mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
29/05/09 11:33 AM
Dorleac and Dorleac Best Grade Rifle

I was recently contacted by Mr Joel Dorleac the owner of Dorleac and Dorleac in France and I have been having a most pleasant conversation with him about his guns. The firm is tiny - just 3 people - and it specializes in rifles made mostly on Mauser actions, wither original Oberndorf or DWM actions or highly modified new Johannsens depending upon what their buyers want. Mr Dorleac prefers to follow the lines of the pre war Mauser and British sporters on the Mauser action and I have the following pictures of a .300 H&H rifle that he built on an original Oberndorf action recently. The rifle is the firm's Best Grade. I shall invite Mr Dorleac to comment - in the meantime, do enjoy the pictures as below:

Good hunting, everyone!

RHB
(.300 member)
29/05/09 12:28 PM
Re: Dorleac and Dorleac Best Grade Rifle

Very nice and in a calibre I'd like to own someday.

Does Mr. Dorleac offer the stocks with a cast-off/in?

Thanks.

Rustam

VonGruff
(.400 member)
29/05/09 07:46 PM

Style dosent go out of style. What was best still is

Very nice.

Von Gruff.

ozhunter
(.400 member)
29/05/09 08:54 PM

Yes, I would be happy with a 9.3x62 and 404 in that design of rifle.
Very nice indeed.
Maybe an inch shorter barrel for my Zimbabwean Bush hunting?

9.3x57
(.450 member)
29/05/09 10:28 PM

Very nice indeed.

Mehul, you are a miner of some of the finest nuggets of gunlore!

The only thing I wonder about is that the way I creep a stock I'm pretty sure I'd eat that scope with any caliber that kicks more than a .308.

Beautiful work tho.

eljefedouble
(.300 member)
30/05/09 08:02 AM

Thanks mehul, sounds good in a 404...

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
30/05/09 11:42 AM

Rustam,

These are custom rifles. You should be able to get what options you want.

Von Gruff / Ozhunter / Asif,

My pleasure. I should have some more rifles in other classic styles to post pictures of shortly.

9.3x57,

I'm happy to learn more about guns, and of course, since I have the skills of someone who is all toes, I have the greatest respect for craftsmen of fine guns. It was a pleasant surprise for me to hear from Mr Dorleac in response to a post about history on another forum and then to talk to him about guns. This is a conversation that I have enjoyed and I have one more good friend because of an interest in guns - isn't this the greatest hobby of all?

Best wishes, gentlemen, and good hunting!

gpsb
(.275 member)
05/01/10 04:07 PM

Dandy rifles.

88MauSporter
(.375 member)
05/01/10 05:08 PM

French Mauser Sporter! I think the f
French sportsman is very underestimated. Beautiful piece of work.

dons
(.333 member)
06/01/10 04:21 AM

Between this rifle and the Kurz action example shown earlier, Mr. Dorleac has captured the very essence of the timeless design of the early British Mausers. Nice to see them still being made this way in today's world.

500grains
(.416 member)
06/01/10 08:28 AM

Mr. Dorleac does beautiful work.

Squarebridge
(.300 member)
06/01/10 05:41 PM

That's a sweet little rifle. I would love to see a closeup of that front sight to see all that's going on there. He really captures the flavor of British work - looks especially like Holland to my eyes. I don't like the "waving scroll" banner on the trigger guard, though, if I could pick a nit.

.500grains: Man, your dancing avatar completely blows my concentation every time!

xausa
(.400 member)
07/01/10 03:41 AM

I was very much taken with the rifle up to the point I saw the scope the owner had chosen to mount on it. It appears to be a variable of at least a maximum power of 12X, which in my opinion has no place in the hunting field, and moreover spoils the looks of an otherwise flawlessly executed classic rifle, completely aside from the fact that anyone who shot it would put his shooting eye in jeopardy from the lack of eye relief.

I am aware of the argument in favor of the high powered scopes on powerful hunting rifles, that their light gathering qualities are essential for shooting wild boar by moonlight, but why pervert a classic beauty like this for such a specialized purpose, when a fiberglass stocked modern bolt action would serve the purpose just as well, if not better?

Such a scope puts the rifle completely out of balance by overwhelming its visual image. It is the first thing someone notices about the rifle, seeing it for the first time, like the sails on a sailboat attract the viewer's attention first, before the shape of the boat's hull. The scope should complement the rifle, not compete with it for attention.

It is as though someone had commissioned an exact reproduction of the Venus de Milo in bronze, and then had it chrome plated and used it as a hood ornament for his Hummer.

My own .300 H&H, a much abused pre-64 Model 70 Winchester, has accounted for about 90 head of African game, all with a Lyman 4X All American Perma Center scope in Weaver mounts. It would never win a beauty contest, but as a practical rifle, I much prefer it to an overscoped monstrosity.

rigbymauser
(.400 member)
08/01/10 11:39 PM

A truly gracefull rifle.

It`s nice to see the H&H .30 Super is again starting to regain territory ...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com