lancaster
(.470 member)
28/10/19 04:47 AM
what to do with a derringer pistol

different things sort and put away under "miscellaneous" over the years like a cheap 45 caliber derringer pistol replica made in spain sometimes.
in the end it have no practical use

but you can shoot a raccon in the trap

27 grains bp under 45 roundball

so nothing is completly useless

93x64mm
(.416 member)
28/10/19 06:45 AM
Re: what to do with a derringer pistol

It certainly works Lancaster!!!!

DarylS
(.700 member)
28/10/19 09:02 AM

I have one something like that, also in .45. I used about the same load as well. With it, I shot a 2"x4" pine board at about 10 feet. The ball bounced back and hit me in the chest. It did make a dent almost 1/2" deep, though.
It appears your Derringer's barrel is about 1/2" or more, longer than mine.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
28/10/19 07:18 PM

Quote:

I have one something like that, also in .45. I used about the same load as well. With it, I shot a 2"x4" pine board at about 10 feet. The ball bounced back and hit me in the chest. It did make a dent almost 1/2" deep, though.

A 1/2 dent in Daryl! I am surprised, Daryl is a man of steel and bullets normally bounce off him!

BTW Ouch.

I once shot myself in the eye with a ricochet. It turned out not to be a pellet but a seed from the paddy mellon I had shot with sparrow shot.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
28/10/19 07:20 PM

What to do with one?

I know someone who had a more modern one, made into a belt buckle. Not a replica derringer, but a real one. Handy when needed.

In Kiwiland.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
28/10/19 07:21 PM

Cool little handguns, lancaster and Daryl.

DarylS
(.700 member)
29/10/19 04:28 AM

1/2" dent in me - LOL - did make a bruise, though.

lancaster
(.470 member)
29/10/19 05:42 AM

Quote:

my barrel is 75 mm long

had a similar experience when trying the thing first. shot at 1 m on a dry pine block. the ball make a 10 mm deep hole, bonce back and brush my bags.

BUT, to make loading simple I size the round ball in the .440 die before so paper patched it was easy to load into the barrel. this was a mistake!

I load the pistol again- 27 grains bp and the oversized ball with aditional paper patch ( in fact the case) was hammered with brutal force into the barrel. this time shoot on a softer block of dry spruce again at 1 m distance.
the .45 roundball made 38 mm into the wood where a 22 lr bullet would make maybe 100 mm. compare the .22 bullet with the .45 bullet and you get an imagination of the bullet energie that works there.

year ago I made some simple paper cartridge and storage them into an old jam jar. only the powder and the ball wrapped in a piece of paper. for loading the lower end will be strip off and the powder will be pour down the barrel, than the bullet still in the rest of the paper case is ram into the muzzle. you know the procedure!
the bp in the paper cartridges is still fine because the jar is tight.

DarylS
(.700 member)
29/10/19 11:13 AM

Interesting, the penetration I got was approximately 10 to 11 1/2mm. That was with a cloth-patched .445" round ball.
I only fired the gun twice. The first time I missed the 2x4.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com