Nailcreek
(.300 member)
30/06/14 03:44 AM
Classic English Rifle Stock Style - Opinions Needed

As a Rigby is rather out of my financial league and is likely to remain so, I've started a project building a 275 Rigby-like rifle using a large ring 98 action. While the metal parts are "relatively" easy to come by (barrel, sights, bolt handle, etc.), I'm sort of stuck trying to find a stock which replicates the feel and spirit of those early sporters for a reasonable cost. I picked up a sporter stock from ebay at a very low cost, but after taking off the cheek-piece and changing the radius of the grip, it just doesn't look right to me when compared to photos - too shotgun like with a high comb.

Stock photos ... the first is what I'm trying to modify ...

I've been in touch with Walnut Grove Gunstocks who have the old Great American Gunstock patterns. They've shared the following:

And these are from Great American Gunstock ... now Walnut Grove - recent photo.

British Express Rifle Pattern(from the defunct GAG web page)

British Stalking Rifle Pattern(from the defunct GAG web page)

I would greatly appreciate any feedback or suggestions from the Rigby experts here as to which looks closest to a early Rigby rifle ... to give me something to work with.

Thanks much!

Igorrock
(.400 member)
30/06/14 03:56 AM
Re: Classic English Rifle Stock Style - Opinions Needed

IMO you could find very good stock model from this topic:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....e=0&fpart=1

VonGruff
(.400 member)
30/06/14 07:51 AM

Take a picture you have saved (you do have a saved folder of all the great rifles on many of these threads don't you?) and take it to a printer shop and get it scaled up till you have the LOP you prefer and cut a stock blank to this pattern. This 350 Rigby is not a bad place to start

rigbymauser
(.400 member)
30/06/14 08:09 AM

..Nice slant box magazine .400/350 NE.

xausa
(.400 member)
30/06/14 08:27 AM

Actually a .350 Rigby Magnum built by Lon Paul for me, using an original Rigby single square bridge slant box action and stock.

Deutsche_Vortrekker
(.333 member)
30/06/14 08:31 AM

Quote:

Take a picture you have saved (you do have a saved folder of all the great rifles on many of these threads don't you?) and take it to a printer shop and get it scaled up till you have the LOP you prefer and cut a stock blank to this pattern. This 350 Rigby is not a bad place to start

Now that is a beautiful rifle

HuntingSchneider
(.333 member)
30/06/14 09:17 AM

Quote:

I have just had a little loinal stirring.

tinker
(.416 member)
30/06/14 09:58 AM

The 350 is nice, but bloated compared to a 275

This rifle from VintageDoubles via gunsinternational...

My preference would be for the earlier, even slimmer straigt-grip version.
I'll dig for an image.

underlever
(.300 member)
30/06/14 09:59 AM

I have a very accurate profile tracing taken off a original early 275 Rigby that I have access to. If you would like I can copy it, fold it up and into the post she will go. Just pm me with postal details.

tinker
(.416 member)
30/06/14 10:00 AM

Here we go.
From our archives, a rifle from Don S' collection...

tinker
(.416 member)
30/06/14 10:01 AM

Underlever, I'd like a copy.
Check your PM

Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
30/06/14 10:59 AM

That 350 Rigby actually causes a GREAT deal of loinal stirring.

Waidmannsheil.

Deutsche_Vortrekker
(.333 member)
30/06/14 02:30 PM

The unfinished stock shown here in the first post is much too straight in comb to heel for a British type stock for a Mauser. My Rigby has almost 2" of drop in the heel from the CL of the bore .American designed stocks are very straight because most Americans shoot mostly from the bench.A too straight stock can get you killed when an animal is charging as a shooter as he lowers his barrel at a charging animal
cant keep his head down to see the sights.Try it sometime. Pondoro Taylor and J Hunter almost lost their lives finding this out .Jeff Cooper at Gunsite had a charging lion scenario where he noticed all the African rifles with little or no drop in the heel always shot high over the head of the raoidly charging lion ,therefore becoming theoretical lion food.

458Win
(.333 member)
30/06/14 02:32 PM

Quote:

This 350 Rigby is not a bad place to start

A masterful understatement

VonGruff
(.400 member)
01/07/14 12:48 PM

Dorleac's 275

More pics here http://forums.nitroexpress.com/printthre...amp;type=thread

xausa
(.400 member)
01/07/14 09:04 PM

Quote:

The unfinished stock shown here in the first post is much too straight in comb to heel for a British type stock for a Mauser. My Rigby has almost 2" of drop in the heel from the CL of the bore .American designed stocks are very straight because most Americans shoot mostly from the bench.A too straight stock can get you killed when an animal is charging as a shooter as he lowers his barrel at a charging animal
cant keep his head down to see the sights.Try it sometime. Pondoro Taylor and J Hunter almost lost their lives finding this out .Jeff Cooper at Gunsite had a charging lion scenario where he noticed all the African rifles with little or no drop in the heel always shot high over the head of the raoidly charging lion ,therefore becoming theoretical lion food.

I beg to differ with this proposition. This is my wildcat .505 SRE which I used in Africa on three different trips and took a black rhino, three elephant and five cape buffalo with. As you can see, it actually has negative drop at heel. However, years of International Skeet shooting had thoroughly accustomed me to this kind of stock, so that even in tight situations it never failed to shoot where I wanted it to.

The British stocking system is based on the premise that the shooter is taking a much more upright position than the one I use. I tend to lean into my heavy rifle, much the same way as I lean into my shotguns. Presumably Taylor and Hunter were shooting rifles which they were unaccustomed to and this can lead to disaster, no matter what the stock dimensions.

tinker
(.416 member)
02/07/14 01:00 AM

I bet these fellows didn't argue!

Igorrock
(.400 member)
02/07/14 01:12 AM

IMO big drop in the heel is for shooting with open sights. Negative comb angle is better when shooting with scope and big recoil caliber.

Deutsche_Vortrekker
(.333 member)
02/07/14 02:42 AM

Quote:

I bet these fellows didn't argue!

It doesn't mean the rifle cant kill , it just means on charging very close range shots it is impossible to keep your head down on the sights resulting in misses or high shooting.it is a simple matter of geometry and physics . This has been substantiated by many big game hunters and also researched and taught by Jeff Cooper at Gunsire school.

Deutsche_Vortrekker
(.333 member)
02/07/14 02:44 AM

Quote:

Dorleac's 275

More pics here http://forums.nitroexpress.com/printthre...amp;type=thread

A very well designed stock

xausa
(.400 member)
02/07/14 07:22 AM

[quote It doesn't mean the rifle cant kill , it just means on charging very close range shots it is impossible to keep your head down on the sights resulting in misses or high shooting.it is a simple matter of geometry and physics . This has been substantiated by many big game hunters and also researched and taught by Jeff Cooper at Gunsire school.

Well, I certainly can't pit my limited experience against Jeff Cooper and "many big game hunters", but this guy was definitely charging, although not at me, and I hit him with my first shot at about ten yards. The entrance wound is clearly visible on his neck. I was aiming for his shoulder, but he evidently spied me and put on the brakes just as I shot. (I also hit him two more times on the other side when he swapped ends and retreated, plus one up his behind as he disappeared into the brush.)

Nailcreek
(.300 member)
02/07/14 12:48 PM

Wow ... I have to admit ... I don't anticipate being charged by a whitetail, but you never know

I deeply appreciate everyone's feedback and knowledge - it's extremely helpful and valuable.

I'm going to go to Plan B with the stock, and try and find something with more drop in the comb, using the Dorleac style or what Underlever is kind enough to send. I'm only going to do this once, and so want to do it "right".

Dumprat
(.300 member)
02/07/14 01:22 PM

Be aware. The large drop in the comb is hard to master if you are a shotgunner. The European head back cheek off the wood style of shooting.

Put your face down on the comb where it should be and you will be looking at the back of the bolt.

Have to wonder why nobody else picked up on the fact the xuasa's rifle has the high comb that slopes away from your face under recoil to avoid the "blackout" from the punch in the face of a more traditional stock shape?

tinker
(.416 member)
02/07/14 02:26 PM

Xausa's cartridge is the full 2150fps monty.
I didn't miss a thing!

Dumprat
(.300 member)
02/07/14 02:59 PM

Yes I imagine it would be a puncher. What weight of bullet?

I like the Lyman peep sight as well.

tinker
(.416 member)
02/07/14 03:26 PM

570gr bullet with 90gr powder.
460wby parent case.

See Here For More Detail

Cheers
Tinker

Igorrock
(.400 member)
02/07/14 04:22 PM

Quote:

Have to wonder why nobody else picked up on the fact the xuasa's rifle has the high comb that slopes away from your face under recoil to avoid the "blackout" from the punch in the face of a more traditional stock shape?

Maybe you donīt think what you read...?

Quote:

Negative comb angle is better when shooting with scope and big recoil caliber.

I mostly shoot so that my cheeks lower end rests over the cheek piece so scope could be quite high.

Deutsche_Vortrekker
(.333 member)
02/07/14 10:43 PM

Dont get me wrong ,every shooter is different and therefore need slightly different stock dimensions.I am only relaying information I have read and observed on rifles used at close range against rapidly charging targets.As Cooper said in normal hunting circumstances this would never come into play BUT as Cooper comments on an African or Alaskan stopping rifle it most certainly may .Dont take my word for it ,try different stock styles yourself .A stock that can fit you in any scenario is the one to choose.The first time I tried this at Coopers school I was amazed at how difficult to impossible it was to keep the sights on a rapidly charging target with this type of stock ;the more I lowered my rifle barrel the harder it was to keep my head on the sights with the too high straight stock.

Dumprat
(.300 member)
02/07/14 11:43 PM

^i find this a little difficult to swallow, when most shotgun stocks don't have nearly that much drop and only the fit and front bead to align sight. Given the groups some people can achieve with slugs and their use as short range stoppers for dangerous situations one has to question the old wisdom of the English stock shape.

And Igorrock you are from Finland it is no surprise you shot European style.

Deutsche_Vortrekker
(.333 member)
03/07/14 12:33 AM

Quote:

^i find this a little difficult to swallow, when most shotgun stocks don't have nearly that much drop and only the fit and front bead to align sight. Given the groups some people can achieve with slugs and their use as short range stoppers for dangerous situations one has to question the old wisdom of the English stock shape.

And Igorrock you are from Finland it is no surprise you shot European style.

Field shotguns have a lot of drop in their stocks as do British style Mauser sporters ?? My 275 Rigby has about 2" of drop in the heel from the centerline of the bore ; for me perfect.

xausa
(.400 member)
03/07/14 08:31 AM

Quote:

The first time I tried this at Coopers school I was amazed at how difficult to impossible it was to keep the sights on a rapidly charging target with this type of stock ;the more I lowered my rifle barrel the harder it was to keep my head on the sights with the too high straight stock. /quote]

This is the reason that some authorities advocate going down on one knee when facing a charge. This makes it unnecessary to lower the rifle barrel as the charging animal approaches and gives the animal a smaller target to charge at. It is also a steadier platform to shoot from.

Of course, with a charging elephant the problem is reversed: the point of aim is constantly changing in an upward direction.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com