TN_Longhunter
(.224 member)
27/04/18 12:55 AM
Caliber question on Mauser NOW WITH PHOTOS

Won two sporting Mausers from an auction a few months back. Work has kept me from really looking them over. Poor description on the pair (sold as a pair) with incorrect calibers. I tried to post on one of them yesterday but had trouble posting photos due to the recent Photobucket changes.

So, first, what is a good hosting site so I can get some photos up?

Second, one built on a 98 action was listed as a .219 zipper. Based on the popularity of the .22 H.P. in Mausers I was expecting it to be that instead. Bottom of barrel marked

5.5 mm

I know the metric designation for 22 HP is 5.5x52mm so I will assume that to be correct until I can pull a chamber cast. All I have are fired brass and it doesn't want to chamber. Could just be blown out cases.

The rifle is marked on barrel" Otto Brock. Berlin"

Thanks [image]Mauser 22 HP by Donald Spires, on Flickr[/image] [image]Mauser HP barrel marking by Donald Spires, on Flickr[/image] [image]Mauser HP Maker Mark by Donald Spires, on Flickr[/image] [image]Mauser HP caliber by Donald Spires, on Flickr[/image]

DarylS
(.700 member)
27/04/18 01:38 AM
Re: Caliber question on Mauser

https://www.flickr.com/
I think Ripp uses flickr.

https://imgbb.com/

I have an account with one of these - can't seem to figure it out - might be a different one at that. LOL

TN_Longhunter
(.224 member)
27/04/18 02:22 AM

Thanks Daryl,

Tried both, set up accounts but cant seem to get them to post correctly. The search continues.

kuduae
(.400 member)
27/04/18 03:34 AM

Longhunter, the rifle you describe was proofed 839 = August 1939 by the Zella-Mehlis proofhouse , ledger entry 245 of that month. It was made for Otto Bock, Kronenstrasse 7, Berlin, founded 1883, existed until WW2. Otto Bock is best known as the inventor of the 9.3x62 in 1905, but sold many smaller bore rifles on Mauser and Haenel actions in .25 Rem and 5.6x52R aka .22 Savage HP too.
The diameter marked by the proofhouses up to March 1940, here 5.5 mm, is not part of the cartridge designation nor the groove or bullet diameter, but the narrower bore or land diameter, marked in .1 mm increments. 5.5 mm and the maximum case length 52 mm is correct for the 5.6x52R aka .22 HP, CIP min. bore 5.55 mm = .218", min. groove 5.75 mm = .226", max bullet 5.76 mm = .227".
There are usually some very slight differences between imperial (inch) SAAMI and metric CIP dimensions due to different measuring habits, especially in pre-WW2 and pre-SAAMI (1929) cartridge and chamber dimensions. So try again with a factory cartridge or a full length resized case.

TN_Longhunter
(.224 member)
27/04/18 06:08 AM

Kuduae,

All that from a little stamping on the barrel. Thank you very much. If I can get a photo hosting site to work for me I'll post some photos. Very nice rifle. Has the seemly required claw scope mounts with no scope and missing the front sight post insert. I think I have some 22 HP in a box of cartridges.

paradox_
(.375 member)
27/04/18 09:15 AM

TN..Try "picr.de" for posting pictures, easy to use and its free.... simply chose file, upload, copy, and then paste via the " image" tab here......looking forward to seeing the Mauser

Best
Eric

paradox_
(.375 member)
27/04/18 09:33 AM

Kuduae

Was Otto Bock later of Franffurt, or is this a different Bock??

Best
Eric

[image][/image]

Huvius
(.416 member)
27/04/18 10:16 AM

The Frankfurt Bock was Carl Bock.

They rebarreled and scoped my Johann Springer double rifle.
Both are engraved. “Carl Bock Frankfurt Main” on the barrels and “Carl Bock Frankfurt M” on the scope.

paradox_
(.375 member)
27/04/18 01:06 PM

Thanks Huvius

kuduae
(.400 member)
27/04/18 05:40 PM

I don't know if the Frankfurt on Main Bocks are related to Otto Bock, Berlin. At least, Waffen – Bock, founded by Carl Bock in 1897, is still in business and owned by the family.
See http://www.waffen-bock.de/index.en.html

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
27/04/18 06:36 PM

Quote:

I tried to post on one of them yesterday but had trouble posting photos due to the recent Photobucket changes.

So, first, what is a good hosting site so I can get some photos up?

As Paradox advised, try this; Picr.de is very rasy to use and no cost. Follow instructions on link below:
How To Post Photos

Kuduae is 'the Man' when it comes to identifying European arms and their proofmarks, other features, histories.

Here is the Mauser scope mounting offered by Stoeger in 1939:

Here are just some of the available chamberings in 1939:

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
01/05/18 06:51 PM

Quote:

As Paradox advised, try this; Picr.de is very rasy to use and no cost. Follow instructions on link below:
How To Post Photos

Typo on above; should read "Picr.de is very easy to use..."

Wanabebwana
(.300 member)
11/05/18 06:21 AM

Thanks for the pics Longhunter.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com