pride as he did it all on his own..

NOTHING is more important than time with your family..

Score..he caught another badger from the set on Monday...pics to follow..

Contact Us NitroExpress.com