lancaster
(.470 member)
29/01/14 10:55 PM
Mannlicher reviseted

some time ago I got a old and very shabby Mannlicher having what I thought than potential.
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=192237&an=0&page=5#Post192237

the rifle was laying on ice for a long time but I start now again

steal polished (80%), stock cleaned, sand and oiled

small parts were fire blued and good old mister dyson from the uk send my his blueing salt so it will look original again. thanks to Kuduae who point me on this.

action work dry with dutch surplus very well

this is an old pic showing the swivel screw "hammered" into the stock once

I close the hole and welded the srew's head on a disk, will be soft soldered on the barrel

for the scope I found a Kaps/Wetzlar 2,5x Ziellux
the rings will be extended what will go very nice because of the threads on the underside. I am looking fore pics showing old mannlicher with scope to get a feeling in which distance they build the scope over the rifle than.

I am looking for a lot of, maybe, 100 old .303 British brass cases with Berdan primer. must be british made brass or from any other country if it have the 6,34mm Berdan primer. I have a lot of RWS 6,34mm berdan primer and be a dandy enough to us them if geting brass.

Igorrock
(.400 member)
29/01/14 11:22 PM
Re: Mannlicher reviseted

Quote:

I am looking fore pics showing old mannlicher with scope to get a feeling in which distance they build the scope over the rifle than.

Maybe the scope is high enough when safety works i.e. the lever has enough space to turn. In our days it could be feel quite high but it seems to be normal when looking old Mausers and Mannlicher Schönauers.

lancaster
(.470 member)
30/01/14 12:18 AM

ah, the man who is responsible for this
because of you bought two of this damned mannlicher's, do you feel better now?

the scope is on the side so the safety will be not a problem

Igorrock
(.400 member)
30/01/14 10:35 AM

Quote:

Are you sure of that ? I have seen side attached mounts in british Mauser and those rings goes over the action, very similar way as in these fotos below.
With Mannlicher action you just can´t attach the rear mount same way as Mauser so only reasonable way is just screw it to action sidewall. RECKNAGEL sell upper billet rear mounts for MS so just buy pair of them for this project.

By the way; the only reason why I didn´t buy this rifle was just money, or actually, the lack of it.

Claydog
(.375 member)
30/01/14 02:05 PM

Lancaster you were right about the potential. Looking good. Very interested to see the final scope setup.

lancaster
(.470 member)
30/01/14 10:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Are you sure of that ? I have seen side attached mounts in british Mauser and those rings goes over the action, very similar way as in these fotos below.

its not possible to get the en-bloc clip into the action when the scope is in the way

chapmen
(.300 member)
31/01/14 05:06 AM

The early "steyr" or mannlicher side mounts are quite interesting and where made in some different types.
Here are pics from an Jackenkroll 4x42 scope with early mount, poorly the front mount is missing:

Igorrock
(.400 member)
31/01/14 05:14 AM

Quote:

its not possible to get the en-bloc clip into the action when the scope is in the way

Ok, I think yours rifle had steady clip as some Steyr rifles which I have seen. With those mounts it would be better if yours left eye is dominant...

lancaster
(.470 member)
31/01/14 06:20 PM

Quote:

thats an extreme example of an elegant scope feet and I wonder if this was hard enough

chapmen
(.300 member)
02/02/14 12:05 AM

If the work is proper done they are strong enough.

lancaster
(.470 member)
05/02/14 12:15 AM

ring soldered, 90% polished

Ash
(.400 member)
03/02/15 08:03 AM

Excellent, excellent! How'd this project progressing?

Cheers.

lancaster
(.470 member)
12/12/15 06:02 AM

sometimes ago I was making feets that can be screw into the rings on the lathe and give the rear feet to my tool maker for milling it. a 4mm steel plate was than welded in and the scope send to Kothe Optik in Wetzlar, its now disassempled. everything is right for the scope now to fit it into the old mount.

Igorrock
(.400 member)
12/12/15 09:50 AM

Nice to see that you at last have got working scope mounts to yours british Steyr.

mart
(.300 member)
14/12/15 09:48 AM

What an awesome project. I'm looking forward to more pics.

lancaster
(.470 member)
10/10/22 05:14 AM

here we go again

I see a scope mount https://snipercollection.com/

that reminds me on this mount

called purdey mount

93x64mm
(.416 member)
10/10/22 06:45 AM

What's the Purdy scope going on this time Lancaster?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com