rpeck
()
04/02/19 09:15 PM
VAPEN-DEPOTEN FALUN 30-06 Swedish Mauser

Right now, Canada is being flooded with affordable used rifles from Scandinavia.
Here is one example of a recent import from Sweden.
It cost me $225(US) including taxes and shipping.

VAPEN-DEPOTEN FALUN conversion of a Swedish Mauser
Barrel marked 7.62X63 (30-06)
With NORMA adjustable peep sight
25.5 inch barrel with excellent bore
I added a CG63 target rifle trigger

lancaster
(.470 member)
04/02/19 10:35 PM
Re: VAPEN-DEPOTEN FALUN 30-06 Swedish Mauser

Ripp
(.577 member)
05/02/19 02:06 AM

Quote:

Right now, Canada is being flooded with affordable used rifles from Scandinavia.
Here is one example of a recent import from Sweden.
It cost me $225(US) including taxes and shipping.

VAPEN-DEPOTEN FALUN conversion of a Swedish Mauser
Barrel marked 7.62X63 (30-06)
With NORMA adjustable peep sight
25.5 inch barrel with excellent bore
I added a CG63 target rifle trigger

Where are those for sale at??

I really like the shaped of that stock.. cool looking rifle

Thank you for posting this

Ripp

9.3x57
(.450 member)
05/02/19 04:08 AM

We had gobs of the Swedish "overstock" rifles {sold off due to excess to ownership limits} here in the USA for years hitting the peak I think about 10-12 years ago. I bought some 9.3x57, 8x57, 6.5x55 and there were other calibers also like 9.3x62, .30-06, .270. Huskies and the VD guns as shown here. I visited SARCO in NJ at the height of the importation and got to stroll around in the back of the storage, documentation and repair rooms and there were racks and racks and stacks of them. Many were junk but some were very nice like the OP's.

Many are made on the 2-lug 94/96 actions, some on the so-called "strengthened" 94/96 action {left rail without thumb notch for stripper clips} and some on commercial FN 98 actions. I've had examples of all of them.

Are they still coming in to Canada?

Rule of thumb on lots of Huskies and VD guns:

1} Some have insufficient thickness of stock between bottom metal and barreled action. Requires the stock ferrules to be removed and thrown away or inletting shimmed or built up with epoxy bedding or {Shhh... Just our little secret...} a little filed off the magazine box so there is adequate clamping of upper to lower metal.

2} Lots have cracks from poor inletting or from tangs setting back into the stock wood behind the tang. Repairs normally can be made easily and tangs relieved to prevent further mayhem.

3} Check the twist rate as I think you will find many .30-06's w/ 1/12 twists.

4} Some, as the OP's, come with neato little extras like the peep sight. I had a jaktdiopter on a gun I got.

The VD guns as well as the Huskies can be, as this one appears to be, very nice rifles. Some steer away from the 94/96 actions for the .30-06 and other high pressure rounds but they seem to be pretty strong. There HAVE been some reports of blown up 2-lug small-ring actions. Most I've seen were Huskies dated 1942 and the issue appears to be simply poor heat treatment involving too low a tempering temperature or possibly burning of the steel during heat before quenching. Not sure the exact processes used.

DarylS
(.700 member)
05/02/19 05:07 AM

Yes- still coming to Canada. Tradeexcanada.com is getting them in and have sold hundreds.
Mostly 6.5x55, 8x47's, some 9x57s, 9.3x57's, 9.3x62 and .30/06's.
Model 96's, Husky's like the '06 above and Model 98's.

Other rifles & calibres as well.

Prices range from about $275.00 to $375.00.
See for yourself, however they do not ship outside Canada.
The used to be situated in Quebec, but moved to Ontario when the Quebec Government became more "aggressive" - my word.
Here's their used sporting rifles - 22 pages of them.

https://www.tradeexcanada.com/produits/95

rpeck
()
05/02/19 06:53 AM

3} Check the twist rate as I think you will find many .30-06's w/ 1/12 twists.

I believe that Husqvarna used this 1/12 30-06 twist rate in most of their sporting rifles. I owned many Huskies since the early 80's and never had a problem. All proved to be accurate even with 180 gr. bullets.

2} Lots have cracks from poor inletting or from tangs setting back into the stock wood behind the tang. Repairs normally can be made easily and tangs relieved to prevent further mayhem.

Very familiar with the tang crack...although I believe it is an inherent flaw in the Mauser design and not due to poor fitting. And of course it is easily repaired now that we have Acraglas.

DarylS
(.700 member)
05/02/19 07:06 AM

Part of the tang crack/split problem is with the steel bushing Husqvarna used around the rear guard screw. The bushing being too long and not secured/glued in,(as in today's pillar bedding) allows for wood compression over time, thus a loose 'system' allowing rearward movement of the action in the stock and splits in the tang. Poor machine inletting is also to blame.
Re-bedding, epoxying and pinning splits is the solution, along with throwing away the steel bushing.
It was a rare Husky in the 70's/80's that did not have a tang split.
Most of the Husky's for sale at tradexcanada have 'minor crack in the tang'.
That's sure a nice one, rpeck - interesting comb splice.

rpeck
()
05/02/19 07:35 AM

and no tang crack

Contact Us NitroExpress.com