ismith
(.224 member)
15/01/18 02:59 AM
Pictures/ Info needed on early 20's H&H take apart Mauser

I will be restoring/ rebuilding a early 20's H&H and would love to see some pictures of some. Stock and barrel measurements would be helpful as well.

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
15/01/18 01:51 PM
Re: Pictures/ Info needed on early 20's H&H take apart Mauser

Only this, from the 1939 Stoeger catalog:

The whole page:

All one needs now is a time machine and 30 to 35 Guineas.

lancaster
(.470 member)
16/01/18 06:10 AM

no , just looking for any info he can get and then start because its possible

ismith
(.224 member)
16/01/18 10:56 AM

http://secure.griffinhowe.com/riflemoreinfo.cfm

Rockdoc
(.400 member)
21/01/18 08:33 AM

You can get the stock measurements from H&H for that rifle, including the weight. I think it is GBP30 from the last one I ordered. Send them the rifles serial number. It won’t give you all the measurements, but cast and length of pull.

depending what state the current stock is you could have it Pantographed.

Would like to see some photographs.

Cheers,

Chris

ismith
(.224 member)
22/01/18 08:45 AM

Quote:

You can get the stock measurements from H&H for that rifle, including the weight. I think it is GBP30 from the last one I ordered. Send them the rifles serial number. It won’t give you all the measurements, but cast and length of pull.

depending what state the current stock is you could have it Pantographed.

Would like to see some photographs.

Cheers,

Chris

I will do that for sure, I'm very curious who the original owner was and would like to know whether it was shipped to North America or Africa. I have a hunch Griffin and Howe may have records on this one too. It has some modest engraving, including one previous owners name, that looks for the world to be done by Rudolph Kornbrath. It also has damascening that leads me to believe it was worked over by the Hoffman Arms Co. while they were in Cleveland Ohio. Unfortunately this only an action, no stock or barrel included.

ismith
(.224 member)
28/01/18 02:55 PM

Here's a picture of my "rifle". I believe it was a Holland and Holland and then rebuilt by Hoffman Arms. It has a three digit serial and a 2 digit serial.

ismith
(.224 member)
28/01/18 02:56 PM

ismith
(.224 member)
31/01/18 10:07 AM

Got an email back from Holland and Holland. They sold the receiver to Hoffman Arms in 1924 as a 375 receiver.

ismith
(.224 member)
02/02/18 05:24 AM

The bolt face has been opened up to something bigger than a 375 H&H, and just a hair too small for a 404 Jeffery. Im taking a WAG that it was built by Hoffman Arms into either a 280 Jeffery or a 333 Jeffery as the action is standard length. Might have to go with a 333 Jeffery with a .338 diameter bore when I get it barreled.

Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
02/02/18 06:37 AM

There is a chap in the US who makes barrels in .333 diameter. I can't remember the name but if you speak to JP Smithson Gunmakers he can tell you as he uses his barrels.

http://www.smithson-gunmaker.com/contact.html

Several companies including Woodleigh make projectiles.

Waidmannsheil.

ismith
(.224 member)
02/02/18 06:51 AM

Quote:

There is a chap in the US who makes barrels in .333 diameter. I can't remember the name but if you speak to JP Smithson Gunmakers he can tell you as he uses his barrels.

http://www.smithson-gunmaker.com/contact.html

Several companies including Woodleigh make projectiles.

Waidmannsheil.

Thanks!

ismith
(.224 member)
09/02/18 03:11 AM

Further digging has brought me to solid evidence that it was originally a 375 Hoffman (H&H). The Hoffman barrel in 375 that sold on eBay back in December was very likely from this rifle.

Wanabebwana
(.300 member)
24/02/18 08:17 AM

Most of my .375 H&H bolt faces will accommodate a .404 Jeffrey. So if your bolt face is in between then that would be within the norm for that cartridge.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com