MattieA
(.275 member)
08/04/18 06:27 AM
Genuine Mannlicher-Schoenauer M1900?

I bought this a few years ago in Germany, and am wondering if it is indeed a genuine M1900. There appear to be several different serial numbers. It looks like the original front scope base was dovetailed through the front receiver ring, and a Mannlicher-Schoenauer type mounting system installed later, with the front base mounted on the barrel, and the original dovetail plugged and re-matted.

[image]http://[/image]

casper50
(.400 member)
08/04/18 06:47 AM
Re: Genuine Mannlicher-Schoenauer M1900?

The factory would not have put a number on the stock in that position. It looks just like mine except mine is a takedown.

paradox_
(.375 member)
08/04/18 08:21 AM

Mattle
The number on your stock may represent an arsenal/inventory number placed there by previous owner(s). I have a 1910 with the same thing, and at least one Original Mauser that has the Safari companys inventory number stamped in the same place. Sometimes individuals initials were included.
It may even be a retailers inventory number, but never in my experience are these " stock" numbers related to the makers serial numbers....hope this helps.

Eric

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
08/04/18 04:30 PM

What is the chambering of your stutzen?

The 'Crown BNP' proof on your bolt is from the Birmingham Proof House and dates 1954 or later.

Your receiver was manufactured no later than 1926 - 27, as the 'Oesterr. Waffenfabr. ges. -Steyr' roll marking was changed to 'Steyrer - Werke AG' at that time.

https://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/en/company/

The stock is of the early style with rounded grip (most have a flattish grip with steel or horn grip cap. An available 'cost option' of the pre-WW2 years was a removable horn cap which housed extra sight beads.

The M1900 was the original Mannlicher Schoenauer as introduced at the 1900 World's Fair. From what I have read, George Gibbs then became the sole importer of MS actions to British gunmakers. Those manufactured prior to the Greek military contract (1903) were roll stamped 'M1900' on the front receiver ring, as the later commercial MS were marked 'M1903, M1905, M1908, M1910, M1924'. Some sources say the early Gibbs imports were bare actions, some say barreled, some say that they were in a 'blocked', or inletted and semi finished stock.

If yours is a pre - 1903 MS it may be rather 'special', even with the damage. You may wish to carefully disassemble and look for the earliest proofs. My impression is that this may be an early British 'custom' which has seen modifications / reproofing since.

This is a novice opinion, as I am certainly not an expert.

kuduae
(.400 member)
08/04/18 11:11 PM

Here are some lousy photos of another Mannlicher – Schoenauer M1900 Stutzen just like your's: Same stock shape with round pistol grip. Same peculiar front sight base. Same receiver ring inscription.

One feature distinguishing the M1900 from the M1903: The M1900s had a flat spring inlaid into the left side of the cocking piece, retaining the firing pin nut. The M1903 omitted this unnecessary spring, replacing it with a small tab on the bottom of the nut..

Early M1900s had the cartridge release button on the outside of the action rail, between metal and wood. Later? ones, like your's aqnd the one shown above , had it inside the action rail just like all other M-Schs from the 1903 on.

Be careful on disassembling a M1900 bolt(I learned it the hard way): Like with the later M-Schs, you remove the bolt from the action and uncock it. You push the safety flag forward a bit an swing it to the right, safe position. Now you unscrew the striker nut a quarter turn. On the later M-Schs the bolt head stays captive and has to be turned to remove it, striker and main spring. Not so on the M1900: As soon as you remove the striker nut, the mainspring will eject itself, the striker, bolt head, extractor and ejector out of the bolt body. These parts usually fly into the darkest corners of your room, after shattering a precious Ming China object. Especially the tiny extractor likes to disappear forever.

2152hq
(.300 member)
09/04/18 12:03 AM

Nice looking rifle.

I notice that the recv'r ring pic of the 1900 in kuduae's post has the same repair in it that the OP's has. An old scope base dovetail fitted with a blank, shaped and matted to hide it.

Doesn't really mean anything, just an observation.

Didn't know that about the firing pin retaining nut spring on the 1900 nor the early style cartridge release tab placement.

Thanks for all the postings..great pics.

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
09/04/18 12:40 AM

Great information, Kuduae. I always enjoy your posts.

Have you considered disassembling the M1900 bolt with your hands (and the bolt) in a box with holes in the ends? That or with a towel over hands and bolt?

kuduae
(.400 member)
09/04/18 01:35 AM

Quote:

Have you considered disassembling the M1900 bolt with your hands (and the bolt) in a box with holes in the ends? That or with a towel over hands and bolt?

Nonsense!
Just disassemble the M1900 bolt like it's predecessors, M88 German "Commission", M92, M93, M95 (same a M92): Hold the bolt upright, the bolt head supported on a solid object like a table when unscrewing the striker nut. Only difference: while the nuts of the predecessors are fully threaded, needing many full turns to unscrew, the M1900 nut comes off with a quarter turn like all MS bolts.

lancaster
(.470 member)
09/04/18 01:35 AM

its a childs play against the vergueiro bolt

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
09/04/18 05:44 PM

Quote:

Not so on the M1900: As soon as you remove the striker nut, the mainspring will eject itself, the striker, bolt head, extractor and ejector out of the bolt body. These parts usually fly into the darkest corners of your room, after shattering a precious Ming China object. Especially the tiny extractor likes to disappear forever.

???

MattieA
(.275 member)
15/04/18 12:12 PM

Thanks everyone!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com