deeangeo
(.300 member)
10/02/18 04:38 PM
Hodgdon European Loading data

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloadin...ber-reload-data

I know this info has been posted before, but a reminder might be helpful to someone new to this site

DarylS
(.700 member)
10/02/18 06:09 PM
Re: Hodgdon European Loading data

TKS

deeangeo
(.300 member)
09/03/18 06:16 PM

There’s now an issue in the UK and I presume the EU.
Apparently due to EU reg changes, Hodgdon propellants are no longer to be exported to or imported by EU countries.
At present my understanding is that IMR is to continue for a while, but is likely to be withdrawn from supply unless these propellants become EU compliant.

Anyone know more?

Rule303
(.416 member)
09/03/18 09:22 PM

What is EU Compliant in powders, or is this a Tariff type situation to increase EU powders in the EU?

DarylS
(.700 member)
10/03/18 05:17 AM

EU compliant likely means made in the EU or by companies with EU contracts, likely. I think countries in the EU are only allowed to deal with EU accepted trading partners.

The UK is still fighting about leaving the EU - the globalists are still fighting Brexit.

All Politics.

deeangeo
(.300 member)
10/03/18 05:18 AM

No idea in what respect regs have changed, but the nett result at present is that as Hodgdon propellants are depleted from stockists, they will not be replaced.

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
10/03/18 02:05 PM

Quote:

EU compliant likely means made in the EU or by companies with EU contracts, likely. I think countries in the EU are only allowed to deal with EU accepted trading partners.

The UK is still fighting about leaving the EU - the globalists are still fighting Brexit.

All Politics.

Or it could be this (found within seconds by 'Googling' "EU compliant gunpowder"):
web page

More:
web page

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
10/03/18 03:43 PM

Quote:

What is EU Compliant in powders, or is this a Tariff type situation to increase EU powders in the EU?

Here is a discussion regarding the ban. It's due to a chemical used in some U.S. propellants that is not compliant with 'Reach' regulations, which restrict importation of or 'introduction to the market' of the European Union any chemicals deemed to be harmful.

A link:
web page

Here's another:
web page

Another:
web page

More:
web page

This one seems to pretty well spell it out:
Guns and Zen

Rule303
(.416 member)
10/03/18 06:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Here is a discussion regarding the ban. It's due to a chemical used in some U.S. propellants that is not compliant with 'Reach' regulations, which restrict importation of or 'introduction to the market' of the European Union any chemicals deemed to be harmful.

A link:
web page

Here's another:
web page

Another:
web page

More:
web page

This one seems to pretty well spell it out:
Guns and Zen

OK so an EU compliant powder is one the EU can control and make money from. ie Political tariff in disguise.

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
10/03/18 06:28 PM

Quote:

OK so an EU compliant powder is one the EU can control and make money from. ie Political tariff in disguise.

Or they just don't like dibutyl phthalate.
web page

Somehow I'm certain they still sell cigarettes by the truckload, though.

Rule303
(.416 member)
11/03/18 09:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Or they just don't like dibutyl phthalate.
web page

Somehow I'm certain they still sell cigarettes by the truckload, though.

Yeah. But I just see it as a commercial move on the EH's part. Most likely driven by the powder companies over there in which the law makers have shares. Maybe I am just becoming very cynical with age.

deeangeo
(.300 member)
11/03/18 11:14 PM

Quote:

Looks to me like a complete ban on propellants manufactured in the USA being enforced in stages by the use of a 'marginal' health & safety ruling by the EU.
Plainly supporting EU manufactured propellants.

Whoever heard of anyone being 'harmed' by handling and using nitro propellants?
Billions of round manufactured, handloaded and fired over the last 100+ years, and now they worry about health and safety????
Absolute BS.

Effectively I view it as a trade embargo.

CarlsenHighway
(.300 member)
13/03/18 07:06 PM

How much was Hodgdon selling in Europe anyway though?

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
13/03/18 10:03 PM

Quote:

I suspect not much, from what I've read.

The EU ban of dibutyl phthalate under REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals) was announced several years ago and, from what I understand, the European manufacturers have brought their products into compliance well ahead of the June, 2018 cutoff.

The process of applying for and gaining REACH acceptance of products to 'enter the EU market' carries with it some considerable expense. That, in addition to the R&D required to change powders that already sell well in the U.S., may simply have left our U.S. manufacturers less than enthused to make the change.

On the other hand, Hodgdon / IMR has, indeed, introduced some REACH compliant powders recently for pistol and shotgun applications:

Hodgdon/IMR

deeangeo
(.300 member)
15/03/18 04:39 PM

Quote:

In comparison to US sales, probably not so much, but its a pain to have to switch propellants and go through load development again.

eagle27
(.400 member)
15/03/18 05:56 PM

The Hodgdon H series of powders are not made by Hodgdon or even made in the USA they are manufactured in Australia and known as ADI powders, just renamed for Hodgdons US market.
As far as I know both NZ and Australia have contracts with EU countries.

Maybe the ADI AR powders are available in Europe direct from Oz?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com