hunta223rem
(.224 member)
31/07/14 05:01 PM
mannlicher schoenauer proof marks

hi guys
is there any way of tracing the seller of a gun by the proof marks?
for example my mod1910 mannlicher rifle has london and vienna proofmarks (several types)
and i know a few english gunmakers bought in mannlichers and onsold them i.e army&navy,cogswell etc
any help greatly appreciated

darwinmauser
(.300 member)
31/07/14 10:46 PM
Re: mannlicher schoenauer proof marks

Proof marks are what they are,they are not stamped on to the rifle by the retailer. in England it was common Practice for the retailers to put their name and address on finished rifles such as Lee Speeds or buy semi finished rifles and finish them to their own standards or customers specifications. The proof house applied their stamps well before the retail trade got hold of them, or in the case of your rifle the Austrian proof house got it before it was finished and the British proof house got it when it arrived in England.

hunta223rem
(.224 member)
01/08/14 12:39 AM

so theres probably no way of tracing who retailed the particular gun in england?

kuduae
(.400 member)
01/08/14 01:00 AM

If there isn't a retailer's address engraved or stamped on the barrel, NO WAY! As the Steyr factory records are lost, the serial number does not help.

deeangeo
(.300 member)
14/05/15 03:28 AM

If you have London proof house number & date stamp on the barrel, their archives if they still have the info. should be able to show to which retailer the rifle was returned.
The retailer would order the rifle from Ges. Steyr and when it arrived, they would send it to the proof house for proof. The rifle would then be returned to the retailer for sale/supply to their customer.

These days, no proof in the UK is now required as the Austrian/German proof is fully recognised, unlike USA manufactured weapons which must be proofed in the UK prior to supply to customer.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com