Kebco
(.300 member)
10/09/07 09:44 AM
BRNO Mod 21 and ZG47 questions

Sorry for posting about a non-Mauser made gun but thought I had the best chance of finding the answer here.

First: Do the double square bridge versions of the BRNO 21 and Zg47 use the same rings as the current CZ 550?

Second: Most of the Mod 21's I see have a round action and safety on the left side of the bolt. Recently I have seen two model M21 small ring guns, both dated 1951 with a ZG47 type safety and double bridge, they both had shotgun type trigger guards and double set triggers. Is this a common varation or something scarce?

Thanks for your help

xausa
(.400 member)
10/09/07 10:55 PM
Re: BRNO Mod 21 and ZG47 questions

My information has it that all of the BRNO models with integral scope mount bases use the same size rings. I have Model 21's both with and without integral bases. I suspect the 21's which you saw with the ZG47 type safeties were transitional models, although I imagine the ZG47 bolt sleeves would fit either bolt.

Winchester had a fair amount of carry over in the transition from the Model 54 to the Model 70, and I understand some Model 70's were assembled with barrels marked Model 54. Similarly, there was a transitional period after WW II in which Model 70's appeared with the "clover leaf" tang pattern, but with reversed safeties.

Where are you located, and where did you see the 21's with ZG47 safeties? We see mighty few of them at all in my neck of the woods.

Kebco
(.300 member)
12/09/07 10:47 AM

xausa, thanks for the information, you asked where I found the rifles. Although I am in Maryland I found them both in Europe, one is here now, the other will follow in about a month.

Yochanan
(.375 member)
13/09/07 08:02 AM

Kebco,
19 mm wide milled in dovetails for M-21/22, ZG-47, ZKK 600/601/602 and CZ 550 series.

It is quite common, you will find M-21/22 with bolt, safety and trigger from ZG-47.

/Johan

xausa
(.400 member)
18/10/07 05:06 AM

I removed the claw mount scope, rings and bases from my BRNO 22F 6.5X57 and passed them on to a fellow member who wanted them more than I.

I then took the BRNO rings from my ZKK 602 and tried them on the integral bases on the 22F. They fit perfectly (with a little coaxing) but the bolt handle will not clear the ocular lens of the scope. I obviously need higher rings, but what kind? Does anyone have experience with this situation?

I bought the 602 in Germany in 1970, along with the rings, so the original source is no longer available to me.

farshot
(.300 member)
09/11/07 03:14 AM

There are a variety of heights and ring styles available for the 19 mm dovetail. BTW -- the scope works and looks great, I like it a lot on my 8x60S model 21H -- i will send pictures to you when it is all back together.

Warne makes a good solid ring for the 19 mm dovetail - 30 mm or 1 inch, QD or not , in various heights. (Brownells sells them) Same as Lynx out of Australia -- do a google and look at their list, they are good rings / bases and come in all sorts of flavours. Lynx is also sold by B-Square out of Texas, but they usually do not have quite as extensive selection of BRNO rings in their line as direct from Lynx.

BRNO themselves makes excellent rings (although a bit pricy -they are ballistic tough) in various heights for the 19 mmm dovetail. They are actually relatively common in Canada.

Although Leupold and other makes have 19 mm dovetail rings - they do not usually have the heights available that you may need.

The good thing about BRNO / CZ rings and bases is that the lengths of the one piece bases are standard for each of the action lengths (more or less) and for the larger calibers, they are all the same 19 mm from day 1 to today. Once you have a set of rings - you know they will fit all 19 mm dovetails. Some come without bases, some with. Of course you may want a base to gain some height.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com