DORLEAC
(.333 member)
09/10/17 07:06 PM
6.5 Creedmoor Kurz Mauser

When we talk about Creedmoor we immediately think of a technical rifle made of high-tech materials, stainless steel, titanium, carbon, kevlar, etc.
I am well placed to know this as I use such a “tool” to hunt in my beloved mountains.
I have been interested in this cartridge since its inception and I can legitimately say that in France I was a forerunner, the majority of gunsmiths preferring to stick to the calibers that have proved their worth!
I had a lot of success and satisfaction hunting with the 6,5 Creedmoor and then I considered building a purely classic rifle for my personal use in this caliber.
I had set aside an Original Mauser “Kurz” receiver, steel in the white and never used ... but lacking the bolt and all the ancillaries.
To replace the missing bolt I used a rough draft from FZH that required a lot of adjustment work but allowed me to benefit from a small diameter firing pin hole.
All the other parts were made from various largely modified period elements that were on hand.
I took advantage of a 6.5x55 1/8" twist match quality barrel blank that I profiled to my taste before chambering it for the 6.5 Creedmoor.
I attach great importance to the metallic sights, which is why this rifle benefits from a combined moon sight at the front and a perfectly regulated rear sight in order to favor the snap shooting I like.
The wood appears much better after its shaping than in blank form and naturally the stock was fashioned very classically Dorleac style.
The scope is a Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 fitted on hand made claw mount, but the most important thing about this rifle, mine now, is its surprising accuracy, a true one holer printing cloverleaves all the day with 143 grains ELD-X…!

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Rockdoc
(.400 member)
09/10/17 07:41 PM
Re: 6.5 Creedmoor Kurz Mauser

Oooh, oooh.

What can I say!

I have a major case of the "I wants!"

Simply stunning.

Viking338
(.333 member)
09/10/17 09:06 PM

I am in love, that is beautiful

Rigby350
(.300 member)
09/10/17 09:10 PM

Amazing rifle, yet another example of a great D&D Rifle.

DarylS
(.700 member)
10/10/17 04:24 AM

Eye candy!

Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
10/10/17 07:00 AM

Wow Joel, absolutely fantastic. What a lovely rifle to have as your own especially with that Kurtz action, very nice engraving on the floor plate, very tasteful. Thanks for posting.

Waidmannsheil.

93x64mm
(.416 member)
10/10/17 07:12 AM

Quote:

Amazing rifle, yet another example of a great D&D Rifle.

I don't think anyone could put it better than this!
Fantastic work Mr D as always!

Ripp
(.577 member)
10/10/17 08:30 AM

Quote:

Wow Joel, absolutely fantastic. What a lovely rifle to have as your own especially with that Kurtz action, very nice engraving on the floor plate, very tasteful. Thanks for posting.

Waidmannsheil.

Agreed...stunning work...

AND a nice caliber..was with some friends this weekend of which one of them was using the 6.5 Creedmore for Pronghorn...very nice and efficient cartridge.. worked very well..

Commend you on trying/using newer cartridges...they too need a home..

Ripp

Homer
(.416 member)
10/10/17 08:44 AM

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!

Doh!
Homer

Eck
(.275 member)
11/10/17 10:22 PM

That is beautiful!

Dogfish858
(.300 member)
12/10/17 12:51 AM

What I particularly like about your rifles is they are built free from the sterility that marks a lot of otherwise excellent modern craftsmanship. While D&D have a definite style, it's a living style, and that living 'personal' style isn't seen often in modern firearms. As much as it pains me I think the only improvement on this rifle would be five seasons of hard use!

Iowa_303s
(.400 member)
25/10/17 02:05 PM

Another wonderful rifle from the hands of a true craftsman!
I look forward to seeing more of your very talented work.
Thank you sir for sharing your rifle with us.

rigbymauser
(.400 member)
26/10/17 07:33 AM

Sublime.

HeymSR20
(.300 member)
10/02/18 04:01 AM

Just the job for a chamois hunt.

Huvius
(.416 member)
11/02/18 03:32 AM

Simply beautiful!
Right down to the waist in the rear scope mount, no detail is overlooked. Wonderful rifle!

tinker
(.416 member)
11/02/18 04:02 AM

So very nice!

xausa
(.400 member)
11/02/18 04:28 AM

In the past, when I have commented on the size of a scope overwhelming the rifle it is mounted on, you have explained that the scope was the choice of the customer, and I have had to admit that "the customer is always right". However, in this instance, the customer is you, and I can see no possible justification in mounting a totally unnecessary Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 scope with a 42mm objective on a graceful, well designed rifle. Such as scope has its use, I suppose, on a target or varmint rifle, but on a rifle intended for mountain hunting it appears entirely out of place.

This is of course only my opinion, but for me the absolute limit of magnification is 7X (preferably 6X) on such a rifle, and in no case an objective larger than 32mm, with a mount allowing the scope to be situated as low as possible.

It is interesting for me that you talk about a preference for open sights and build a rifle appropriate for snap shooting, only to mount such a monstrosity on top of it. The scope height is clearly inappropriate for a rifle designed for iron sights.

The choice of claw mounts only exacerbates the situation, since the height of front ring only adds to the overall height of the scope, which would not be the case with a pivot or tip off mount, where the front ring could be mounted on the main tube, rather than on the bell.

Huvius
(.416 member)
11/02/18 04:57 AM

I think that in this case, the scope, although big, doesn’t overwhelm the lines of the rifle.
The waisted rear mount, as well as using the bell for the front mount allows a lot of air space between the action and the scope which helps make the scoped rifle still look light.
It also allows the use of the standard Oberndorf style bolt handle which is so much more stylish than a scalloped or swept bolt handle that a low scope requires.

Dogfish858
(.300 member)
11/02/18 06:49 AM

Lower mounts would require bolt handle alteration and iron sights to be too low, or would require receiver ring obscuring and too-high iron sights. As iron sights would be used for close range, the scope would be used for long range; the stock measurements are set for iron sights. If shooting long range, might as well use the more powerful light gathering of a large scope. This arrangement revolves around the function of the open sights with the scope system secondary yet picked intelligently: if forced to use a scope might as well use a scope that overcomes the deficiency of iron sights well and puts the round to its optimal use.

DORLEAC
(.333 member)
11/02/18 09:52 PM

Quote:

In the past, when I have commented on the size of a scope overwhelming the rifle it is mounted on, you have explained that the scope was the choice of the customer, and I have had to admit that "the customer is always right". However, in this instance, the customer is you, and I can see no possible justification in mounting a totally unnecessary Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 scope with a 42mm objective on a graceful, well designed rifle. Such as scope has its use, I suppose, on a target or varmint rifle, but on a rifle intended for mountain hunting it appears entirely out of place.

This is of course only my opinion, but for me the absolute limit of magnification is 7X (preferably 6X) on such a rifle, and in no case an objective larger than 32mm, with a mount allowing the scope to be situated as low as possible.

It is interesting for me that you talk about a preference for open sights and build a rifle appropriate for snap shooting, only to mount such a monstrosity on top of it. The scope height is clearly inappropriate for a rifle designed for iron sights.

The choice of claw mounts only exacerbates the situation, since the height of front ring only adds to the overall height of the scope, which would not be the case with a pivot or tip off mount, where the front ring could be mounted on the main tube, rather than on the bell.

xausa,

I hear your criticisms and I respect them.
We have different points of view that relate to our past and the country in which we live and hunt, you in the USA, me in Europe.
First, the discussion you are referring to was about a Zeiss V8, a huge scope on 36mm tube that is not comparable with the Swarovski Z3, a very light powerful scope.
I'm sorry to tell you that, but we prefer to benefit from the excellent quality of the continental optics rather than being forced to use scopes made in the USA (or China) that we don't always appreciate the performances, even if they wear gold rings on front bell...
I loved the excellent 2-7x36 Kahles but it is no longer manufactured today and the last ones we had in stock are now allocated to running projects.
The Z3, either the 3-9x36 or the 3-10x42 is very light and corresponds well to the use that I do in stalking chamois in mountain.
On the other hand you don't imagine the complexity of making a claw mount, a purely European system that requires many hours of work but, when well done, is the most perfect quick detachable mount guaranteeing a rigorous return to zero.
I can't imagine how I could have decked out this rifle with a fixed or (excellent) Talley mount while maintaining the integrity of the action. The rear claw mount base is welded on the receiver bridge without alteration and the front base soldered on the barrel, sparing the harmful modification of the front ring.
Of course, we are able to build a rifle with a small very low scope and a modified bolt handle but in this case we will use a pre-64 W70 action that, unfortunately, does not exist in "kurz" version.
As for the "apparent" height of the assembly it is partly due to the slenderness of the scope tube but it allows keeping intact the Oberndorf bolt handle, even if it has been modified to be lower.
Finally, rest assured, the stock - it is one of our specialty - is well suited to both sighting systems and the weapon is very comfortable to shoot.
Thank you for your comments.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Igorrock
(.400 member)
11/02/18 10:38 PM

IMO high quality scope with big objective lens (i.e with more luminous scope) is very usefull when hunting in dusk when sun has gone down. That kind of hunting is very popular in Finland. People sits in high wooden tower waiting deer coming to eat. As I said, this mainly happens in late evening.

HeymSR20
(.300 member)
12/02/18 09:21 AM

It's a pity Khales have stopped the 2-7x36, and I have a feeling Swarovski are stopping the z3 in 3-9x36. I have an older Nova on my rigby in 3-9x36 and love it - to be honest its all the scope any body needs for 95% of hunting. With QD mount the other 5% can be accomplished with open sights. I also have habicht 4-12x50 in a 1' tube - its getting on the bulky side and to be honest I don't think in the dark under the moon or last light I can see any better with it than the 3-9x36 - perhaps I can use a little more magnification.

Ripp
(.577 member)
12/02/18 10:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

xausa,

I hear your criticisms and I respect them.
We have different points of view that relate to our past and the country in which we live and hunt, you in the USA, me in Europe.
First, the discussion you are referring to was about a Zeiss V8, a huge scope on 36mm tube that is not comparable with the Swarovski Z3, a very light powerful scope.
I'm sorry to tell you that, but we prefer to benefit from the excellent quality of the continental optics rather than being forced to use scopes made in the USA (or China) that we don't always appreciate the performances, even if they wear gold rings on front bell...
I loved the excellent 2-7x36 Kahles but it is no longer manufactured today and the last ones we had in stock are now allocated to running projects.
The Z3, either the 3-9x36 or the 3-10x42 is very light and corresponds well to the use that I do in stalking chamois in mountain.
On the other hand you don't imagine the complexity of making a claw mount, a purely European system that requires many hours of work but, when well done, is the most perfect quick detachable mount guaranteeing a rigorous return to zero.
I can't imagine how I could have decked out this rifle with a fixed or (excellent) Talley mount while maintaining the integrity of the action. The rear claw mount base is welded on the receiver bridge without alteration and the front base soldered on the barrel, sparing the harmful modification of the front ring.
Of course, we are able to build a rifle with a small very low scope and a modified bolt handle but in this case we will use a pre-64 W70 action that, unfortunately, does not exist in "kurz" version.
As for the "apparent" height of the assembly it is partly due to the slenderness of the scope tube but it allows keeping intact the Oberndorf bolt handle, even if it has been modified to be lower.
Finally, rest assured, the stock - it is one of our specialty - is well suited to both sighting systems and the weapon is very comfortable to shoot.
Thank you for your comments.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

--

I love the lines and beauty of the rifle by itself..incredibly beautiful rifle..however with the scope I must say I am on XAUSA's side on this one and agree with his comments above..

1. If this is a stalking rifle and your objective is to have a lightweight scope such as the Z3, why do you need fixed sights on it in the first place?? Why would I want the extra weight??

2. Secondly, again mtn stalking rifle with the scope so far above the bore is not as conducive to long range shooting, IMHO as a lowered scope would be..again, why the fixed sights..

3. In reference to the "gold ring" and their quality..while I agree to the quality of the glass on Swaro's, and I have a bunch of them, Z5's and Z'6's.. Personally no longer so sure they are that optically superior to the higher end "gold rings" you refer to..

One thing I do know is the tube of the Swaro's is not as rigid/strong as the Leupolds, if you tighten the screws to tight on the rings you can see it bending on the Swaro's, don't see that on the Leupolds..

I have sent 3 Leupolds back to the factory after 40+ years of using them through thousands of rounds of shooting..from p-dog shooting to big game...one of which I bought used so I just sent it in to have it gone over, so to be fair, two that actually needed it... I had a VX-3 in 4.5-14 mounted on my HS Precision chambered in 300 Ultra-mag--I traveled to Africa 4 times with that combo, never had to adjust that scope..in addition to using it all fall long here in Montana hunting deer and elk. I ended up putting a Swaro on it, had to send it back to the factory the first 50 rounds..had the same thing happen putting a Swaro Z5 on my 26 Nosler..also had to send it in for repairs..that was 26 rounds..optical quality is one thing, holding up and remaining functional is quite another..Again, I have both, so no axe to grind..however, the quality you speak of has a few holes in it as well based on my experience..

Tom_H
(.333 member)
12/02/18 12:05 PM

Beautiful rifle.
I understand Xausa's point, and many older European rifles with QD mounts of some sort are scoped impossibly high for consistantly accurate shooting. It is very difficult to create a truly classic rifle that is shootable with both irons and scope without one of them looking odd. My guess is that if you are shooting the scope on this rifle, you can press forward and utilize that part of the comb, also made possible by such a light recoiling cartridge.
It is unfortunate that the bolt handle couldn't be attached below the root, probably dropping the scope by an additional 1/4"+ as it looks like the claws could be decreased by at least that much. Unfortunately, that handle would make it look more like an M-70 than an original Mauser.

I have made claw mounts and it is no simple feat.

I also have a Kurtz that I have hunted with, and between the high scope and a difficult to manipulate safety, it spends most of its time in the safe. If I actually used it as intended, I would be walking to my stand with irons (and the safety wouldn't matter) and click the scope on when I get there (and the mounts wouldn't matter).

There are few people who would have built an entire rifle around that action.
I wish you many seasons of successful hunting with it.

Cheers,
Tom

Claydog
(.375 member)
12/02/18 03:06 PM

I think the rifle is gorgeous. I have noticed that Europeans tend to have a "higher faced" shooting position and I have to admit to having no issue with my cheek riding higher on the comb to align with a scope. I remember in my younger days shooting a Ruger that had a Kahles 8x56 scope and a bull barrel that had the eye line a good deal above the bore with no ill effects.

Joel's rifle would not be what it is without open sights. It is a stalking rifle not an ultr-light and there is no real point to having claw type mounts without opens as to me that is the whole point of the claws. Happy to concede that 6.5 creedmoor was likely not conceived with open sights in mind but a rifle of that style would look semi naked without open sights. Like wise no other style of mount would be the same. If the intent was to make only a purely functional mountain rifle things may well be different but I see this as a melting together of classic lines and modern performance.

DarylS
(.700 member)
12/02/18 03:41 PM

I like high mounted scopes myself, although not all my rifles have them.
I like to look at the animal or target when practicing, snap the rifle to my shoulder and I am looking at the crosshairs on that animal. My head is held erect, my face not pressed down hard in to the comb just to see through the scope - cheek weld many call it.
For me, that is uncomfortable - I like to shoot standing as I walk - erect.
I agree that when shooting at really long ranges, a lower harder hold might be beneficial, however I don't need it.

I could be happy with that rifle as my only hunting rifle for big game. It would certainly be more than sufficient for all my future big game hunting.

For me any more, 300yards is 100yards past the furthest range I have used a modern ctg. rifle for, on big game.

Any more, shooting gophers at 400 to 500yards is the extent of my long range animal 'shooting'.

For big game, I do not need more than 200yards and that high mounted scope would handle that just fine.

Tentman
(.300 member)
12/02/18 04:45 PM

Outstanding craftsmanship as usual from M. Dorleac, impeccable does not do it justice.

The choice of cartridge is inspired, really the 6.5 Creedmore was "made" for this action (it is afterall really a 6.5x48 or 6.5-250/3000 Savage Improved. Many of the "old boys" like P O Ackley etc would approve I think.

For another "take" abeit a much more modest one I offer my own 6.5x47 Kurz for comparison. When I initiated this project the 6.5 Creedmore was not available. My rifle came to me without a bolt, but after a long wait, a stroke of luck, and the assistance of a fellow from the forum I secured an original Kurz bolt for the princely sum of 11.5 Euros.

Like M. Dorleac I struggled with the choice of scope. I decided that the immediate past generation of Kahles scopes offered the right combination of reliability, and optics in a size that complimented the rifle. As has been noted by M. Dorleac one must make a choice fairly early on in the project if one is to follow the style to its logical conclusion (the rings are custom built to the scope). The advantage of the Kahles 2.3-7 on my rifleis that it shares the same tube as the 4x. In New Zealand we hunt in a very very robust environment, and scopes often fail, so the ability to have an affordable spare at hand is very comforting.

I would be very interested to hear what loads M. Dorleac uses or proposes to use. The factory 6.5 Creedmore is loaded to pretty high pressures (as is the 6.5x47) and I have been cautioned against using loads above 50,000 psi in these rifles. This advice was probably well intentioned but I had doubts about its source and accuracy.

One thing for those wondering, My rifle feeds both 6.5 Creedmore and 6.5x47 flawlessly without modification.

Cheers

Tentman
(.300 member)
12/02/18 04:56 PM

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qinByc0fBT7AnZ6A3

My apologies, I need to figure out how to post photos in this "post photobucket" era

Claydog
(.375 member)
12/02/18 05:47 PM

Here you go Tentman. Sweet little rifle.

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
12/02/18 05:55 PM

Quote:

My apologies, I need to figure out how to post photos in this "post photobucket" era

Try this:

Photos

DORLEAC
(.333 member)
12/02/18 07:56 PM

Dear all,

If I need a very low fixed mounted scope I use that kind of rifle.
We know how to do this type of rifle too and if you want it with a wood stock we are able to build it too !

We had a lot of bad feedback on some Swarovski, but it was still on "assembled in USA" versions.
We have mounted European scopes that hunt around the world and in horribly difficult conditions without problems but it is difficult to draw a definitive conclusion from a hundred or so cases.
Discussing the advantages of US versus Continental products is an endless discussion. We will not compare the merits of Airbus and Boeing, Mercedes and Cadillac, Blaser and Winchester, Zeiss and Leupold ... it is useless and the discussion is barren.
We must admit that everyone has their own culture and respect the choices of each other without wanting to impose his point of view.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
12/02/18 10:11 PM

Quote:

Are those mounts some form of modern Conetrol mounts?

I didn't look at this thread till today, as the Creedmoors aren't usually of much interest to me. Prefer a good old 6.5x55 any day.

Joel, why a 6.5 Creedmoor over the 6.5x55? Because of action length? Or good marketing using a newer cartridge?

Absolutely lovely rifle. I really want to visit oneday, but preferably when I can also bring a deposit for an order!

I think one of these classic Dorleac rifles without open sights, would not be a Dorleac.

I sometimes comment on the excessice sized Euro scopes, but that overal 'picture' doesn't look out of place. As for the scope being too high or not, that would depend on the user and how it fits them.

Again such a lovely rifle.

DORLEAC
(.333 member)
12/02/18 10:17 PM

Nitrox,

The mounts are from GENTRY and the rifle is also a technical 6.5 Creedmoor built on a highly modified RM 700 titanium short action.
Indeed the 6,5x55 Swedish need a standard length action, not a kurz as the one I have used for the above Creedmoor.
I'm working on a top notch 6,5x55 on a very special Original Mauser action...be patient.

All the best.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Ahmed577
(.333 member)
12/02/18 10:51 PM

I would be pleased to have it scope and all in my camp. Great bait gun.

Ripp
(.577 member)
13/02/18 03:06 AM

Quote:

Nitrox,

The mounts are from GENTRY and the rifle is also a technical 6.5 Creedmoor built on a highly modified RM 700 titanium short action.
Indeed the 6,5x55 Swedish need a standard length action, not a kurz as the one I have used for the above Creedmoor.
I'm working on a top notch 6,5x55 on a very special Original Mauser action...be patient.

All the best.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Mr. Gentry is actually in my Jiu-jitsu class every Thursday evening..will shoot him this photo..

Ripp

HeymSR20
(.300 member)
13/02/18 06:36 AM

M Dorleac

Those mounts on the 6.5 Creedmoor - especially the rear mount, did you slim them down use a Mill, or just a good old fashioned file?

I have recently fitted a 1.25-4x20 Schmidt & Bender to my Combination Gun using blanks from Reknagel. A slow but satisfying job and it seems to shoot well and retain zero when scope goes on and off. But the mounts in white a quite blocky and bulky. I keep looking at them, and then go off and do something else. I now have this for driven and its original 6x42 Zeiss for everything else.

re the 3-9x36 - I think Swarovski may be stopping the z3 which will be a shame. I have an older Nova Version mounted on my 275 and its brilliant, and looses nothing to my 4-12x50 Habicht that is on the 243 Heym SR20. I am seriously thinking about rebarreling the latter to either 6.5 Creedmoor or, given its a long action to 6.5x55, and switching the scope to a 42mm version.

Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
13/02/18 06:41 AM

It would be a shame if they stopped the Z3 range, they are a big seller here in Australia.

Waidmannsheil.

Ripp
(.577 member)
13/02/18 01:29 PM

Quote:

I like high mounted scopes myself, although not all my rifles have them.
I like to look at the animal or target when practicing, snap the rifle to my shoulder and I am looking at the crosshairs on that animal. My head is held erect, my face not pressed down hard in to the comb just to see through the scope - cheek weld many call it.
For me, that is uncomfortable - I like to shoot standing as I walk - erect.
I agree that when shooting at really long ranges, a lower harder hold might be beneficial, however I don't need it.

Each to their own..but not me..

I despise holding my head high on a firearm in order to look through the scope...there is a big difference between being comfortable and forcing your face into a stock to the point of being uncomfortable..that's why they make low, med and high mounts.. to eliminate this type of hold..

If you need to press your face into the stock your mounts are too low, get the next higher set..

Ripp

tinker
(.416 member)
13/02/18 02:32 PM

Joel, while we are discussing the parts of the grey rifle, who makes the bipod mount?

DORLEAC
(.333 member)
13/02/18 06:05 PM

Just before going filing some steel…quick replies to your questions:

HeymSR20, the rear mount has been filed by hand, not as a great challenge as it could appear, but the rings are machined before being hand finished.

Waidmannsheil, I meet Swarovski people at Nuremberg IWA next March. They have quality problems with the scopes assembled in USA but I don't think they will stop the Z3 range as they need that 1" tube range of optics for the US and Australian market. Will keep you informed.

tinker, the front bipod attachment is for a STEINERT NeoPod® Ultralight Hunting Bipod http://www.steinertsensingsystems.com/product-details/neopod-ultralight-hunting-bipod/

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Yochanan
(.375 member)
15/02/18 09:51 AM

Quote:

When we talk about Creedmoor we immediately think of a technical rifle made of high-tech materials, stainless steel, titanium, carbon, kevlar, etc.
I am well placed to know this as I use such a “tool” to hunt in my beloved mountains.
I have been interested in this cartridge since its inception and I can legitimately say that in France I was a forerunner, the majority of gunsmiths preferring to stick to the calibers that have proved their worth!
I had a lot of success and satisfaction hunting with the 6,5 Creedmoor and then I considered building a purely classic rifle for my personal use in this caliber.
I had set aside an Original Mauser “Kurz” receiver, steel in the white and never used ... but lacking the bolt and all the ancillaries.
To replace the missing bolt I used a rough draft from FZH that required a lot of adjustment work but allowed me to benefit from a small diameter firing pin hole.
All the other parts were made from various largely modified period elements that were on hand.
I took advantage of a 6.5x55 1/8" twist match quality barrel blank that I profiled to my taste before chambering it for the 6.5 Creedmoor.
I attach great importance to the metallic sights, which is why this rifle benefits from a combined moon sight at the front and a perfectly regulated rear sight in order to favor the snap shooting I like.
The wood appears much better after its shaping than in blank form and naturally the stock was fashioned very classically Dorleac style.
The scope is a Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 fitted on hand made claw mount, but the most important thing about this rifle, mine now, is its surprising accuracy, a true one holer printing cloverleaves all the day with 143 grains ELD-X…!

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Absolutely gobsmacking rifle...

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
15/02/18 01:14 PM

Quote:

I think the rifle is gorgeous. I have noticed that Europeans tend to have a "higher faced" shooting position and I have to admit to having no issue with my cheek riding higher on the comb to align with a scope.

Here's how Mauser did it circa 1939:

tinker
(.416 member)
15/02/18 01:37 PM

Thanks Joel!

Cheers
Tinker

xausa
(.400 member)
15/02/18 02:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think the rifle is gorgeous. I have noticed that Europeans tend to have a "higher faced" shooting position and I have to admit to having no issue with my cheek riding higher on the comb to align with a scope.

Here's how Mauser did it circa 1939:

You will note that the Mauser mount has provision for a "see through" feature, which allows the use of iron sights without removing the scope. This was in the day when scopes were considered unreliable additions to the sighting system and preference was given to mounts which allowed unimpeded access to the traditional sighting system. This is no longer the case, and there is no need to compromise stock design to give preference to one system over the other.

Back in the 1930's Griffin & Howe had the same system, with the scope mounted high enough to allow access to iron sights, even with the scope mounted.

Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
15/02/18 03:55 PM

Quote:

Waidmannsheil, I meet Swarovski people at Nuremberg IWA next March. They have quality problems with the scopes assembled in USA but I don't think they will stop the Z3 range as they need that 1" tube range of optics for the US and Australian market. Will keep you informed.

Thanks Joel.

Waidmannsheil.

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
15/02/18 04:15 PM

Quote:

You will note that the Mauser mount has provision for a "see through" feature, which allows the use of iron sights without removing the scope. This was in the day when scopes were considered unreliable additions to the sighting system and preference was given to mounts which allowed unimpeded access to the traditional sighting system. This is no longer the case, and there is no need to compromise stock design to give preference to one system over the other.

Back in the 1930's Griffin & Howe had the same system, with the scope mounted high enough to allow access to iron sights, even with the scope mounted.

My M1910 Mannlicher Schoenauer has see through claw mounts.

They are excellent for 'snap shooting' as, with the scope mounted, one has the instant option of using the scope (longer shots at slow or stationary targets) or open sights for small fast things. The 'cheek meld' of the pre WW2 MS stock offers an instant sight picture through the iron sights when the rifle is brought to battery.

The Stoeger Catalog page reproduced in my previous post recommends that those with Mauser rifles that were not factory equipped with a scope may use the "special Stoeger Side Mount and Two Piece Mount illustrated and described in this catalog on pages 238 and 245."

The mount shown on page 238 is in the 'high' European style (so much that it generously clears the bolt mounted peep sight shown), the mount on page 245 is considerably lower and does not provide a 'see through' view of the iron sights when mounted.

It seems that, even in 1939, shooters of either preference could be readily accommodated.

From page 238 (1939 Stoeger):

And page 245:

Claydog
(.375 member)
15/02/18 05:05 PM

My M1910 Mannlicher Schoenauer has see through claw mounts.

They are excellent for 'snap shooting' as, with the scope mounted, one has the instant option of using the scope (longer shots at slow or stationary targets) or open sights for small, fast things. The 'cheek meld' of the pre WW2 MS stock offers an instant sight picture through the iron sights when the rifle is brought to battery.

I find see through mounts awful to use. The thing with open sights is you have that unobstructed field of view that lets you see the big picture as well as the sights. Looking through the mounts takes that away and I find the scope and mounts very distracting when trying to snap shoot. If the scope is there I instinctively look through it no matter how high or low it is. Much prefer to use the claw mounts and just take it off. Actually prefer no mounts at all.

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
15/02/18 05:14 PM

Quote:

The thing with open sights is you have that unobstructed field of view that lets you see the big picture as well as the sights.

Much prefer to use the claw mounts and just take it off. Actually prefer no mounts at all.

Thus the beauty of claw mounts. Versatility.

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
15/02/18 05:27 PM

On the topic of 'old school' scopes:

Claydog
(.375 member)
15/02/18 06:09 PM

Graticules, don't hear that a lot these days. 1,2 or 3 for me.

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
15/02/18 09:21 PM

Quote:

Graticules, don't hear that a lot these days. 1,2 or 3 for me.

The Gerard 'B' on my M1910 has the #1 type.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com