Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
11/10/17 09:29 PM
Clint Eastwood with MS Takedown

Here's a few pix from a little noticed 1990 film titled 'White Hunter, Black Heart'

The film starred Eastwood in a semi biographical role based on famed director John Houston as viewed by a young writer who had been brought to Africa to finish the screenplay of The African Queen.

In one scene Eastwood's character is outfitting for safari at an expensive salon when he says (iirc), "and throw in a couple of these little six point fives, the Mannlichers."

MS takedown rifles are featured in several scenes. It's not a bad flick, I have it on DVD.

Even Clint can't help but smile when holding a Mannlicher Schoenauer

BR.

Ripp
(.577 member)
12/10/17 12:25 AM
Re: Clint Eastwood with MS Takedown

Remember watching that movie..while it will never be a classic, was interesting to watch..

Ripp

500Boswell
(.400 member)
12/10/17 08:30 AM

Hollywood crock unfortunately ,and the hunting scene with ele was rot

Marrakai
(.416 member)
14/10/17 01:09 PM

'Fraid I must agree.
Interesting rifles and Africana notwithstanding, perhaps Clint's worst movie ever...?

buckbrush
(.300 member)
14/11/17 03:57 PM

I believe in real life the writer working for Houston was Ray Bradbury.

twobobbwana
(.333 member)
14/11/17 04:49 PM

All I got out of it was that they filmed it at Vic Falls Hotel and I was there in 87.

As far as I was concerned it was one of Clint's "arty" films. Supposed to have a message in it.

I was very disappointed with it. To the point of avoiding buying a copy.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
15/11/17 10:44 PM

LongDropBucket was up again displaying images so fixed these and moved them to the NE server. Yep they are available elsewhere in the net anyway, but easier from the thread image source.

Claydog
(.375 member)
16/11/17 09:00 AM

I didn't mind the movie at all. Would rather watch it than most of the movies coming out of Hollywood these days.

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
17/11/17 03:48 PM

Quote:

LongDropBucket was up again displaying images so fixed these and moved them to the NE server. Yep they are available elsewhere in the net anyway, but easier from the thread image source.

Thanks, John.

CarlsenHighway
(.300 member)
09/01/18 03:10 AM

Quote:

I believe in real life the writer working for Houston was Ray Bradbury.

Ray Bradbury never worked on pictures with John Houston...

The writer was Peter Viertel, who was a screenwriter and novelist who worked with both John Houston and also Hemingway.
The story is based on John Houston and the shooting of the African Queen. The novel and movie "White Hunter Black Heart" is not really about African hunting things, but is an insider Hollywood movie making piece.
But John Houston was into hunting in Africa and actually did make the movie on location in the Congo just so he could do it. (There is a good photograph taken by Katherine Hepburn of Houston cleaning his guns, she captioned it: "John Houston, with his first love")

Peter Viertel also wrote another book called "Dangerous Friends" which was about his relationship with Houston and Hemingway.

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
09/01/18 07:57 PM

Quote:

(There is a good photograph taken by Katherine Hepburn of Houston cleaning his guns, she captioned it: "John Houston, with his first love")

Found on the 'net:

Anjelica Huston has a house not far from where I sit. I know people who tend to her horses when she's away. Perhaps I should arrange to meet her and ask if she has any of these Mannlichers?

web page

Rule303
(.416 member)
10/01/18 09:42 AM

Rothhammer1 thanks for posting those photos. They are, in my eyes, classics.

eagle27
(.400 member)
10/01/18 03:36 PM

Clint looks to have big hands/very long fingers. In the second colour photo where he is sighting through the scope on the MS his hand and fingers, especially the trigger finger look quite cramped holding the pistol grip and he is holding his little pinky clear of the grip, it looks very long. Maybe it is just the slim MS grip that is accentuating this?

I understand in real life (not as Dirty Harry) he is competent with the 44 Magnum. He does look to have hands suited to the big revolver?

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
10/01/18 08:35 PM

I've never met Mr. Eastwood but your observations are likely correct.

I'm a six footer with big paws, a Mannlicher Schoenauer M1910 Takedown, and a .44Mag Ruger Vaquero.

I installed large (checkered walnut) custom wraparound grips on the Ruger so it wouldn't 'climb', and the MS does have a very narrow wrist. It's actually very svelte, throughout, as can be seen in the photo of Mr. Huston and the 'belly up' Mannlichers.

At the Mannlicher's widest point it is still rather an easy reach to press the magazine release with the left middle finger while balancing the rifle in the left palm. The right hand, with practice, catches the expelled rounds.

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
10/01/18 08:54 PM

Quote:

Rothhammer1 thanks for posting those photos. They are, in my eyes, classics.

It was CarlsenHighway's post that prompted me to look for them, so thanks all around!

I have the book, 'The Making of the African Queen (or, How I Went to Africa with Bogart, Bacall, and Huston and almost lost my mind)' by Hepburn, and didn't recall these photos being in it.

I found 'em on the wonderful, terrible, internet after some digging.

No offense to Huston, Bogart, Bacall, but to me there is no doubt who are the 'stars' of these photos:

Contact Us NitroExpress.com