DPhillips
(.375 member)
22/12/06 03:16 PM
Duane Wiebe 500 Jeffery Take-down

Here's a few pictures of a custom made takedown 500 Jeffery by Duane Wiebe. The rifle began life as a standard length Mauser, made in Berlin.

Another picture of it with Duane's Tanzanian Cape Buffalo

bulldog563
(.400 member)
22/12/06 05:14 PM
Re: Duane Wiebe 500 Jeffery Take-down

Dave,

Glad you put up pictures of your rifle. She's a beauty. Does the rifle return to zero 100% of the time after it has been taken down?

DPhillips
(.375 member)
22/12/06 06:12 PM

Yes. Return to zero is spot on, though I haven't tested that a bunch. I don't take it down to put it away very often, mostly incidental, though I've yet to readjust the irons or the scope.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
22/12/06 06:21 PM

That is such a beautiful rifle, mate!

Always makes me lustful when I see it.

And a great big bore calibre too.

Yochanan
(.375 member)
23/12/06 10:54 AM

Magnificent rifle!! Great to see that it gets to draw blood and isn't just a “cabinet” conversation piece

Cheers
Johan

DPhillips
(.375 member)
23/12/06 11:01 AM

Make no mistake, this rifle was built as a hunting rifle not a vault queen, even though the work on is just flat out astounding to me. Duane built this rifle for himself to hunt to take on his Tanzania hunt.

Should I ever wish to have another big bore rifle built, at whatever the difficulty, I couldn't think of anyone better, at any price, to turn the job over to than Duane. He is an absolute master at the trade and art of fine and functional custom gunmaking.

AdamTayler
(.375 member)
23/12/06 01:21 PM

Very nice Dave. Potent Dall medicine.

DPhillips
(.375 member)
24/12/06 11:23 AM

Adam,
I'm thinking that might be a little much for those glacier ghosts, just a little.

I have tried and tried to take some more detailed pictures, especially of the metal work, but they always turn out terrible. It's too dim, with our limited daylight now, to take any natural light photos of the rifle, but I'll try to get some this summer detailing some of Duane's incredible metalwork.

It's too often that a nicely figured piece of wood, or wonderfully executed checkering that catches our attention, but honestly, it is the metal work that will continue to hold our appreciation and respect long after the "new" wears off. A nice piece of timber means nothing if the rifle does not function the way it needs to in each and every scenerio.

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
29/12/06 07:16 PM

Magnificent is too mild a word.

Congratulations!

500grains
(.416 member)
30/12/06 03:32 AM

When this gun was first offered for sale for $8K (pre-raffle), I almost bought it. And I keep kicking myself for missing the chance.

mickey
(.416 member)
01/01/07 11:54 PM

I wish you would stop posting pictures of that rifle. It is simpley gorgeous and your pictures make me very envious.

Omnivorous_Bob
(.333 member)
03/01/07 03:30 PM

I'm with Mickey. I was in the final ten on that drawing and cringe everytime I think of what might have been. I love the stock work. Definitely a modern classic on THE classic action, in an awesome caliber (when, as in this case, done right), with the wood, pad, etc styled perfectly. It is good to know its found a good home!

Bob (ps: envy aside, it is ok to show more pictures from time to time, hopefully with moose, bear, buff, etc )

DPhillips
(.375 member)
15/01/07 05:04 PM

Guys,
Thanks for the nice words. Of course, none of them are actually directed at me. That rifle came to me by direct luck. Duane deserves all accolades. It was his rifle, his concept, his craftsmanship. I am hoping he will be in Reno so we can touch base with each other in a few weeks.

Dave

bruised
(.224 member)
21/02/07 05:30 PM

I'm curious about the specs. of that rifle. What does that rifle weigh, what's the mag capacity and the barrel length?

Todd

DPhillips
(.375 member)
24/02/07 03:58 PM

Quote:

I'm curious about the specs. of that rifle. What does that rifle weigh, what's the mag capacity and the barrel length?

Todd

Weight: 10 lbs 2 ounces

Magazine capacity: 3+1 (staggered)

Barrel Length: 23" (Krieger 1:20)

Warthog_Fixer
(.224 member)
24/04/07 07:51 PM

That is an absoulutly stunning rifle! ...Pic saved to file~

3sixbits
(.224 member)
12/07/07 12:59 AM

When I looked at the pictures, I thought that's my old J. Rigby 7X57 take down.

I do miss that rifle, and enjoy seeing it's twin. Nice looking rifle rack also.

DPhillips
(.375 member)
17/07/07 03:25 PM

Thanks, but that is Duane's rifle rack... Wish it were mine, but it isn't.

ForrestB
(.224 member)
08/08/07 01:54 PM

Duane's been working on another takedown 500 Jeffery for himself. He's been SLOWLY making progress but he's sent me a couple of photos. Here's one photo of the butt end of the rifle and one photo of the grip checkering.

Notice he's using "flat checkering" on this rifle. Also he used alkynet root on this stock to get that reddish color again. I really like the look of this stock and I can't wait to see some more photos that show the metal work better.

400NitroExpress
(.400 member)
10/08/07 03:20 AM

First decent checkering I've seen from an American. Good pistol hand shape. The nose of the comb doesn't even look ridiculously thick. Proper length fore-end, although it could be thinned a little. We may finally have an American that can make a decent stock.

DPhillips
(.375 member)
20/08/07 04:13 PM

Forrest,
That 500 looks great. Love the flat checkering. Duane is a master at the trade, a true artist.

I made sure that Hagn is using the flat checkering technique on my singleshot. I really like that little scroll border at the bottom Duane did. Talk about attention to detail...

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
18/05/11 01:46 AM

Everytime I come again to this rifle I have to look at this beautiful rifle again.

458Win
(.333 member)
18/05/11 06:51 AM

Those photos are great. That is one mighty fine looking rifle, thanks for sharing

ozhunter
(.400 member)
18/05/11 09:36 PM

Quote:

Notice he's using "flat checkering" on this rifle. Also he used alkynet root on this stock to get that reddish color again. I really like the look of this stock and I can't wait to see some more photos that show the metal work better.

I like this, but then again most of Dwane's rifles are as good as they come.

gryphon
(.450 member)
12/04/17 07:17 PM

I have Duane Weibe bottom metal in my 300 H+H,its a start!
Although a million miles from a full rifle by the man.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
12/04/17 07:22 PM

JG,

If I remember rightly this rifle was a raffle prize and the initial owner, at least won it as the prize.

Might be wrong, was more than a decade ago. Can't remember if DPhillips was the winner? I think he was.

If I am wrong and he is still around sometimes, saw a post not long ago, he can correct me sternly.

FlatTop45
(.300 member)
13/04/17 04:52 PM

What a magnificent and inspired rifle. Every time I see photos of it, I am reminded of an article by Jim Carmichael, the shooting editor of Outdoor Life magazine. It was about big bore magazine rifles. I remember that there was a black and white photo of a beautiful, Fred Wells custom rifle in the same style as this Duane Wiebe .500 Jeffery. If I recall correctly, that Wells rifle was built on a Magnum Mauser action and was chambered for Wells' own wildcat, the .510 Wells. That article, and especially that photo, began my love and fascination with big bore bolt actions.

That was back in 1978 and I was 12....

Dave, thank you for posting the photos and for the trip down memory lane.

And Gryphon, thank you for reviving this thread!

J

Contact Us NitroExpress.com