lancaster
(.470 member)
14/12/13 03:45 PM
El Jaguar-king of the rain forest

great collection of jaguar pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.390531127634853.89077.281713848516582&type=3
I dont like everyone of them but they are historical documents and as such valuable to understand the world of jaguar hunting. many of the pics are in the book of Tony de Almeida which I recommand as probably the best about jaguar hunting we will ever have
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=236336&an=0&page=0#Post236336

lancaster
(.470 member)
14/12/13 03:49 PM
Re: El Jaguar-king of the rain forest

lancaster
(.470 member)
14/12/13 03:58 PM

lancaster
(.470 member)
14/12/13 04:05 PM

lancaster
(.470 member)
14/12/13 04:10 PM

lancaster
(.470 member)
14/12/13 04:15 PM

lancaster
(.470 member)
14/12/13 04:28 PM

lancaster
(.470 member)
14/12/13 04:31 PM

HuntingSchneider
(.333 member)
15/12/13 04:23 AM

I'm like you. There are some that I don't like. But they are part of history.

In particular, I don't like the trapped cat image.

There is a hell of a variation in cat sizes, isn't there?

lancaster
(.470 member)
15/12/13 09:46 PM

yes, the trapped cat is most ugly but I dont forget its a frontier and most people there have the awareness of frontiersman. up to ww 2 it was also common in africa that the big predators were trapped and shot than by some kind of 8mm/.30 rifle. a ranchman dont have any love for big cats its only a pest in his eyes and the world would be better without.

what I not like also are pics with the jaguar hanging on a tree like a traitor or a thief. its the king of the rain forest and deserve to be treated like a king also when dead. maybe its necessary to hang him on a tree for skinning but I would not take trophy pics there.

lancaster
(.470 member)
15/12/13 09:53 PM

identify one of the vintage pics above

A Jaguar shot in the Rincons - 1902

Arizona Historical Society photo.

A population of Jaguars are slowly beginning to flourish in the South West of the United States. Thought to be an extinct species, they are now known to be returning. Using drug mules routes across the Mexican border they are migrating from the South to the Arizona and New Mexico regions.

Jaguars are the largest native American cat. They once roamed much of the South West, but when ranchers took cattle to the region in the last century, the jaguars were hunted and trapped to extinction in the USA. The last known resident female was killed in 1963 near the Grand Canyon.

http://formfollowsfunctionjournal.tumblr...ns-1902-arizona

larcher
(.416 member)
01/01/14 09:45 AM

Thanks a lot Lancaster

I have a fascination for this big cat.Your pictures are awesome and You strike a chord.
How sturdy are these very big cats. The massive head is wonderful, a pity that some guys decapited their game, a shame.
The rosettes and the hues are very different though the melanistic variety is less appealling.
I was vey tempted to hunt the tigro a couple of years ago. Even though he is protected, I was offered by a marginal PH to hunt one, and the skin being smuggled to France. The trouble wasn't to find a cat, as a great deal of farmers will happily help to be rid of what they consider a pest. The trouble is to break the law and take the risk of smuggling the skin.
Thanks indeed for such a wonderful collection of rare pics and no thanks for fuelling my violent desire to get one.

I haven't read Tony de Almeida book. I have just had an inkling with Capstick "Death in the silent places", and an insight with Jacques Vettier "Jaguars geants du Pantanal"and the best Sasha Siemel " Tigrero" that I have read again and again.

a free book that is stored in my ebooks and that I forgot to read , thanks for reminding me of it

tiger man

lancaster
(.470 member)
02/01/14 02:24 AM

was a temptation, wasnt it?
would have been illegal but goverment and legality are far away where jaguar's live.
when you compare the body of a jaguar and a leopard in a zoological garden side by side the difference is huge. the grandfather of all jaguars must have been some kind of amur leopard but the appearance isnt the same anymore. first impression of a jaguar is that he is one big muscle its like arnold schwarzenegger beside a ballet dancer.

larcher
(.416 member)
06/01/14 06:35 AM

A damn temptation, I am again and again thinking about jaguar hunting.
This cat turns the mighty leopard to a normal cat.
Some male jaguars are high on steroids and maybe too much sturdy according to the standards........fixed by our look on leopard.

Good news, there are still some places where the jaguar can be hunted :

PROTECTION AND POPULATION STATUS
The jaguar is regulated as an Appendix I species under CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species). This means that all international trade in jaguars or their parts is prohibited.
The International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) lists jaguars as Lower Risk, Near-Threatened.
The US Endangered Species Act protects jaguars as Endangered.
Major threats to the species are population fragmentation, deforestation and direct persecution.
Overall the trend in population is a decline.
Any hunting of jaguars is prohibited in Argentina, Colombia, French Guiana, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Suriname, United States, Uruguay and Venezuela.
Hunting of jaguars is restricted to “problem animals” in Brazil, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Mexico and Peru.
Trophy hunting is permitted in Bolivia.
The species has no legal protection in Ecuador or Guyana (IUCN, 2000).

extract from

Jaguar Guidelines for captive management

that offers interesting facts on jaguar, habitat, reproduction, comportement......and husbandry.
Very intructive book though they quote ......Capstick about man eaters.

BAD NEWS
No way to import a skin in the US of A.

Good reading

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
06/01/14 09:13 PM

Quote:

great collection of jaguar pics

Alexander has some good big collections of mostly "borrowed" photos on many good subjects.

With the comments above re a jaguar being a leopard on steriods, are there many accounts of jaguars being great maneaters? ie similar to Corbett's leopards, or other leopards in Asia and Africa. Just interested.

If not, is it merely probably because the incidents are not recorded or collated? Or other?

Thanks.

larcher
(.416 member)
07/01/14 12:50 AM

John

In the "jaguar guidelines" man eating is only related to Peter Capstick "maneaters" who is to take with cartloadsized pinch of salt. No other mention so far.
But I am going to look Sacha Siemel book "Tigrero" and the free book I mentionned "Tiger man" about Sacha S written by Julian Dugid.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com