MFC
(.275 member)
01/05/13 06:23 PM
MANTON & CO. TYPE A SQUARE BRIDGE MAUSER RIFLE

I stumbled across these pictures on an auction site and thought the forum would appreciate them. An absolutely stunning example of the rifle making art.

*MANTON & CO. TYPE A SQUARE BRIDGE MAUSER RIFLE. SN 98538. Cal. .404 Jeffery. 24" Tapered round bbl is fitted with typical Type A Mauser sights and sling loop, with sleeved-on bases. Rear island base mounts one standing, four folding leaf express rear sight, graduated from 100 to 500 yards. Silver bead front sight is dovetailed through standard ramp. Top of bbl is marked "Manton & Co, Gunmakers, Calcutta & Delhi", and is also engraved "Vickers". Rear portion of bbl is engraved "Cal. 404" on top. Left side is stamped with Ferlach proofs, "SDM", and "STL2", as well as caliber designation "10.75 X 72" and SN. Standard length commercial Mauser action with integral checkered square bridge, is stippled on receiver ring, which is also stamped with German and Ferlach proofs, along with SN. Sidewall of action is stamped "Waffenfabrik Mauser - Oberndorf a/n". Action is fitted with single pull trigger. Bolt has classic commercial Mauser turned down handle with pear-shaped knob. Drop box bottom metal, with SN matching action, has hinged floorplate with release button in trigger guard bow, and is engraved with nicely cut small Germanic scroll with central rose bouquet. Spectacular flame figured walnut full pistol grip stock measures 14-1/2" over Silver type pad, and features right hand shadow line cheekpiece, horn grip cap, reinforcing bolt behind recoil lug, horn forend tip, a sling eye and vacant gold oval on bottom, and point pattern checkering with mullered borders at slight diamond grip and forend. Drop at heel: approx 3-1/8", drop at comb: approx 1-5/8". Weight: 8 lbs. 8 oz, LOP 14-1/2". CONDITION: Excellent, as refinished. Metal parts retain nearly all of their nicely polished re-blue, slightly silvered on high edges. Newer stock retains nearly all of its fine rubbed oil finish, with a few minor handling marks. Bore is excellent, bright and shiny with strong rifling throughout.

grandveneur
(.400 member)
01/05/13 08:22 PM
Re: MANTON & CO. TYPE A SQUARE BRIDGE MAUSER RIFLE

A very nice rifle .

I am not a expert , but it look like a hybrid German/British ! A German production for Manton & Co or a restored rifle ?

I have a old 11,2x72 original Schüler rifle also stamped Lyon & Lyon Calcutta .

Igorrock
(.400 member)
01/05/13 08:56 PM

Those caliber markings (10.75x73) looks like later made so maybe this rifle has been re-proofed in Ferlach. The stock looks IMO quite new too...

DORLEAC
(.333 member)
01/05/13 08:58 PM

Typically a 10,75x73 "A" type MAUSER made in Oberndorf circa 1928, up-graded with engraving and new stock.
"Cal. 404" marking on top of barrel seems an addition before Austrian proofing.
Manton & C° was a Mauser distributor and sold many Oberndorf made rifles stamped with their name (as Lyons in Calcutta or Charles Heyer in Nairobi)

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Igorrock
(.400 member)
01/05/13 09:41 PM

If you look Jon Speed´s mauser book page 163 you´ll find two pictures of Mauser type A markings from approximately same years as the rifle in pictures above. One of them marked just as .404. IMO those caliber markings looks to made much more carefully.

justcurious
(.333 member)
01/05/13 10:28 PM

That rifle started its life as a 10,75x68
was rechambered and reproofed in Ferlach.
A new stock added.
The Caliber markings with incorrect type and incorrect designation.(10,75x72 instead of 10,75x73 ! )

Nevertheless an useable hunting rifle.

grandveneur
(.400 member)
01/05/13 11:44 PM

It's possible that this rifle was rechambered or rebarreled and restored , but 10,75x72 is a designation sometimes in use . The same cartridge 11,2x72 Schüler was produced under the name 11,2x71 Rapid in Austria .

justcurious
(.333 member)
02/05/13 01:02 AM

For more than 30 years up to now ,I have never encountered an original Oberndorf commercial rifle in .404 caliber with standard length action.

All the .404 rifles using a more or less overworked standard length action(as is the case here) are not genuine Oberndorf made.

Interesting why the magazine box of the rifle in concern has the straddle type floor plate.

Have you any source for the (maybe Austrian) designation 10,75 x 72 instead of 10,75x73 ?

The SDM on the barrel behind the Ferlach proof marks is the date of proof and means : May (19)95

casper50
(.400 member)
02/05/13 01:03 AM

A lot of drop for a new stock.

Igorrock
(.400 member)
02/05/13 01:35 AM

Quote:

A lot of drop for a new stock.

It suits very well for a rifle without any mounts for scope. I think it´s a little modified copy of the original one.

grandveneur
(.400 member)
02/05/13 04:07 AM

Yes , and now , as far as we know , it's a WRONG old Manton rifle in a WRONG stock with the WRONG bolt action for this WRONG denominated caliber !

Who buy it and tested it in the field , it's may be a RIGHT buffalo killer !

justcurious
(.333 member)
02/05/13 04:39 AM

Quote:

That meets it precisely.

Igorrock
(.400 member)
02/05/13 04:55 AM

Quote:

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

mckinney
(.400 member)
02/05/13 06:02 AM

Too much going on with this rifle to figure out exactly how it came to be as it is, but still it's a nice looking piece that will probably last another 80 years.

I wonder what the hammer price was? Without knowing I'd guess 6k or better, depending how long ago the auction was.

deepwoods
(.275 member)
05/05/13 10:49 AM

Most likely refurbished, refinished, restocked and rechambered in Austia originally probably a 10.75X68, the "72" appears to not be the same font of the "10.75" which looks to be original Mauser type font. Maybe the reason they refinished it after scrubbing the "68". Any way thats just my opinion. Nice rifle but I don't see the collector value.

MFC
(.275 member)
19/05/13 11:50 AM

Thanks for the information guys. I had no idea there was so much going on with this rifle.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com