Huvius
(.416 member)
02/12/08 12:53 PM
Extended top tang

Has anybody here seen or own a mauser actioned rifle with the top tang extending down the top of the grip?
Was this ever an original option from any English maker?

mickey
(.416 member)
02/12/08 01:51 PM
Re: Extended top tang

I have a Marholt that has an extended tang to accomodate a tang safety.

m4220
(.300 member)
02/12/08 02:00 PM

My Franz Sodia 257 Roberts on a 98 action has both tangs extended with a tang safety as well, a very neat treatment.

m4220

Caprivi
(.375 member)
02/12/08 02:47 PM

I had a Anton Sodia M98 .30'06 with extended top tang to accomidate the tang safe.

Huvius
(.416 member)
02/12/08 03:54 PM

I suppose these were all modified military Mauser actions done by the makers - not a factory Mauser option (?)
I know of an English Rigby (SB magnum action) with an extended top tang and was wondering if this could be an original Rigby modification.
If I recall correctly, I have seen this on an H&H built bolt gun once, but it went over the comb as on many of their doubles. This Rigby tang doesn't go that far and doesn't have a safety or anything else on it.

pjaln
(.375 member)
02/12/08 04:17 PM

i have seen this on belgium ,french, italian more than english , holland may have used it as part of there takedowns as reinforcment , when the whole barrelled action comes out of the stock , i seen some with an extened tang but for the most part i wouldnt associate this with english styling ,at least not on bolt guns...paul

peter
(removed)
05/12/08 04:23 AM

gentelmen pictures please

peter

szihn
(.400 member)
05/12/08 04:58 AM

I can't say if it was done in England. I have done some in the days when I worked on Mausers.
(I do only muzzleloaders these days)
It's not all that hard to do, but it takes a lot of time.
The "secret" is to draw it out in 1-1 scale on paper. Take pains and get it drawn perfectly.
Keep in mind it has to be shaped so it can go into the wood "straight down" as that's how the action has to go in.

Weld up your extension and bend and shape it to overlay your drawing perfectly. Again, get it as perfect as you can. Take time with your files and get it right.
Inlet it into the wood next.

(note....You inlet the action first, so you have a mortis for it to go in BEFORE you extend the tang. The extended tang is done as an "add on" so you have everything done in the inletting of the action before you start work on the tang.)

Once you have the tang inlet you file wood and metal together for a perfect fit on the surface.
Now, the last thing you do is cut the slot for the safety and make the button. When it's done you polish everything up to 400 grit, wood and metal together.
You then need only make a heavy spring wire bar to attach to the safety of the trigger and inlet the wire and clearance for the button under your new long tang.
Presto.......custom look with tang safety, ready to blue and engrave.

dirtyjim
(.224 member)
08/12/08 10:27 AM

i'm doing one right now. i used 1/8" thick flatbar. like szihn said its easiest to inlet the action first then make a template of the wrist curves & bend the tang to follow the same lines. i still have to make a bushing for the rear action screw & weld up the hole.

Huvius
(.416 member)
08/12/08 02:35 PM

This is the Rigby I was asking about.

pjaln
(.375 member)
08/12/08 03:24 PM

huvius. i have never seen one on an early rigby but i have seen an extended tang for a saftey as mike scwandt has one on his site right now its a 7x61 S+H , the pic you show looks like an early 350 magnum is it ? i,m sure it could have been added for a customer as the guns were built to order,...contact paul roberts at jeffery rifles he,d most likely have the answer.......paul

Huvius
(.416 member)
08/12/08 03:45 PM

It is a .350 Magnum.
It is in the upcoming Holt's auction.
I am trying to decide whether it is worth going after. I have a soft spot for old magnum mausers.

szihn
(.400 member)
09/12/08 02:52 AM

Hello Dirtyjim.

I see how you are doing the work. the shorter tang is nice and elegant and as functional as any. The ones I have done come up over the nose of the comb and screw into the top of the comb like the tangs on some old Tennessee muzzleloaders, and also like the 'Baker tangs" on some doubles you see.
The extension over the top does nothing to add strength, but it's what the customers wanted.

pjaln
(.375 member)
11/12/08 01:30 PM

huvius, i checked out holts that 350 is nice,,, real original the way i like them , i have a 400/350 that is completly original , never refinished or reblue built around 1908 a step ring magnum,, the 416 at holts looks like it worth going after if anything what the gig with getting it over here ??...paul

Huvius
(.416 member)
11/12/08 04:50 PM

I'll find out soon enough if my bids were adequate.
Should be no problem getting mag Mausers into the US.
I have already spoken to a broker and the US customs office - sounds pretty straight forward really.
I like them in real "used" condition too - not abused, just looking like they've saved their owner's ass many times over!

pjaln
(.375 member)
11/12/08 11:26 PM

huvius,i like the fact that you dont have to be to careful with them as far as handling goes i have always treated my griffins ,hoffmans efc. with kid gloves seems like every nick on one of those rifles hurts the value more ....btw does a CURIO RELIC LIC. get those guns back in the states....paul

Huvius
(.416 member)
12/12/08 01:23 AM

I think a C&R will do it, but they still must go through customs.
I live near Denver, which is a port of entry, so I found a local customs broker with an FFL that can recieve it. That way, once it is cleared, I just go down and pick it up without having to ship to another FFL. If you are not near a port of entry, the broker should be able to ship to you on your C&R license.

dirtyjim
(.224 member)
12/12/08 02:21 PM

here are a few more extended tang mausers.
500 jeffery with extended top & bottom tangs

300 & 375 H&H matching pair with exteneded top & bottom tangs

Huvius
(.416 member)
12/12/08 03:04 PM

Well, I didn't get any guns from holt's.
The .350 went for 2000GBP. Pretty low, but I guess I was too chicken to bid real money.
dirtyjim, I do like the guns you posted as far as the tangs go, but those Argentines sure have tall rear bridges! I have seen this done to a lot of guns, where the bridge looks really tall compared to a genuine SB. Excellent action though and looks to be very well executed.

pjaln
(.375 member)
12/12/08 11:52 PM

huvius ,, that 350 would have cost you about 6500usd$ when all said and done i believe ? ditto on the square bridges....paul

Huvius
(.416 member)
13/12/08 02:30 AM

Hammer price with buyers premium would be roughly $3600.
Allowing a $1000 for import, customs, broker etc. I figured less than $5K all in.
This could be a doable proposition noting that most original SB Mag Mausers on the US market are priced way high (IMO).
This one did look a little beat though, and not being there to inspect the gun is a little scary - even if I think the price is reasonable.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com