FrankFarmer
(.300 member)
01/08/11 11:24 AM
Oberndorf Mauser Model B, 9.3 x 62 square bridge

Oberndorf Mauser Model B, 9.3 x 62 square bridge with Zeiss Zielvier 4X scope in FACTORY Oberndorf mounts. SN 805XX, Double set triggers All numbers matching. All originaL blue 90% Stock has been refinished some time ago. Excellent wood and metal.

lancaster
(.470 member)
02/08/11 03:54 AM
Re: Oberndorf Mauser Model B, 9.3 x 62 square bridge

great mauser rifle but miss the second scope that probably was a Zeiss Ziel 6. no problem to replace this in the fatherland

FrankFarmer
(.300 member)
02/08/11 10:02 AM

Thanks, would be nice to have both scopes, its early yet.

mckinney
(.400 member)
02/08/11 07:29 PM

beautiful rifle. I love the wood in the butt stock. Really outstanding for a standard grade rifle.

Buchsemann
(.333 member)
03/08/11 04:47 AM

That is a good looking 9.3X62 for sure. I'd like to have one of my own someday.

lancaster
(.470 member)
03/08/11 04:58 AM

Quote:

Thanks, would be nice to have both scopes, its early yet.

I think it was a Zeiss Ziel 6 or maybe a Ziel 8. will be good if you have the chance to test this before you spend money for an original scope.
you can find it from time to time on egun or ebay germany but I fear it would not go under 300 euro in good condition. this scopes were very expensive pre war and hard to find.
I would look for a good mechanic who can made a second pair of front and rear feet like the one's you have with the Ziel 4. chance is very high that they were of the same model.

lancaster
(.470 member)
06/08/11 02:45 PM

here is such a Zeiss Ziel 6
http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=3427938 asking price is very high but you get an imagination

because of the knowledge you find in the world web it would be hard today to find such an scope cheap
,interesting Emil Kerner /Suhl engraving btw

FrankFarmer
(.300 member)
11/08/11 03:43 AM

Thank you for your information and interest. Finding original Oberndorf scope rings to mate with the scope might be the hard part!

lancaster
(.470 member)
12/08/11 03:45 AM

I would go with the original scope rings to a good tool maker and let it duplicate. for a good craftsman its an easy job and your chance to find such rings somewhere is next to nothing.

justcurious
(.333 member)
12/08/11 06:39 AM

I believe things are easier in that special case.

A closer look to the details of the additional mount show the typical work of the 1950/1960 period.

The socket soldered on , the thinner and slighly longer base for the claws. And certainly the surface treatment of that base will differ from that one slotted into the receiver ring(the original base!)

There is no logical reason that somebody had mounted a Zeiss Zielvier and a Zeiss Zielsechs in the days when the rifle was assembled.

BTW : The price for one scope equalled the price of the rifle.

Do what the preowner did.

Choose a more modern scope (post WWII) and let it mount by a competent and knowledgeable smith.

That will not sacrifice the originality of the rifle(at least no more than still was done ).

lancaster
(.470 member)
13/08/11 01:39 AM

not so unusual, I have seen such combinations more than once but most times a 4x and a 8x scope. why? because there wasnt a variable scope in this time and the ziel 4 scope comes to an end on longer range. its true that such big scopes were very expensive in this days and out of the reach of the common hunter.
you are maybe right that the second base on the barrel was made later, maybe post war. good or bad that only the original scope survive with the rifle. whatever the new owner wish a most modern or period scope it can be done of course.

I would look for an old scope, imho

Contact Us NitroExpress.com