NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
24/03/19 06:26 PM
John Rigby 3of25 The NEW "Original" "Corbett" 98 .275 Rigby

The John Rigby & Co released a number of a series of photos and some commentary on recent rifles they have made.

Some excellent rifles, mauser and rising bites. Some heavily embellished, some very vintage, a mixture. I hope the gentlemen of NE enjoy these over the next few weeks.

Gun 3 of 25 may look like a modest antique magazine rifle but it is in fact a highly accurate replica of the most famous sporting rifle produced in history. The original rifle, a .275 Rigby magazine rifle, was awarded to Jim Corbett for killing the man-eating tigress of Champawat. It then features many times in his much-loved memoirs, Man-Eaters of Kumaon. The replica was built as a new rifle but given a patina to emulate the knocks and age of the original. #RIGBY #GUNMAKERS #FITFORPURPOSE

John Rigby 3 of 25: The NEW "Original" "Corbett" Mauser 98 .275 Rigby

Rule303
(.416 member)
24/03/19 07:46 PM
Re: John Rigby 3of25 The NEW "Original" "Corbett" 98 .275 Rigby

Now that is the style of Rigby that I like.

JDL
(.300 member)
24/03/19 11:36 PM

Oh yeah, so nice!

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
25/03/19 12:25 AM

Detail down to dents in the wood.

Homer
(.416 member)
29/03/19 05:06 PM

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm25 Donuts!

D'oh!
Homer

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
31/03/19 07:39 PM

Just noticed there is a different rifle in the mix above. No one notice?

I did notice the cheek piece earlier but wondered abvout it without critical thought. Why they put a cheekpiece on a replica rifle? They didn't!

rpeck
()
04/05/19 07:05 PM

I like the looks of an experienced rifle but I prefer the wear to come honestly, either at my hands or those of a previous owner, not directly from the manufacturer. Factory patina? A "pre-distressed" rifle? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distressing) Good grief. Poor Jim Corbett. A slippery slope that leads to this expensive mess from Blaser:

DarylS
(.700 member)
05/05/19 03:07 AM

Slope be dammned, looks as if Blaser jumped off the cliff.

rigbymauser
(.400 member)
05/05/19 06:13 AM

Blaser...U gotta b farking kidding me..

93x64mm
(.416 member)
05/05/19 08:25 AM

Rigby a very big Yes to the style of the Corbert rifle.
RPeck I feel you summed it up rather well, I feel exactly the same way - but a factory patina.....?????

As to the Blaser - well different strokes for different folks, definitely not my cup of tea that one!

Rule303
(.416 member)
05/05/19 06:24 PM

Blaser! Ohh the money I could have made from you by me selling you all the old wooden fence posts and drift wood I found. What ever their designers are on I want half a key of...............not.

Ripp
(.577 member)
06/05/19 12:01 AM

Quote:

Blaser! Ohh the money I could have made from you buy selling you all the old wooden fence posts and drift wood I found. What ever their designers are on I want half a key of...............not.

+1
WTH??? Looks like crap.. on the best of days... wonder who the idiot was that talked them into that??? WOW... pathetically horrible.. AND I like Blaser.. or did..

Agree with you, I have enough timber for their new "stocks" to last many years on the cattle ranch I manage.. shoot me a message, I am sure we can work out a deal..

DORLEAC
(.333 member)
06/05/19 03:52 AM

About the BLASER experience, a French idiom:
"Idiots dare everything ... that's why we recognize them!"

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

93x64mm
(.416 member)
06/05/19 08:06 AM

Quote:

.......a French idiom:

Now that IS a statement we will always remember Mr D - & always associated with Blaser from now on!

Rule303
(.416 member)
06/05/19 01:06 PM

Quote:

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

I like that idiom and it is so true.

ColoradoMatt1
(.300 member)
12/08/19 12:29 AM

I’m curious- Was that Corbett rifle built on a standard 98 action? Many 275’s were built on intermediate large ring small thread actions with the long front ring. My eyes may be deceiving me, but the Corbett rifle looks to have a standard 98 action. However, I can’t tell if it is large or small thread.

BillG500
(.300 member)
13/08/19 11:22 AM

You’ve got a point there, I wonder if it is a small ring or not?

DarylS
(.700 member)
13/08/19 12:35 PM

Looks like a large ring 98 to me.

ColoradoMatt1
(.300 member)
14/08/19 12:57 AM

I think their is no doubt about whether or not it is a large ring action. It is certainly large ring. I am wondering if the barrel shank diameter is large or small, and if the action is standard length or intermediate length.

DarylS
(.700 member)
14/08/19 01:09 AM

Also appears to be standard length as well, but could, I guess have material removed inside - but not needed for the .275Rigby, is it?

ColoradoMatt1
(.300 member)
14/08/19 09:08 PM

Mauser certainly made many 7x57’s on the standard length 98 action. Military contracts such as Chile used the std 98. Most early Rigby 275’s that I’ve come across use the intermediate action. The Corbett rifle looks like maybe an exception. I like it, now matter what action it has!

kuduae
(.400 member)
14/08/19 10:16 PM

Some years ago I had the original Corbett rifle in hand and discussed the way to reproduce it with Marc Newton. The original is built on a very rare "short intermediate" receiver, an action with an intermediate length bolt, but a standard length, large thread receiver ring. Such receivers are "usually" seen on the scarce, about 50 made, Rigby Mausers in .303. While the .303s have slant box magazines to feed the rimmed cartridges, the short intermediate receiver is combined with a common intermediate magazine on Corbett's rifle. I don't know how Rigby really reproduced the short intermediate receiver, but my suggestion was: Take an ordinary intermediate action, shorten the receiver ring to standard length and fit a small thread barrel. This will leave you with the same thread length like a standard length receiver, but the looks of a short intermediate one. Most likely noone will ever unscrew the barrel of the replica just to look at the thread size.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
17/08/19 06:13 PM

Somehow I think the Rigby company wanting to create a complete replica of the Corbett rifle, would go as far as is possible today to replicate it.

Thanks Kuduae for your informed comments.

Carpetsahib
(.333 member)
06/09/19 10:38 PM

Quote:

I like the looks of an experienced rifle but I prefer the wear to come honestly, either at my hands or those of a previous owner, not directly from the manufacturer. Factory patina? A "pre-distressed" rifle? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distressing) Good grief. Poor Jim Corbett. A slippery slope that leads to this expensive mess from Blaser:

Interesting! Roadkill comes to mind. I am surprised that they have to chain them down to keep them from being stolen. The anti-gun crowd should buy them and use them to frighten children!

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
07/09/19 07:28 PM

I should ban the member for putting that ugly monstrosity of a blaser on this rigby thread.

But seriously, talking about completely off topic posts and photos .... not amused.

Carpetsahib
(.333 member)
07/09/19 10:32 PM

My apologies. I will reconsider the next time I am tempted to post anything.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
07/09/19 11:00 PM

Quote:

My apologies. I will reconsider the next time I am tempted to post anything.

Bloody hell. I meant the original poster of that monstrosity. And it was also partly a joke. Ffff people are so sensitive.

But in the bit not partly a joke, I fail to understand why a "driftwood" Blaser is on a Rigby Corbett rifle re-creation thread? That horrible driftwood rifle deserves its own thread, but not on this one. I should have shifted it straight away when it was first posted. Completely off topic. But tend to let things run.

On a Blaser thread, who cares.

Maybe I should delete my post and all after seeing its so sensitive?

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
07/09/19 11:26 PM

Quote:

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

I wonder if anyone has tried using white ant/termite eaten wood ever?

Wayne59
(.400 member)
08/09/19 11:40 AM

Designed for the new millennial crowd. One shot and it turns to drift wood. No mass shootings.

rpeck
()
18/09/19 12:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I fail to understand why a "driftwood" Blaser is on a Rigby Corbett rifle re-creation thread? That horrible driftwood rifle deserves its own thread, but not on this one. I should have shifted it straight away when it was first posted. Completely off topic.

Quote:

The replica was built as a new rifle but given a patina to emulate the knocks and age of the original.

I don't think its "off topic," given that the topic was "patina" on a new rifle, although admittedly I chose an extreme example (the Blaser) to make the point. "Patina"on a new rifle? No thanks. Would Jim Corbett have wanted a pre-distressed rifle with a factory "patina"? I doubt it.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
18/09/19 01:55 AM

Quote:

I don't think its "off topic," given that the topic was "patina" on a new rifle, although admittedly I chose an extreme example (the Blaser) to make the point. "Patina"on a new rifle? No thanks. Would Jim Corbett have wanted a pre-distressed rifle with a factory "patina"? I doubt it.

Never mind.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
07/02/21 05:33 PM

Came looking for an image ....

And that is how negative people kill a thread with off topic bullshit.

I think on MY threads I will be enforcing a standard of manners in the future on off topic comments and BS. People are free to create their own threads. Of course doing that, they fail to misdirect and derail the original thread.

eagle27
(.400 member)
10/02/21 05:25 PM

I have read about the Corbett 275 Rigby on other occasions. I have all the original books Corbett wrote but can’t find reference to him receiving the Rigby as a gift. In Man-Eaters of Kumaon Chapter One, Corbett tells the story of the hunting and killing of the Champawat Man-Eater and concludes the chapter with the information that at a durbar held a few months after he killed the Champawat tigress, Sir John Hewitt presented the Talsildar of Champawat with a gun and the man who accompanied Corbett when looking for the girl, with a beautiful hunting knife, both weapons suitably engraved. He makes no mention of being presented with 275 Rigby himself?

All the other man-eater kills he relates to in the book were killed with his 450/400 double except for the Thak man-eater in the last chapter of the book where Corbett mentions arming himself “with an accurate .275 rifle, in addition to the 450/400 rifle”.

In his book The Temple Tiger (and more man-eaters of Kumaon) Corbett tells of walking into Mantons in Calcutta and purchasing a Westley Richards in .275 calibre, a new model to the market. He eventually got a chance of a shot at the Temple tigers head at a range of about five feet and gently pressed the trigger. Nothing happened although he distinctly remembered charging a clip of five rounds into the magazine and chambering a round. His thought was the bolt had not picked up a round from the magazine. Turned out on opening the action there was a loaded round in the chamber with the metallic noise on opening the bolt causing the tiger to disappear. Silly old Jim had not fired the new gun before the hunt and had not realised the Westley Richards had a double pull trigger. Jim only took up the first stage expecting the gun to fire.

Corbett mentions later in this book when relating the story of the Talla Des man-eater that he had armed himself with a light .275 rifle which was one he had used for over 20 years.
In his three books specifically on hunting man-eaters Jim does not mention a 275 Rigby or being presented with one, maybe he does somewhere in his other books, Jungle Lore, My India, etc. I haven’t scanned back through these.

Does Jim actually make reference to receiving the Rigby and whatever happened to the Westley Richards 275. Did he use the Rigby on man-eaters or was it the Westley Richards?

He was an interesting and tough character and very good story teller, you feel like you are there with him when reading his books.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
10/02/21 08:58 PM

Good comments and onservations.

I am sure I have read of him receiving the Rigby rifle in his books. Of course it could have been the instances you mention of others being presented with a .275 rifle.

My recollection was the .275 he used for the maneater killing was NOT the presentation Rigby. Later tigers, leopards etc, maybe, I don't know.

The book maybe where the presentation of the Rigby .275 was possibly the autobiographical book of Corbett - My India?

Marc Newton posted up lots of photos and other posts on the Corbett presentation rifle. And also took it back to India for a "tour". Was very interesting. Unfortunately he has deleted his facebook profile so it is all gone. There might be some also on the Rigby facebook page.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
16/02/21 01:43 AM

https://youtu.be/Nr7SwUVqRYE

Jim Corbett; A Rifle's Journey

John Rigby & Co.

See what inspired our team of gunmakers and how they made the commemorative .275 Corbett SCI donation rifle in this short film entitled "Jim Corbett; A Rifle's Journey"

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
16/02/21 01:56 AM

https://youtu.be/1aYwkA_uBOE

Under Wild Skies - Jim Corbett Rifle Returns

•22 Dec 2017

John Rigby & Co.

A special edition of the NRAs under wild Skies following the return of Jim Corbetts rifles to India.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
16/02/21 04:51 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkvNgBB9DdU

The Champawat Man-eater by Jim Corbett. An audio reading of the story from The Man-eaters of Kumaon

vijay Raol

The Champawat Man-eater, the tigress who is arguably the most prolific of man-eaters ever known, with a record of over 430 human victims, was finally tracked down by a young Jim Corbett. This reading is in honor of Mr. Corbett's amazing ability to provide great shikar stories, while creating a sense of empathy and respect for all animals. This story is read by Dr. Vijay Raol. While I welcome your feedback, please be respectful with your comments. If you enjoyed this reading, please let me know. I hope to read some more of Corbett's amazing stories.

CarlsenHighway
(.300 member)
24/02/22 11:20 AM

I have read his books also and cant find where he seems to kill any tigers or leopards with that particular .275 Rigby rifle, and have also come across the same references to buying a Westley Richards for himself. So he obviously had two .275's. (Although he might have sold the WR once he got the Rigby perhaps. But that was early on - 1909?)

Unlike Bell who shot approx 800 elephants with his .275 rifles, Corbett, who is also "well known" for taking maneating tigers and leopards with the .275, has not written about doing that with a .275 hardly at all.

He does mention later in life, where he is gifting the rifle for posterity (to his publisher?) in his retirement, that the rifle had been used on several maneaters. Is it a fact that Jim Corbett killed many other man eating tigers or leopards with his .275 rifle that he did not write about?

Offhand I can only think of one time that he killed a maneater with a .275 rifle. The incident when he fired one handed.

What did he use to kill the leopard of Rudraprayaag? Was it a .275?

degoins
(.333 member)
25/02/22 12:35 AM

"What did he use to kill the leopard of Rudraprayaag? Was it a .275?"

yes

bwanabobftw
(.375 member)
25/02/22 07:57 AM

I just finished reading “Burning Bright” by Harnihal Singh Sidhu. It’s a compilation of Corbett stories. Seems he used his 450/400 on most of the Tigers. I do remember him talking about the .275 that was given to him, but I’d have to reread the book to figure out which Tiger he shot to receive it. Great book !!!!!! Highly recommend it.
Robert

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
25/02/22 11:08 PM

Quote:

I just finished reading “Burning Bright” by Harnihal Singh Sidhu. It’s a compilation of Corbett stories. Seems he used his 450/400 on most of the Tigers. I do remember him talking about the .275 that was given to him, but I’d have to reread the book to figure out which Tiger he shot to receive it. Great book !!!!!! Highly recommend it.
Robert

Must look for it.

The Rigby rifle with the plaque was gifted to him as a grateful gift for his slaying of a maneater(s). Did he hunt maneaters with it? Don't know. One of his stories mention using a Rigby .275 one handed to shoot a tiger at close range. Mentioned in a book and a painting of it exists by the Australian painter, David Southgate. Marketed by Rigby. David asked me years ago for tips on who could assist with marketing, selling his prints. I am glad he found a partner in Rigby to sell some of his painting prints.

Did he use his the gifted Rigby? Probably on subsequent hunts of some sort. Doesn't matter. The Rigby commenorative rifle was built as a closest replica as possible to the original gift. Including marks and usage blemishes.

bwanabobftw
(.375 member)
28/02/22 01:05 PM

It’s a great book, Rigby sells it on their website. And, yes I believe he used the .275 on several man eaters (both Leopard and Tiger).
Robert

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
01/03/22 03:29 PM

"The Chowgarh Tiger" by David Southgate

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
01/03/22 05:21 PM

Gun 3 of 25 may look like a modest antique magazine rifle but it is in fact a highly accurate replica of the most famous sporting rifle produced in history. The original rifle, a .275 Rigby magazine rifle, was awarded to Jim Corbett for killing the man-eating tigress of Champawat. It then features many times in his much-loved memoirs, Man-Eaters of Kumaon.

"The Champawatt Tiger" by David Southgate

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
05/03/22 09:00 PM

Quote:

Gun 3 of 25 may look like a modest antique magazine rifle but it is in fact a highly accurate replica of the most famous sporting rifle produced in history. The original rifle, a .275 Rigby magazine rifle, was awarded to Jim Corbett for killing the man-eating tigress of Champawat. It then features many times in his much-loved memoirs, Man-Eaters of Kumaon.

"The Champawatt Tiger" by David Southgate

Well, the painting looks like trouble. Neither hammer is back, and the tiger is ready to pounce.

Tight spot!

Curl

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
06/03/22 05:08 PM

Quote:

Well, the painting looks like trouble. Neither hammer is back, and the tiger is ready to pounce.

Tight spot!

Curl

Yes! Maybe a slight but rare mistake by David in his painting? Will have to re-read the story to see if it mentions when he thumbs the hammers back?

I found a painting naming error in my threads where I mixed the descriptions of two paintings. If Corbett received the commenorative gifted Rigby .275 after killing of the above Champawat tiger, he may have well used that rifle in the one handed shot in the later Chowgarh maneater hunt? Again re-reading of the stories is needed.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
01/04/24 08:15 PM

BTTT. Please enjoy in a positive manner.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com