NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
04/02/20 02:56 AM
Whitetail Safari Rifle? Pedersoli's .72 Caliber Safari Expre

http://namlhunt.com/uploads/3/4/2/2/34220093/published/pedersoli-72-safari-express.jpg
Above - The Pedersoli .72 Caliber Kodiak Safari Express Percussion Double Rifle

Whitetail Safari Rifle?
By Glenn D. May

Associate Field Editor, Montana

When we think of the word “safari” our minds conjure many images. High on this mental list (at least for gun nuts) are double rifles. These twin tube wonders are a surprisingly practical throwback from a time long gone. While firearms technology has advanced to the point that it’s no longer seen as practical to carry around what basically amounts to a second rifle just to ensure a bang when we drop the hammer, there is still an element of practicality to the logic (wisdom?) behind these rifles. They handle and point like shotguns (even if they are heavier), they do ensure that there will indeed be a bang, and if needed the follow up shot can be nearly instant.
Picture
The Business End Of Pedersoli's .72 Caliber Safari Express!
Now, like most gun nuts, I have lusted after a big bore double rifle for most of my life. Also, like many (if not most) I never thought I’d be able to afford one of these dead sexy death dealers. However, I was able to get my slick mitts on a Pedersoli Kodiak Safari Express that, frankly, scratches my double rifle itch very nicely.

I bet that many of you reading this have perhaps considered throwing down the not insubstantial coin to get one of these bad boys for yourself. Like myself, you probably have many questions and concerns about it. You have likely scoured the internet for answers to no avail, I know I did. Well, I have spent the last year getting sweet and intimate with mine and I will do all I can to steer you right.

CONTINUE:
http://namlhunt.com/ml-whitetail-safari....E1tIa0eoG3tc_Lg

tinker
(.416 member)
04/02/20 03:22 AM
Re: Whitetail Safari Rifle? Pedersoli's .72 Caliber Safari Expre

Still we're seeing writers hung up on crossing trajectories relative to side by side double rifles.

DarylS
(.700 member)
04/02/20 05:02 AM

The 3 dram load would kill elk or moose, close up, like perhaps 100yards, but it is a weak load barely making 1,000fps. & also has a fairly high trajectory as well.

My Kodiak .58 regulated with 110gr. 2F and patched balls.
I am glad they did not use slugs in the article, which would have likely diverged by at least a foot at 50yards.

Soft slugs in a SxS is not a good idea due to slug movement off the powder in the non-fired tube, or if/when walking with the muzzle's down.

85lc
(.375 member)
04/02/20 08:13 AM

I had a 58 cal Kodiak that shot fairly well with 120 gr 2F and Hornady Great Plains bullets. Recoil was not harsh, more like a strong push.
I read an article in DGJ about 20 years ago about someone hunting in Africa with a 58 cal Kodiak and decided to get one.
I sold it because I found a 62 cal Barnes (London) that seemed nicer. The Barnes is purely a round ball gun for which I use 3 drams of 2F. However, the Kodiak was a very stout gun.

Huvius
(.416 member)
04/02/20 11:19 AM

Good to see a more recent writeup on the .72cal Kodiak.
Seems like a very reasonable option for deer imo.

I have one of these 12bore rifles which, I hate to admit, I have never shot!
In fact, I sort of bought it to get the conical mold that was part of the deal as I already had one of the Gibbs African Hunter models which I thought the conicals would be more appropriate in. Haven't tried them in that yet either (dammit!)
If anybody in the US is looking for the double, drop me a PM. Can't hunt with it in Colorado anyway.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
04/02/20 06:43 PM

Quote:

Like myself, you probably have many questions and concerns about it. You have likely scoured the internet for answers to no avail, I know I did. Well, I have spent the last year getting sweet and intimate with mine and I will do all I can to steer you right.

Glenn posted a link to this article on the NE Society of Gentlemen Adventurers facebook page.

I queried Glenn as had he never encountered the first and best double rifle forums on the internet?!

And he, not withstanding the quotation above and had been a member here, but left fairly quickly as we were not a friendly forums!!!

I queried this, and he responded, "just mention a .45/70 in a Marlin or Ruger is an adequate dangerous game rifle."

Ha ha, I can guess this sort of comment could get some ire from experienced cape buffalo hunters. Also it is a standard topic of choice by many a troll back some ten plus years. The marketing BS written by a hard cast bullet maker on the topic also does not help.

I also replied with what I often say on such topics. Things like:
- the definition of the word adequate may often differ between people. Particularly among experienced buffalo hunters. With dangerous game no cartridge choice is ideal or perhaps adequate if it can not handle ALL likely encounters, not just an undisturbed broadside shot.
- There is a big difference between a Marlin with its tubular magazine and a Ruger or a Siamese Mauser in .45/70. A Ruger is also a single shot. Again adequacy might be questioned.
- .45/70's have been used on cape buffalo of course. And used well to kill them.
- I was in the Matetsi Safari Area when a client with HHK shot a bull elephant - with a different rifle. He tested out his Marlin with 540 gr flat hard cast projectiles for penetration. The bullets penetrated about a metre. He planned to return the next year to hunt with the Marlin.

Glenn said he might look in here again.

We won't give him a hard time over his comments. Ha ha.

Back to the .72 Pedersoli.

I wanted one of these. But the Green River Works gunshop in Adelaide had a .58 DR Pedersoli Kodiak second hand for sale for an attractive price. So decided to try that one out first. I have only ever used minie style projectiles and they have shot pretty hopeless. Been discussed on NE in the past. ONE DAY I will put some round balls through it and I expect better results. Need to start casting and see if I have a mould already or not. Each barrels shoots them fine, they just do not regulate. A single barrel .58 would be fine.

Its never been a priority, but I do like the flame and smoke of a BP muzzle loader.

I like Glenn's article, and found it enjoyable. Hopefully he does drop in again.

PS While on the topic of dangerous game. I believe I have read in the past about a guy using on the Pedersoli Kodiaks in .72 on buffalo (?). I don't remember the end result?

How do you think a .72 BP ML would perform on buffalo?

From historical recollections, a 12 gauge ML was not considered a good choice for large dangerous game. People did use them, but not always to satisfactory results.

DarylS
(.700 member)
05/02/20 04:57 AM

On that topic:
12 bore round ball on buffalo - I just don't know. If the gun shot well with a huge load, way over what Pedersoli maxes it at, and with a hardened ball - likely, imho, for broadside shots.
Yes - hard (alloyed) or hardened WW or hardened "cast from shot" balls are capable of being shot in a muzzleloader. Hardened slugs cannot be shot accurately in one, pure lead only.

I'm thinking my single English Sporting rifle in .69, with a patched 15 bore (.677") hard ball would suffice - but, it's only a single shot with no fast second shot can be had. It takes 8 to 10
seconds to re-load, using paper ctgs & the .682" hardened ball.

cordite
(.333 member)
09/02/20 09:25 AM

I had a .72 kodiak double. Accurate enough with each barrel but regulation was poor. About 5 inches apart vertically at 50 yards with everything I tried. Fun to play with. I shot mine quite a bit with 140 grains of 2f. With a slightly hardened ball I think it would be adequate for just about anything up close.

Wayne59
(.400 member)
09/02/20 10:06 AM

I have owned three Pedersoli's.The first was a sharps replica and you couldn't ask for a better gun. the second is a 72cal Kodiak. They drilled the nipple holes at the wrong angle and the hammer had to be modified to make it work. The third is a Whitworth and it didn't shoot worth a dam. Sent it in for warranty. It arrived at their shop on Oct. 15th 2019. Haven't seen it since. Will be seventeen weeks this Wednesday. I am about to loose my patience. It was at Lee Shavers shop for six weeks before they even unpacked it. When I call I get nothing but excuses. There will be no more Pedersoli for me.

EDELWEISS
(.375 member)
28/07/20 09:53 AM

I know this is an old thread; but Ive wanted one of these. I had a 58cal. It just didnt fill my lust for a BIG BORE, true it was bigger than anything I had short of my Brown Bess; it just wasnt what I wanted. I have to say Im not impressed with the small powder charge Pedersoli recommends. I was picturing something like 150 grs or maybe 200??? Ive shot well over 100 in my Brown Bess, so 150+ seems doable; but if its only regulated for 80grs Im not sure I see the point.

Recently Ive been looking for one and have come up empty. Im not sure if Pedersoli has discontinued it or if its because of the recent run on the gun industry. For all those reasons I find myself leaning towards a single shot like the Gibbs African Hunter

On a side note, I remember the 45-70 is enough arguments. I never bought into that argument, to the point of thinking it was silly; but then I always subscribed to MORE is MORE and Less is Less.

Huvius
(.416 member)
28/07/20 11:24 AM

I have one I'd sell to you.
Never shot it so cannot comment on how it's regulated but I could take it out and see how she does.
I agree that 150gr would really get a roundball pipin' right along.

DarylS
(.700 member)
28/07/20 11:38 AM

I had a Kodiak .58. With 110gr. 2F GOEX it shot parallel at 50 yards.
That was less than I wanted it to shoot with, so I sold it.

I currently have a model 1886/71 Pedersoli which looks like a million bucks, from the colour cased action to the walnut stockwood to the solid rubber (soft) recoil pad.

I haven't shot it yet but my bro did and it is fairly accurate at 100 meters.

Wayne59
(.400 member)
29/07/20 09:27 AM

My 72cal Pedersoli finally regulated at 140gr of 1f. Twice Pedersoli recomended load. Gas preasure burns my left arm after a dozen shots.

EDELWEISS
(.375 member)
29/07/20 10:02 AM

Quote:

...Gas preasure burns my left arm after a dozen shots.

Can you explain that. Im not sure what you mean. Is there gas leaking? from where?

Wayne59
(.400 member)
30/07/20 07:18 AM

The gas pressure comes from the left nipple. Pedersoli drilled the nipple hole off center and the hammer strikes the nipple at an angle. More of Pedersoli craftsmanship. I will get around to fixing it eventually.

gmay
(.224 member)
10/09/20 03:29 AM

Hello all, I decided to drop in again just to say hello and to meet/network with you folks. I hope you enjoyed the article, I will be doing more on it in the future. Please don't hold my old opinions on the 45-70 as a dangerous game cartridge against me too hard

tinker
(.416 member)
10/09/20 03:41 AM

Excellent

Welcome to NitroExpress!

How has that rifle been treating you?

gmay
(.224 member)
10/09/20 04:11 AM

It's been shooting pretty well. The POI is a bit high but certainly close enough with a 6'oclock hold. I intend to do some more experimentation with it to see if I can get it usable with heavier loads. I've also cast some 7/8 ounce slugs form an inexpensive Lee mould. They are hollow base but under size, so I will have to put a tight veggie fiber wad above them to keep them in place. I thought perhaps they would make a neat lighter load. All in all I'm satisfied but will certainly tinker some more to see what I can get it to do. Part of me even thinks that it would be cool to have one rear sight set for the .715' ball and the other for the 7/8 ounce slug. Honestly though, I don't think the slugs will do well, I'm just curious.

DarylS
(.700 member)
10/09/20 09:50 AM

Pedersoli's SxS rifle barrels are joined together in a jig. They are not regulated in any way. Regulation would mean shooting them and adjusting the barrels using wedges, etc.
They do NOT do that.
The 80 gr. Max load is a litigation relief designation, pure and simple.
I would expect roughly 1,400fps. to 1,450fps. from a 150gr.2F load in a 12 bore with 30" tubes.
Breech pressure should be in the 8,000psi range. That is just a guess.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com